autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

need help removing paint protective film

Hi Car experts,
    I have a problem and hopefully someone out there has a solution. My wife's 2002 Lexus rx300 had a clear paint protective film put on the front of her car several years ago. It is now starting to show it's age and I would like to remove it. Unfortunately because it has started to deteriorate it will only peel up in very small pieces.How can I remove this protective film without damaging the paint ?? Please help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need help removing paint protective film

Quote Originally Posted by snook1 View Post
    Hi Car experts,
    I have a problem and hopefully someone out there has a solution. My wife's 2002 Lexus rx300 had a clear paint protective film put on the front of her car several years ago. It is now starting to show it's age and I would like to remove it. Unfortunately because it has started to deteriorate it will only peel up in very small pieces.How can I remove this protective film without damaging the paint ?? Please help!!
    I'd try using a heat gun to loosen up the adhesive. That should make removal a lot easier. I've done this with dealer stickers that have been stuck on for a while. Just don't hold the heat gun in one place for too long. Then you can use an adhesive remover to remove any leftover glue.

Post Thanks / Like

ive installed many clear bra kits and they are removed the same way they are applied, with steam. use a steamer similiar to what you would use to dewrinkle your clothes. short bursts of steam will make the fil more elastic and peel off. depending on the age of the film, it may break in places but it will save you from pulling any paint with it

Post Thanks / Like

I've had luck letting the car sit out in the sun for a couple of hours and the clear bra comes right off with some weight behind it. Or, the heat gun as mentioned will also work.

Post Thanks / Like

I just removed the clear bra from my Lambo. No fun at all. Like Matt said, warm it up in the sun first. My experience was it kept tearing, so I'd have to start over. Keep the heat guns away from it. Too much risk of damage. Slow and steady will do it. It's going to take some time to finish. Then the hard part, the glue residue. Wash, clay, wash, clay......
    John
    Mean people suck

Mike Phillips

Moved out of "how to articles"

The forum "How to Articles" is actually for how to articles. Questions are best posted to a general forum like Detailing 101

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I removed protection film from a 2003 Passat using a hair dryer as a heat source then gently peeling back on the film. Took a bit of time to get it off, but not nearly as long as it took to clean the adhesive left behind. Get comfortable before you start that phase of the project. I think there is also information on removal at: Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp.
    They are a company out of San Antonio that sells clear bra and related products.