autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet sanding orange peel

Okay I have a question. Why is it that wet sanding is the only way to remove orange peel?? What is it about the wet sanding process that it can remove the peel whereas polishing doesn't?? They're both removing layers of clear coat so what makes wet sanding so special???

Post Thanks / Like
    wet sanding removes paint far faster than most polishing , but I have seen orange peel reduced with a rotary also. Essentially orange peel is the overuse of paint or clearcoat, so any abrasive should wear it down at least slightly.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaNative
    Okay I have a question. Why is it that wet sanding is the only way to remove orange peel?? What is it about the wet sanding process that it can remove the peel whereas polishing doesn't?? They're both removing layers of clear coat so what makes wet sanding so special???

Wet sanding with 1500 - 2000 wet dry paper should only be done by a pro, and as killr states will make removing orange peel allot faster than any machine.......the trick is knowing when to let up......and go to the next step....finishing polish.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL
    Wet sanding with 1500 - 2000 wet dry paper should only be done by a pro, and as killr states will make removing orange peel allot faster than any machine.......the trick is knowing when to let up......and go to the next step....finishing polish.....
    Bill, your right, I screw up some clear coat before with 2000.

Post Thanks / Like
    just take your time and soak the paper and wet block well and your set, to an extent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wet sanding is tedious work and the above is right theres a fine line knowing when to stop another problem some run into is not being able to remove the wet sanding marks after sanding. If the peel is in the paint thats because the paint wasn't sanded between coats,if it in the clear take it to a pro let him
    sand the clear for a coouple hundred under a reshoot the hood JMHO..

Post Thanks / Like
    I won't be wet sanding my car, I was just asking the question because I was curious as to how it works and why it removes orange peel that's all. It was a strictly "out of curiosity" type question. Thanks for your replies guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a New 2006 Hyundai Azera and it has a fair amount of Orange Peel. I took it to a friend of mine who owns a body shop and does a lot of high end cars. I showed him the orange peel and asked if he could wet sand it and then buff it out. He discouraged me from doing so. He told me that it would really weaken the finish of the paint and protection. The only real way to get rid of it is to wet sand and even out all the clear and then clear the whole car again to keep the thickness of the clear on the car. He also stated that it was sad that Most Cars Today are coming through with a lot of orange peel. I have been checking a lot of the newer cars and trucks and he is correct. It sad that we don't have the good smooth paint of the early cars. I guess it's called progress. JoeD

Post Thanks / Like
    i think its the painting process at the factory...is it done by man or machine nowadays? the last black bmw i did, an 06 325i... it had some terrible orange peel. and polishing out the scratched and making it look good with souveran just hightened the orange peel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank VOC regs, said it before, but the older Vipers had what was known as the best paint job from the factory, wet sanded and everything. Newer ones now have some noticeable orange peel but nowhere near what most vehicles have today. Almost doesn't matter whether you drive a Hyundai or Bentley. I was behind a Rolls Phantom that had one of the worst cases of orange peel I've ever seen. I'd be pissed as hell after spending that amount of money only to have the paint look like it did.
    The real WyStang:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast