autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on drying

I have a quick question. I know that after washing many people here like to spray a QD on a wet car and wipe off with a WW.

Here is my question.
    Would it be okay to do the same with a chamois instead of a WW, or would that create streaks?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Phillips

Re: Question on drying

Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post

Would it be okay to do the same with a chamois instead of a WW, or would that create streaks?
    Depends on the material the chamois is made out of; if you mean a traditional leather chamois then it will likely leave streaks.

The idea behind spritzing on a QD after washing and then doing a final wipe is to create a uniform, shiny finish but this is done after the majority of water is removed and by using a wiping cloth that can remove the remaining water and quick detailer without leaving any residue behind and for this the cloth must be dry. A leather chamois is used when it's wet and and while it's good for removing the majority of the water it's not going to work very well for what you're trying to accomplish.

It would be better to dry the car off and then hit it with your choice of quick detailer and then use a high quality microfiber polishing cloth to spread out the QD and then remove it carefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would anyone use a chamois when a ww will do a better and safer job.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Why would anyone use a chamois when a ww will do a better and safer job.
    The OP never stated specifically what type of chamois he was referring to? Chamois is kind of a general term for something used to remove water off a car's finish, traditionally it has been used to describe a leather chamois. Go back 15 to 20 years and that's what the word meant. Then artificial chamois were introduced like the Absorber also called the Fireman's Friend back in the mid-1980's.

When it comes to drying cloths it's pretty much personal preference as to what's best for each person just like most car care products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The OP never stated specifically what type of chamois he was referring to? Chamois is kind of a general term for something used to remove water off a car's finish, traditionally it has been used to describe a leather chamois. Go back 15 to 20 years and that's what the word meant. Then artificial chamois were introduced like the Absorber also called the Fireman's Friend back in the mid-1980's.

When it comes to drying cloths it's pretty much personal preference as to what's best for each person just like most car care products.

I actually use the Absorber. It does a fine job drying the car, but I was just curious about the QD, as I see many people on the forums talk about spraying it on as they wipe dry.

Mike, does your original reply still apply to the Absorber? I would thing so, but wanted to make sure.

Mike Phillips

I actually use the Absorber. It does a fine job drying the car, but I was just curious about the QD, as I see many people on the forums talk about spraying it on as they wipe dry.

Mike, does your original reply still apply to the Absorber? I would thing so, but wanted to make sure.
    I was a Rep for the Absorber back in 2000 and 2001, worked for Bill Stuart himself the owner of the Absorber company. Have pictures of myself demonstrating the Absorber at World of Wheels shows with Scrape.

This is Scrape, also got to buff it out multiple times as it saw a lot of abuse in the show circuit.

The absorber, like a leather chamois is used wet so I don't think it will work for the same reasons a leather chamois won't work. You could try it but again, best results for removing a QD to leave a nice looking, streak-free finish is to do your final wiping with something that's soft and dry like a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth, just like you would do if the car were dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a quick question. I know that after washing many people here like to spray a QD on a wet car and wipe off with a WW.

Here is my question.

Thanks in advance!
    Out of curiosity, have you ever used a WW drying towel? I recently started using them. Now I can't believe that I didn't jump on the WW wagon sooner.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my question.

Thanks in advance!
    I've never heard of that.
    I have a Black vehicle and i only use a Toro blower to dry it.
    To wipe it down with a detailer i use as cobra arctic white MF, which they are still out of stock on it and not on the BOGO.
    And it works great for me.

Claude

Post Thanks / Like

The WW MF will be on my next order. I just have to work with what I have for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I'll stick to what I said Mike. I've used chamois (leather) for years before MF. I would never go back to a chamois over a WWMF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast