autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Steel wool (0000)

Can i use steel wool (0000) to clean the inside of some BMW wheels? I have used p21s gel cleaner and they are clean but has some rusted little spots all over the back side....i dont know if BMW wheels are coated on the back side.. Is it safe to use some p21s gel wheel cleaner with some steel wool to get them back to like new conditions only in the inside of the rim not on the outside? Thanks
    Last edited by 08krewkab; 11-12-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    2008 Ford F150 (Black)
    1999 Civic Si(Red)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steel wool (0000)

Quote Originally Posted by 08krewkab View Post
    Can i use steel wool (0000) to clean the inside of some BMW wheels? I have used p21s gel cleaner and they are clean but has some rusted little spots all over the back side....i dont know if BMW wheels are coated on the back side.. Is it safe to use some p21s gel wheel cleaner with some steel wool to get them back to like new conditions only in the inside of the rim not on the outside? Thanks
    Have you tried detailing clay yet? That would be my first choice before trying the steel wool.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, i did use a clay bar with no success.... that is why i was wanting to the the steel wool but dont want to damage it
    2008 Ford F150 (Black)
    1999 Civic Si(Red)

Mike Phillips

Steel wool is very aggressive against smooth surfaces, maybe take the wheels off and use a stiff wheel cleaning brush?

Make sure there's no protective coating before doing anything that can scratches the coating.

If they're not coated and you care more about getting them clean than anything else then pick up some green Scotch-Brite Pads, these are very aggressive but not as aggressive as steelwool.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^Good advice. I was slow on the tree.

Whatever damage you would inflict with the #0000 you could easily polish out with a fine metal polish.

If you are planning on keeping the "barrels" clean from now on, the it may be worth it to you to hit the entire inside with #0000, then polish and then seal them. This is assuming (quite dangerously) that the insides aren't coated however. If they are, you should take a much less aggressive approach for fear of eating off the coating unnecessarily.

One thing you could be fairly certain about though - the parts that are showing rust have either lost their coating, or never had it there.

Another option you have (depending on how bad it bothers you and how clean you want this area to remain) is to clean [#0000] and polish them, then clear coat them with a wheel spray. (eg:Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer Spray) I would trust my wheels to Wurth's products, as any I have ever used from them have been of excellent quality even though they wholesale. Then, protect them (wheel glaze/wax).

Now, what I am about to say is contraband in the world of pro detailing, but I have been surprised by it a few times.
    You could try rubbing the said areas with <cough>Turtle Wax Rubbing or Polishing Compound<cough>. I know, this is considered to be the devil in a can, but for the inside of wheels (or other not so precious hard parts) I have seen it take rust off and leave a nice [enough] finish behind. You can then perfect the area after that.

Just offering up some ideas. Maybe I didn't answer your question, but hopefully helped in some way.

DLB
    Last edited by DLB; 11-12-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Dalton and Mike....
    2008 Ford F150 (Black)
    1999 Civic Si(Red)

Mike Phillips

If the surface is textured, I've had good luck with a stiff nylon brush or brass brush and something like Comet

Stoddard Solvent, which is non-flammable parts cleaning solvent can work well too.

There's other things that clean really well but can damage the pretty surfaces...

Post Thanks / Like

The comment about "rusted little spots" probably means they are steel wheels, right?

If they are painted, then I wouldn't use anything but very mildly abrasive chemical cleaners.
    Anything you feel would scratch the paint on your car will probably scratch the paint on your wheels.

If they are chrome, the 0000 steel wool and a chrome cleaner will probably work as good as anything.
    The 0000 steel wool is not terribly aggressive and I have used and a chrome polish o some pretty badly rusted chrome with good luck. Rub gently.
    Surface rust is not too difficult to remove.
    The chrome can actually be pitted enough that you won't be able to do a lot with the problem. You will be able to remove the rust, but the only thing keeping the rust from coming back is whatever wax/sealant you apply.
    Try an area and see what happens. Doesn't sound like you are happy with the way they are now.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

0000 Steel wool is awesome for windows/glass, I wouldn't use on painted surfaces, but wheels are tough to say, whether coated or non etc. I have chrome wheels and it worked with AIO w/o damage but ya never know. I tested a small spot first, as it worked great to remove bits that were pitted that claying etc wouldn't. Test a small part first and then go from there.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

I use 0000 Steel Wool on tailpipes with great success too.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast