autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DA Dilema

Post Thanks / Like

DA Dilema

I am looking to purchase soon and thought I would be happy with the Griots Dual Action but I just don't want to buy it only to upgrade to the edge in a few months.

If the edge 3401 is the cream of the crop, lets say it ranks a 10 out of 10, what would you rank the griots dual action?

My understanding is Griots can do what the edge does it just takes a few more passes. Is this a correct assumption?

If I am not a professional detailer, will I notice the differnce between the two DA's?

Please talk me into the less expensive DA!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Dilema

I am not sure I will do what you are asking. I owned a PC for about a year and after using a Flex just once, I sold the PC and bought the flex. I realize this is not what you want to hear, but the difference in performance and usability was quite substantial. The fact the flex has about 95% less vibrations then the PC (similar to the Griots) that I was used to, it was a no brainer. The only downside is the flex is quite heavy in comparison with the PC or Griots. The trade off is that you will be done in less time.

With that said, this might help your dilemma. If this is just a hobby, you are only going to need to polish your car once a year, maybe twice if it is really needed, so a PC or Griots is going to be fine for this purpose. It does take longer in each section to correct the paint, but again, unless you get addicted like I did and start wanting to detail everything in sight, save the money and spend it on pads, polish, washer, etc.
    Last edited by skizot; 12-04-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: DA Dilema

Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    With that said, this might help your dilemma. If this is just a hobby, you are only going to need to polish your car once a year, maybe twice if it is really needed, so a PC or Griots is going to be fine for this purpose. It does take longer in each section to correct the paint, but again, unless you get addicted like I did and start wanting to detail everything in sight, save the money and spend it on pads, polish, washer, etc.
    I agree with him, it really depends on how many and what cars your are doing. If you are doing yours then save the money and get the griots but if you are doing other peoples cars then consider the flex. AND if you choose to do others cars it also depends on what kind of cars you will be working on! I have detailed daily drivers and car turn in's for 8 years and with those for $100 inside and out, im not putting a show car finish on them. A regular DA will work, it gets most scratches out (given you have the right product/pad) and then put a nice wax over it and the customer will love you like a fat kid loves cake.
    Peace,
    Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Dilema

I was in your situation not long ago. I purchased the PC XP and not sure how it compares to the Griot's. However, I used it a couple of times one weekend. I plan to pratice and experiment and time adds up. I was told it just takes and extra hour or two on a car to get the same results but that adds up if you are experimenting and practicing.

So I sold my PC after I think it was a week and went with the 3401. Now I don't even consider them in the same category.

As has been mentioned, if you are just going to do your car, which really probably shouldn't be done too often, then you'll probably be fine.

However, if you catch the bug and want to get practice panels and start working on other peoples cars experimenting, I'd highly recommend getting the 3401. Knowing what I know now I wish I would have purchased it first.

On the flip side, if I hadn't purchased the XP, then I probably wouldn't appreciate how good the 3401 is. A downside though is it's backing plate. I'm now wanting some carpet brushes and I purchased some 4" & 5.5" LCS pads and they won't work with the 3401.