autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Horrible swirl marks!

How To Remove Horrible Rotary Buffer Swirl Marks out of a 350Z using the Wolfgang Twins

I got a 350Z at a very good price with a very bad detail. These pictures make me sick! LOL I just bought a porter cable 7424 PX, Wolfgang Total swirl remover 3.0, finishing glaze, orange light cutting pad and gray finishing pad, Wolfgang Deep gloss paint sealant, and Wolfgang instant detailing spritz.

Will these products accomplish the goals I am looking for. I am also open to new suggestions to try. Thank you!

Last edited by dunston; 10-26-2009 at 04:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Horrible swirl marks!

Quote Originally Posted by dunston View Post
    I got a 350Z at a very good price with a very bad detail. These pictures make me sick! lol I just bought a porter cable 7424 PX, Wolfgang Total swirl remover 3.0, finishing glaze, orange light cutting pad and gray finishing pad, Wolfgang Deep gloss paint sealant, and Wolfgang instant detailing spritz. Will these products accomplish the goals I am looking for. I am also open to new suggestions to try. Thank you!
    You should be able to knock out the swirls, although you may want/need a white pad in addition to the other pads you mentioned.

Make sure you post some pictures of your process.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mchess1 View Post
    You should be able to knock out the swirls, although you may want/need a white pad in addition to the other pads you mentioned.

Yes, I would also get a few white pads. I would use them with the WG finishing glaze.
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Mike Phillips

The Wolfgang TSR 3.0 with the orange cutting pad on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting should do the trick no problem. Best thing to do would be a Test Spot when you first start out, that is test the TSR with the Orange cutting pad to one section and then inspect your results.

It helps to place a single strip of painter's tape on a horizontal surface and then just work on one side of the tape. Then you can look at the before and after results and quickly and easily see if this combination of products is getting the job done.

The sides look like they have horrible rotary buffer inflicted swirls; does the hood look the same way?

If so, and if you haven't already started working on it,then position the hood with the sun on it when the sun is directly overhead and capture some good before shots.

If you what to show the world what you can do with you new toys, then tape off half the hood and only buff out one half and the remove the tape and re-position the hood in the sun and take a few before & after shots.

Next buff out the other half of the hood, (and the rest of the car), and then take the final beauty shot.

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys!

Whats a good white pad I should get?

I will take plenty before, during and after pictures. Yes, there is horrible rotary buffer inflicted swirls all over the car. When you tape off half the hood for a before and after shot, does a line show up after you do the rest of the hood? Or does it just blend in when you complete the other half? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Go with TSR and Orange Pads and then follow up with Finishing Glaze and White Pads. You should probably have two of each pad on hand because the pads get clogged up after doing a panel or two. You also need a good pad cleaner, Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner is awesome stuff.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more pics I have. Yuk!

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the help guys!

Whats a good white pad I should get?

I will take plenty before, during and after pictures. Yes, there is horrible rotary buffer inflicted swirls all over the car. When you tape off half the hood for a before and after shot, does a line show up after you do the rest of the hood? Or does it just blend in when you complete the other half? Thanks!
    Being a newer car it should just blend in, you're going to want to buff both sides equally for a uniform, swirl-free finish.

For the purpose of just showing before and after you don't have to use tape and you don't have to buff a lot on the tape-line. Work inside your comfort level for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

So is this the steps I should use...

TSR = Orange pad
    Finishing Glaze = White pad
    Paint sealant = Grey pad

I was also planning on using a clay bar. Is it necessary to use if before doing this 3 step finish? Thanks!

Mike Phillips

So is this the steps I should use...

TSR = Orange pad
    Finishing Glaze = White pad
    Paint sealant = Grey pad

I was also planning on using a clay bar. Is it necessary to use if before doing this 3 step finish? Thanks!
    Yes, those steps should restore a swirl-free finish as long as the swirls are not too deep. You should be able to prove the above system by buffing out just a small section and then inspecting your results.

As for claying, feel the paint after washing and drying or wiping clean, if it feel like it has a texture or little bumps then clay before buffing. Claying is the most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants.

Machine cleaning with a SMR like TSR 3.0 will remove some above surface bonded contaminants but claying is the most effective way to remove all the aboves surface bonded contaminants.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast