autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tuff Stuff plus Acura Leather =???

Alright guys I have what is probably a bad question. I searched but found no answrs.

Here is the deal though. I have been using a couple of leather headrests I have acquired from salvage yards for tests on installing some headrest screens. They are for my 2004 Acura RL. I sourced them from slightly older models (1998-2002)

As you can imagine they have been rather dirty. I have used Lexol, Wolfgang, and tuff stuff(not at same time) to see which product cleaned the best. The Tuff Stuff was the easist to use and took off the most dirt with little effort. I also used the "Absorber" drying towel to pick up the tuff stuff off the leather headrests.

So my question is how bad would it be to use tuff stuff along with 2 absorber towels in their own buckets as a one time cleaner to lift dirt out of leather seats?

I haven't really cared abouth the headrests since they got cut up for test fitting, but I have a dirty passenger seat that I was thinking about doing this too.

I would follow with a conditioner regularly. The previous owner was not much into leather care.

With that said......let me have it! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuff Stuff plus Acura Leather =???

Well I wouldn't really use Tuff Stuff for leather since it's a fabric and upholstery cleaner. The closest thing it CAN clean is vinyl seats.

If you want good leather cleaning, I have found Meguiar's APC+ at 10:1 to do a nice job. If you need even more cleaning power than that (which I would find hard to believe), you can lightly spray APC+ at 4:1 and wipe it down, and then follow up with APC+ at 10:1 to remove any streaks caused by 4:1, since 4:1 is supposed to be rinsed with water afterwards.
    08 Subaru WRX

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When you say "The closest thing it CAN clean is vinyl" is it because its just way to harsh for leather?

That APC+, would you say it does a better deep cleaning on leather than the Wolfgang lether cleaner (what I have)

Thanks for your help. I just want to have this seat perfectly clean to see if regular conditioning will bring some softness back.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Tuff Stuff isn't meant for leather. Leather is meant for more durable surfaces such as fabric, carpet, and vinyl upholstery.

I've never used Wolfgang Leather Cleaner so I cannot comment on that product. I know that Lexol Leather Cleaner in the spray bottle isn't a very aggressive cleaner.

Have you tried Lexol Leather Cleaner working with a bucket of water? You soak the applicator pad in a bucket of water and spray the Lexol directly onto the wet applicator pad and then work it into the leather. Finally, take a dry microfiber towel and wipe off the water/cleaner solution from the leather seat. That should give you a pretty deep clean.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried woolite? Diluted of course.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried woolite and Lexol just doesn't seem to do much like previously posted.

I have tried the wolfgang leather cleaner and mequiars and while both clean a little better than the Lexol neither really cleans everything.

I'll try posting some pictures of the seats themselves to see what you guys would recommend.

Thanks forall the help so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Connollys Leather Cleaner , and you can strengthen or dilute it as desired as self mixing.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Tuff Stuff plus Acura Leather =???

Does that work well on the black Corvette leather??? Have you used it on the Saturn leather yet?

See ya

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I use Connollys Leather Cleaner , and you can strengthen or dilute it as desired as self mixing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Einszett Leather Care monthly on Vette and annually clean with Leatherique since car was mine since new. I did use the Connollys Cleaner on Saturn past weekend to clean and then also coated with Einszett Leather Care for protection.