autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration - I NEED HELP!!

I'm a bit of a newbie to the auto detailing world, but I've been trying to perfect all aspects since I am going to take up a side job of mobile detailing. That being said, my first adventure into the headlight restoration realm has been a discouraging one. After watching a Headlight Restoration video on another car care site I was convinced that the 4 step process: Wetsand w/ 1000 grit and 3000 grit sandpaper, apply cleaner (Meguiars Plastic Cleaner), and finish up with a polish (Meguiars Plastic Polish) would be a success. I even came back with a Meguiars wax I had in the garage since I wanted to try everything before I quite. I only got about half way there (in terms of quality) before I threw in the towel. I've attached the before and after shots of the headlights and am hoping someone can help (they weren't more yellow after, unfortunately I just had to change the light source). As you can see, the tops of each lens turned out pretty good, but there was an extra oxidized/weathered portion near the bottom of the lens that was very stubborn. I can't charge anybody for a job of this low quality, so let the comments/advice fly! Thanks!
    BEFORE>>

AFTER>>

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration - I NEED HELP!!

I used the Mothers Power Ball with the same products you did and it came out pretty nice. I used an electric drill with the Power Ball. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a headlamp restoration on a mid Nineties Dodge Stratus ( what is with Chrysler headlamps? The all do that). I was able to get the driver's side headlamp at about 90% improvement. The passenger side about 75% (it still has a light oxidation line near the bottom. Turns out that it was on the inside of the lamp). On yours, I would recommend Meguiars 105 or UC after wetsand but before Meg. plastic cleaner.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It almost looks like you might need to sand it a little more.A coworker of mine asked to have the lights on his 350z done and after using 1000 grit i could see somthing similar to what you have in the after shot. After several passes with the 1000 grit, in alternating directions, it finally disapeared. i followed up with 2000 then 3000 and a buff with meguiars diamond cut and wool then poorboys ssr 2 and a white pad. and yes i know what i describe is alot of work but im ocd when it comes to clarity on headlights. Im just a hobbyist when it comes to detailing so hopefully someone else with more experiance with lights could chime in.

EDIT: forgot to mention i used a rotary with a 4 inch wool pad and a white 4 inch spot buff.
    Last edited by MazdaTech; 07-16-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments...keep em coming! I failed to mention that I applied both the cleaner and polish with a Porter Cable 7424 which I would have to believe would yield the same or better results than the Mother's Powerball. I used 1000 grit sandpaper and spent what seemed an eternity on this lens without getting better results. You think this is on the inside? I considered that but I could feel a change in texture on the outside when I ran my finger over the extra-oxidized part. I have to say these were probably some of the worse headlight lenses I've ever seen, so I don't know if they were too far gone to bring em back.