autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I spec a trailer?

I did a search, and while there are a lot of posts on the subject, I can't find the info I am looking for.
    I am currently in a fixed location (my house) and lately I have been getting about 50% of my calls asking for mobile services, so I decided to expand. I have been looking for used trailers for the past 30 days- Craigslist, Ebay, the paper, etc. all to no avail, so today I started looking for new trailers. Must haves at this point are barn doors in the rear and a side door, other than that, I'm lost.

Here is my problem/question: How do I spec out a trailer? What do I NEED, should have, don't need, etc?

I am going to run a 90 gal tank that is 3HX3DX4W, 3.5K Gen set, pressure washer, compressor, etc. I went to 3 dealers in 2 states in the area and have looked at WAY too many companies: Pace American, Diamond, Wells Cargo, et al.... and have been told WAY too much information. 2 wanted to upgrade to 16" centers on the floor, while 1 wanted to go 12". Can't I just mount another 3/4" sheet of plywood on the standard 24" centers? All 3 want to upgrade to pressure treated floors and I want to lay vinyl, 5X8's cost as much as a 6X10, one piece bowed roof compared to standard flat. Brakes; no brakes.... I will also be running no more than 40 miles one way so is a "V" nose a waste?

What do I tell the dealer I want/need?

BTW, my tow vehicle is a 96 Roadmaster wagon with 5000lb towing capabilities.

Sorry for the long post, but I am at a COMPLETE loss.

I guess if I had to shorten this, the question would be: If you had a trailer made for you, how would you spec it out? And why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I spec a trailer?

I think i might be of some help. I was actually in the same boat you are in.

2 years ago i needed a trailer. I didnt want to spend the money on an enclosed, so i got a "landsacping" one. Open, ramp on the back, 2ft high walls, mesh sides(nothing will fly out), no brakes, but nice trailer. It was a 5x10. Worked great, i had a 125 gallon water tank on it, vaccum, generator, pressure washer, extractor, bince, buckets, the full deal. I used EVERY inch of that space!( i have A LOT) of tools and stuff.

Well that all worked great for the time being. BUT once i started to spend the bills on getting nicer tools and chemicals and stuff i didnt want to take the chance of getting the stuff stolen, or whatever. PLUS i think an enclosed trailer looks a lot better. So i recently, a week ago sold my open trailer and went on the market for an enclosed. I am a very motivated guy. I found a good deal on a trailer locally by searching on craigslist.org. Went and checked it out. It is a 6x12 v nose, enclosed, black trailer. The paint was in terrible condition, and the inside needed some work. I was looking to spend no more than 2500. I found this listed for 2300, bought it for 2000. Saved 500 dollars. Then i actually currently am in the process of doing all the renovation.

Redid the trim inside, patched some holes, sanded the wood flooring and what not, tore out old cauking, put new caulking in, did some painting, etc. I also polished up the outside with a rotary. Got it to shine again. Still need to polish up all the diamond plating and aluminum. I have probably about 30 man hours into. Yeah its a bit of a project, but it will look soo good. It will look brand new when i am done! I am going to mount a battery, and cover in the front so my ligts, water pump, and most importantly, my music can run without my generator on. I hate running generators!

I was going to do the same thing you are talking about with the vinyl floor. But i decided to take a different route. I decided to do epoxy. But first i sanded it all down, layed 3 coats of primer, then 2 coats of epoxy, yes i added the sprinkle things! Looks AWESOME. Then i am about to put on a few coats of clear to keep it water proof. Only bad thing is that it takes a long time to do this project. The expoxy has to seal for "they" say a week before you put any real pressure or anything on it. So in the mean time, its back to how it all started with the hose in the back of the truck!

Also bought some hangers, storage, tools, etc to store everything. It is a project, but i love it. I will attach some after pictures. I dont have many before....wish i did though.

I hope all this info helps you out. So to answer your questions I, and i am stating my opinion think that 6x12 is perfect size. I have plenty of room, and a side door. My trailer has the ramp in the back, and not the barn doors. At first i wanted to barn doors, but i just couldnt pass up the deal for this trailer. 2000, for it was good. But i am sure the ramp will come in handy when i need to take things in and out...plus i ride motorcycles, so it could come in handy some time.

I would deffinately get something that has a side door, make sure you have enough space. I wouldnt get much smaller than a 5x10 personally, but you can make it work with smaller. I wanted my trailer so i can have all my stuff in it and still walk through it.

I am planning on getting some speakers mounted up in it and getting it all set up for detailing!

Let me know if you have any questions! I would love to help. I will attach some pics so you can get an idea of what i am talking about.

-Cory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I spec a trailer?-dsc03489-jpg   How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04014-jpg   How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04016-jpg   How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04018-jpg   How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04020-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so talking about it makes me really excited. I though i would show you guys some during pictures! I just went out a minute ago and took these.

Hope you enjoy!

Pics of my new trailer, with all the renovations, then my garage with all my junk in it! I have WAAAAYYYYY to much stuff! Garage sell? jk

Dont worry, the wheel well is only half polished! It will look sweet!

Also, the little Makita blower! This thing rocks! Suggest this to everyone. It is really light weight and portable, great for getting the water out of the cracks, rims etc. Only down side is that little battery. I am going to get a bigger one and throw it on it. That small batter will only do maybe 1 and a half cars! But it is a really handy tool.....for a little guy!

-Cory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04023-jpg   How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04026-jpg   How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04027-jpg   How do I spec a trailer?-dsc04028-jpg  
    Last edited by renegademobiledetailing; 05-14-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

On another detailing forum, someone mentioned ONR and a 25 gal tank and run i out of my car. Add a 1.5K or a 2K generator and pump, and I'm good to go. Opinions?

I can fit a 4X8 sheet of plywood in the back of my wagon So it kinda like a 5X8 trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Check out covenant cargo. We got ours in Douglas, GA. Go to our web site and go to links and covenant cargo is on there. Our trailer is very nice and chose everything we wanted on it, it has also held up very nicely!!!

csrracing.net