autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

ONR: pre-soak just to be safe(er)?

I've read the claims and documentation on ONR, and I've watched the video on Optimum's site.
    I read the dedicated thread here on AG.

What I'm wondering is if it would be a safer play to spray a bit on (possibly the car's entire surface in it's entirety first) before gliding the ONR-soaked wash mitt section-by-section (followed by the drying of the associated section-by-section step of course) over the car's surface.

I know that this introduction of an extra step would end up being costlier due to more product being used and take a bit more time, but I'm only talking about using a spray bottle to apply the proposed pre-mist with.
    I think I'd feel safer this way but I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this.
    James

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR: pre-soak just to be safe(er)?

That is a technique that has already been discussed at length. See: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ve-thread.html

Post Thanks / Like

OK, now I'm embarassed.
    I'm new to this community but not to forum boards or needless re-posts.
    Can't believe my question was answered right near the top of the thread that I already read

Now how do I delete this waste of digital space? Sorry for the careless redundancy.
    Last edited by MisterShark; 08-20-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    James

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about asking questions, that's part of what the forum is for.
    Dong a search is great if you want to read through 100 to 500 posts and possibly still not get an answer. For this question, the answer shows up pretty quickly and easily, but that is not always the case.

As to your question about pre-soaking. I have been using rinseless washes for about two years to the point where I seldom do a conventional wash.
    I have never pre-soaked a vehicle.
    If the vehicle has caked mud/salt, I do spray it off at the DIY wash in the freezing winter conditions or spray it off with a hose during the summer.
    Before someone asks, "Why not do a conventional wash since the hose is out?" Because I can drive in my garage for the actual wash and be warm in the winter and out of the sun in the warm/hot weather.
    Being able to wash anytime I choose in the garage is one big benefit of rinseless and waterless washes to me.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShark View Post
    OK, now I'm embarassed.
    I'm new to this community but not to forum boards or needless re-posts.
    Can't believe my question was answered right near the top of the thread that I already read

Now how do I delete this waste of digital space? Sorry for the careless redundancy.
    Don't sweat it, I was just pointing you in the right direction. Welcome to the forum.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

The wash mitt that you use also plays a large part in the safety of an ONR wash. A lot of us like to use grout sponges, my preference being the Lake Country Grout Sponge. They are good at picking up and holding the dirt so that you are not re-introducing any contamination into the paint. Using a grit guard in the ONR bucket is also extremely helpful....a lot of people additionally like to use the 2-bucket method for ONR washes; one bucket of the ONR/water solution, and a second bucket as the rinse bucket.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    As to your question about pre-soaking. I have been using rinseless washes for about two years to the point where I seldom do a conventional wash.
    I have never pre-soaked a vehicle.
    If the vehicle has caked mud/salt, I do spray it off at the DIY wash in the freezing winter conditions or spray it off with a hose during the summer.
    Before someone asks, "Why not do a conventional wash since the hose is out?" Because I can drive in my garage for the actual wash and be warm in the winter and out of the sun in the warm/hot weather.
    Being able to wash anytime I choose in the garage is one big benefit of rinseless and waterless washes to me.
    I'd like to know that as long as I've followed directions flawlessly and am using a recommended wash mitt, that I can do the ONR just as the instructional videos/instructions illustrate: without a pre-soak and without needing a 2nd bucket.
    I like that part about seldom doing a conventional wash anymore. With 2 little kids, college, and always some kind of DIY project afoot, my time (even on the weekends) is generally in short supply, so anything that saves time but is still safe is looking good.
    Another important plus is the option of washing in the sun. My driveway is only in shade at the earliest morning hours, and I'm not a big fan of waking up early on weekends if I don't have to.
    Portability also seems to be an option. There's a corporate parking deck that I was thinking of doing the wash in. 2 or 3 gallons of inexpensive distilled water, my bucket & Gritt Guard, MFs and I'm all set to 'take it on the road'.

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    The wash mitt that you use also plays a large part in the safety of an ONR wash. A lot of us like to use grout sponges, my preference being the Lake Country Grout Sponge. They are good at picking up and holding the dirt so that you are not re-introducing any contamination into the paint. Using a grit guard in the ONR bucket is also extremely helpful....a lot of people additionally like to use the 2-bucket method for ONR washes; one bucket of the ONR/water solution, and a second bucket as the rinse bucket.
    I have and plan to use my Vroom microfiber mitt (the orange one with the dreadlocks). I'm also going to pick up a Gritt Guard from the local guy that I plan to purchase the ONR from.
    My choice in wash mitt is OK, right?
    James

Post Thanks / Like

It should work fine, but it's really important to use a grit guard.
    08 Subaru WRX