autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Would leaves & branches that fall off the tree create swirls/scratches to the paint?

I park under a tree at work and leaves/small branches fall off and land on my car. I was wondering if those would scratches my car or create swirl marks? Branches are about 2 inches length.
    Last edited by buffguy; 06-24-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would leaves & branches that fall off the tree create swirls/scratches to the pai

They could absolutely create scratches in the paint. Maybe not the leaves unless they are blown about the surface of the car, but definitely the branches.
    -Jeff-
    Co-Founder of The Mustangs Of Burlington
    2001 DHG Bullitt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would leaves & branches that fall off the tree create swirls/scratches to the pai

Quote Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
    They could absolutely create scratches in the paint. Maybe not the leaves unless they are blown about the surface of the car, but definitely the branches.
    The branches aren't big, they are small pieces about 2 inches length. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buffguy View Post
    The branches aren't big, they are small pieces about 2 inches length. What do you guys think?
    Even if it is only 2 inches in length, it is falling from a distance and contacting the surface of your car. IMO, that in itself shows the obvious potential for paint damage.
    -Jeff-
    Co-Founder of The Mustangs Of Burlington
    2001 DHG Bullitt

Post Thanks / Like

Yes both branches and leaves with scratch the finish.
    When branches fall they contact the finish and then bounce around. The initial contact is a scratch and so can the bounce arounds as the branch settles.

I have trees and tons of leaves at my place and have observed first hand what happens. I have acorns that when these little bombs of joy fall will bounce up to 10 feet off the finish and they sometimes leave tiny indents along with the tiny scratchs where they made first contact with my car.

al

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibstoney1 View Post
    Yes both branches and leaves with scratch the finish.
    When branches fall they contact the finish and then bounce around. The initial contact is a scratch and so can the bounce arounds as the branch settles.

I have trees and tons of leaves at my place and have observed first hand what happens. I have acorns that when these little bombs of joy fall will bounce up to 10 feet off the finish and they sometimes leave tiny indents along with the tiny scratchs where they made first contact with my car.

al
    Thanks guys, I better park my car elsewhere at work. Also the tree is about 5 feet above the car, would that be any different? I would miss parking under the tree for shade.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I better park my car elsewhere at work. Also the tree is about 5 feet above the car, would that be any different? I would miss parking under the tree for shade.
    Birds like trees, too. A branch can scratch the paint, regardless of the distance, although the higher the worse it will likely be. If you want shade, consider a car cover, and bring a car duster and or some microfiber towels and a QD to wipe the car down before putting on the cover. Get a cable and lock for the cover, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

We forgot one other thing that falls from trees - sticky sap.
    al

Post Thanks / Like

I inspected the car after washing it and there is a lot of scratches and swirls created by the leave/branches. I'm so pissed off right now. Two weeks earlier and the paint was flawless with no scratch/swirls. Now there is a bunch.
    Last edited by buffguy; 06-24-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Also the tree is about 5 feet above the car, would that be any different? I would miss parking under the tree for shade.
    Physics....acceleration due to gravity = 9.81ms^2

The further the distance to fall, the longer it has to accelerate meaning it has more energy that it has to dissipate when hitting the paint (meaning worse swirls).

I still remember the day I parked under a tree at the beach to save the black dash of the car (being a very hot, clear summer day) and came back with the car covered in sap...Not gonna make that mistake again (got a windshield shade for those kind of situations now )