autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wool Pad on Rotary

Just purchased a rotary and am now piecing together my pad combo. I chose to go with the Kompressor pads for my foam pads, but I still am a little lost in the mix as for a wool pad.

I have heard great things about 3M wool pads, but I'm trying to do some research before I dive into it.

I've searched a bit and can't find anything as to what wool pads work best with what.

Is it all personal choice or is there actually certain things that each wool pad can and can't do?

Polishes being used are Meguiar's 105/205 and probably going to pick up Menzerna PO85RD.

Mike Phillips

Re: Wool Pad on Rotary

There are two general categories of wool pads, cutting and polishing.

What do you plan on doing the most with your rotary buffer?

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly cutting, then follow it up for a finishing polish via Kompressors. Then finsih off with a PC7424 to ensure no buffer trails.

I was reading you Foam and Wool pad section. Nice write ups man.

I also saw the Meguiar's Heavy cutting and polishing wool pads. This is the entire reason I'm making the thread lol. So much involved in the wool. I was told to stay away from wool on a PC and leave it to rotaries.

Mike Phillips

The most aggressive wool cutting pads are the pads that are,

Short pyle length
    100% Wool, not a wool and synthetic fiber blend
    Multi-ply and twisted

The first thing to do is to decide your attachment method, the three articles I recently wrote address both different brands of wool pads but also their attachment system.

Forum Group: Wool & Foam Buffing Pads

Articles

Hook and Loop Backing Plate
    Lake Country 7.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Aggressive Wool Cutting Pad

Lake Country 8.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool Twisted 100% Wool Aggressive Cutting Pads

Double Sided with 3M Adapter
    The Edge 8" Black 100% Domestic Wool Heavy Cut Pad

Double Sided with Rotary Buffer Adapter
    Meguiar's Double Sided 100% Wool Cutting Pad

All of the above are aggressive cutting pads. I find most quality name brand cutting pads do just what they're supposed to do and that's cut the paint. So it's more a matter of deciding the design, style and size. Smaller pads are easier to control while larger pads knock out huge chunks of work quicker.

I have not tried the Edge 8" Black 100% Wool Cutting pads but so far it's been the heftiest pad I've seen. I have used the Meguiar's double sized wool cutting pad and it works great.

Just as important as a good pad is a way of cleaning your pads. If you are doing a lot of buffing then consider getting a pad washer. I'm driving over 100 miles on Friday to buff out a car and I'm dang sure taking my pad washer with me. It will enable me to work cleaner, more effectively and thus faster.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have enough volume for a pad washer. Ill get one when money allows it though. Its a nice item to have. Thanks for the great help man.

On the double sided pads, does the center post contact the paint easily or do you pretty much have to deliberately press hard enough for it to happen? I like the idea of a double asided pad, but the center post scares me a little.

Also, how difficult is it to properly prime a wool pad? Does it take a lot of product?

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the 3M superbuff III wool pads over all the others, they finish better than the others. You will enjoy yjr Kompressor pads with the rotary, very user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

And you're the one that convinced me of getting them. I've seen a lot of your work and every time you harp on the kompressor pads. Your work alone is enough for me to at least give em a shot.

Are they easy to prime? That's my big issue. Priming the CCS pads is easy but what about kompressors?

Post Thanks / Like

You should consider a foam pad that can be used with both Rotary & DA polishers. Although people raved about the Kompressors when they came out, I don't believe the Kompressor pads work that great via DA? I'd also consider a flat style pad IMHO.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zinc02gt View Post
    And you're the one that convinced me of getting them. I've seen a lot of your work and every time you harp on the kompressor pads. Your work alone is enough for me to at least give em a shot.

Are they easy to prime? That's my big issue. Priming the CCS pads is easy but what about kompressors?
    Thanks for the kind words. You rub the product in like you do with a flat pad, just as easy.

If the rotary is new to you, I would suggest practicing with a wool pad since they will glide easier than a foam pad does. This way you can get a feel for the tool and learn how to manipulate it, then move on to your foam pads and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    If the rotary is new to you, I would suggest practicing with a wool pad since they will glide easier than a foam pad does. This way you can get a feel for the tool and learn how to manipulate it, then move on to your foam pads and go from there.

Great advice Dana!! The absolute best way to learn Rotary Usage 101. All my newbie detailers started out with Yellow LC Polishing Wool pads. Many people insist that these pads are taboo and should never need to be used, I say they're crazy.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast