autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

am I charging too much??

Im just start detailing 1 1/2 month ago. some of my friends who paid $30 into it, got a free detail from me. one sliver 08 vw passat *happy customer* and other is Honda s2000 which i created a lot of halograms, which i will be fixing for free.

Now im charging friend's friends at around $ 75 for a black Acura TSX and $ 90 for a red pickup truck. and no answer yet. even $30 for a new car prep for a 2010 GTI is too much? should I be charging nothing? sounds crazy to me if I do, cause I spend near $2000, just hoping to get little back.. they all getting

1)a foam wash or ONR,
    2)vacuum/clean interior and protect, clean windows,
    3)clean and protect wheels and wheel wells,
    4) clay,
    5)OPT poli-seal AIO,
    6) wax/sealant.

I duuno how yous start off, but for sure im not doing it for free. I will be doing a 3 step for a mazda miata this weekend, wash*clay*MEG 83* Meg 205* ultrafine* pinnacle series II wax, since they paid $30 into it a month back and im a friend who keeps promises.
    Last edited by flb18r; 12-28-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: am I charging too much??

happned to me a long time ago. friends who are too close arent the best customers because they expect a discount. people who dont know how much product and time into it dont know the true value. communicate to them what you are doing and what kind of products you are using.

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Post Thanks / Like

Plain and simple, set your prices and stick to them. Unless your friends or friends friends do something for you in exchange they do not deserve a discounted detail. If you start doing 3-steps for $30 you are setting yourself up for failure. Never deviate from your prices for anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do make it known you're doing it at a severe discount just to get your name out there and ask if you do it at a discounted price they help you get your business out there. I'd also ask them not to share the price or deal they are getting because if it gets out you couldn't do it for them anymore.

I've spent 15 hours on a car for $60 because it was family and I was experimenting. I've then did the same for $100 but actually got paid $150 because they were happy with the work.

One question, why are you doing both steps 5 & 6? Trying to make money I would do one or the other.

Do you have an accounting package or spreadsheet to keep track of your time so you can get an idea of your costs.

I'm coming to the conclusion, when I count for equipment, product, utilities etc, etc, your expertise etc. Plus you should consider Insurance if you're using a machine just in case. Whether you have it or not you need to be charging for it because if you do enough you'll either want it or pile the money up to self insure.

So unless I'm trying to drum up business, I planning on taking in somewhere between 30 to 40 an hour. If I don't get it, I'll buy some junk panels and have fun and give directions to the nearest Auto Bell.

Post Thanks / Like

Only people I give a discount to are repeat customers,my mother and wife. If they get more than one service at a time, I lower the total price. ie detail,odor removal,headlight restoration.I know way too many people to give friend discounts. I'd go under quick!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm starting out, I like to do friend's car for 50%, sorry if I didn't
    mention that. The $30 job is something I promised, and she knows it's a one time deal and she'll be taking me to have sushi, can't complain about that. I order some ragtop to clean the top, but won't be making it to NJ til next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02blackout View Post
    happened to me a long time ago. friends who are too close aren't the best customers because they expect a discount. people who dont know how much product and time into it don't know the true value. communicate to them what you are doing and what kind of products you are using.
    I have to agree. Friends are always looking for a deal. Find some local car forums and post your work. You will get some work from there. Also your prices are a bit low.

Your can take a look here for prices. Home Page My are considered to be very cheap. Also offer your first time clients 10% off. It is a great way to get them hooked.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

You need to jack up your prices quite a bit IMO. I usually aim for at least $40-50 an hour when detailing. Since you're starting out, you may want to discount this rate a little bit, but the customer will most likely not feel like they're getting quality work done if they're only paying $30-90 for a full detail.

My advice would be to detail whatever friends cars you're already obligated to, make up some flyers, take GOOD pictures of your work, build an online portfolio and get your work out on some forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice Matt
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Shine View Post
    Only people I give a discount to are repeat customers,my mother and wife. If they get more than one service at a time, I lower the total price. ie detail,odor removal,headlight restoration.I know way too many people to give friend discounts. I'd go under quick!
    Well stated.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast