autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

question about car polishers?

I am new to the forum. When first using a automatic polisher can you messed up the paint and do more harm than good? do you have to practice with these things and learn how to use them??? it might sound dumb, but I was just wondering if they are easy to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: question about car polishers?

Any power tool in the wrong hands or used improperly can harm someone. A Random Orbital Buffer does offer some safety over traditional circular buffers. RO's dont create alot of heat and will need alot of patience. That said with the right pads and polishes you can really make a huge and noticable difference over standard paint and never harm your finish. Follow sound advice, watch videos, and practice and you will do fine. Even hobbist or weekend detailers dont need a degree to get alot out of a random orbital buffer. (PC, Cyclo, G100, Griots , Flex 3401)

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Any power tool in the wrong hands or used improperly can harm someone. A Random Orbital Buffer does offer some safety over traditional circular buffers. RO's dont create alot of heat and will need alot of patience. That said with the right pads and polishes you can really make a huge and noticable difference over standard paint and never harm your finish. Follow sound advice, watch videos, and practice and you will do fine. Even hobbist or weekend detailers dont need a degree to get alot out of a random orbital buffer. (PC, Cyclo, G100, Griots , Flex 3401)
    Couldn't put it better myself! if you do believe the damage done by a regular orbital check out some videos on youtube. It is not pretty I took a lot of time before buying a Porter Cable myself

Post Thanks / Like

My first polisher was the Porter Cable 7424 and I am very pleased with how easy it was to learn on. If you had to pick a starter polisher that is the one I would say.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the type of buffer.

A rotary buffer has a higher learning curve to it and takes more practice to get good with. It's generally more powerful and has higher speeds than a DA (Dual Action) buffer and it's much easier to damage or harm the paint if you don't know what you are doing or get careless with it.

A DA buffer is much easier to use, has a much shorter learning curve and is generally considered "almost" idiot proof. To really inflict damage to the paint you practically have to actually work at it hard. Units like the PC (Porter Cable) or Meguiar's G110 have a clutch built in that will stop the spinning of the pad if you apply too much pressure. In addition, the fact that DA has TWO separate rotation forces going at once helps so that not too much concentration and heat is applied at any given area and that inherently helps to not harm the paint.

A rotary buffer can buff out a vehicle faster than a DA buffer and can remove much more severe defects than DA can - although with the right pad, an aggressive compound like M105, and a good technique a DA can remove some pretty serious defects
    The DA may take a bit longer but for someone new to buffing is a MUCH safer choice of equipment to start learning.

The new upgraded PC7424XP, or Megs G110 are both very good units to learn on and will do an excellent job.
    The Flex 3401 is a bit more powerful than the PC or Megs units and tends to get classified as "in between" the PC or Megs units and a rotary.
    I have the Flex 3401 and find it to be an excellent unit. Easy to learn, easy to use, and produces outstanding results if used correctly although the PC is probably the most common and widely used as a "starter buffer" to learn on. Just because I just referred to the PC as a "starter buffer" does NOT in any way discount the fact that it is an excellent tool and can achieve excellent results once you learn how to use it properly - it's simply that it's also very reasonably priced (compared to more expensive units like the Flex 3401) and place like AG offer very nice packages to go with it so it's easy to buy with a package of your choice with the pads, polishes, etc to get you started.

most people will probably tell you that to start learning the use of a buffer to go with a DA unit first to learn the basics than if you have the desire or need to go up to a rotary THAN step up. You will need to learn the use of a rotary that is somewhat different than a DA but you will have already learned the basics of buffing in general.

BTW, many people use both. Even after stepping up to a rotary a lot of people keep using their DA buffers also. They will use the rotary for the "heavy" work such as the rough compounding with product such as M105, than turn to the DA units for final polishing.

Buffing a car with power buffer is a skill to be learned like an other skill but usually within a short time of practice a DA can be operated to achieve good result and is pretty safe without too much worry of damaging your paint (if you use just the minimum of common sense).

Mike Phillips

What are you working on?
    What is the goal? Show car finish? Just get the paint cleaned up and looking better?

DA Polishers are easy to learn how to use and there's lots of information on this forum plus some videos to get you started. You can also find a junker car to practice on.

It's never a good idea to learn how to machine polish on a black Viper.

Post Thanks / Like

just wanted to get better and quicker results without using all the arm power. general detailing. thank you for the replies.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
    just wanted to get better and quicker results without using all the arm power. general detailing. thank you for the replies.
    Definitely look at a DA Polisher, the Meguiar's G110 is good, the new PC XP and the Griot's ROP offer more power, all of them can get the job done.

Don't know what you want to spend but I'm going to post a write-up next week on the Flex 3401 and draw some comparisons between it and the PC style polishers.

Have good candidate hot rod to give it a full work-out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for Mikes's review, it should be a good one, lots to compare.
    Got mine late yesterday. I woke up at 4am and couldn't sleep. Guess why. Out to the gagage to try it out. After using my udm now for a couple of years, all I will say is WOW!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking about his comparison of the flex 3401 to other pcs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast