autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurricane Prep. and Product Review

I meant to post this last a few days ago, but couldn't get around to it. Anyway, I was able to get all the moisture out of my carpets, left a window cracked during t-storm, and thankfully nothing was ruined, and I finally got to detail my car. Due to the most recent hurricane threat I decided to get put some protection on my paint, although it may not do much its better than nothing and I learned my lesson from katrina. So I washed and got towork with the protecting. Here is the products I used and a little review of my thoughts. Sorry no pics.

Washed: Mgs. NXT, still my favorite wash, very thick, produces a lot of suds, and works well in a foam gun, I've tried other, but I always seem to go back to nxt and its cheap compared to others.

After reading justins thread on armorals new line of protectants and dressing, I figured I'd give it a try and this is what I think,

Dash protectant: Somewhat skeptical at first, but this stuff is pretty good, goes on easy and evenly, cleans well, and does brighten up surfaces, I really liked the way it made the painted surfaces in my car shine, no greasy residue, and the fact its a thick gel seems to help pick up dust better than most average liquids. The only fault I found was its cleaning ability, it does well, but for dirty surfaces I'll stick with Megs 40. Still its worth buying.

Leather protectant: basically the same as the dash protectant, worth buying.

Tire gel: I have to say this is the first tire gel that I've used that actually last. Easy to apply and the groove in the applicator makes for a even, no mess spread. I put two coats on each tire and after a few minutes the shine increased. It dries quickly and depending on the tire design has little or no spin off. This stuff is strong, when I wahsed the tire, I sprayed it with simple green, let it sit for a minute and scrubed, I was amazed when I rinsed it off, it still looked as good as when I first put it on. I even wiped it down with a mf and I swear it didn't smudge and there was hardly any black on the rag. I still think megs endurance has a a little better shine, but this stuff last longer. Worth buying, and it does the same on trim and molding.

For the paint I wanted as much protection as possible, so I broke out the klasse sg, I forgot how good this stuff looks with just one coat and as most of you know its pretty bulletproof. I used heavy coats to enusre complete covearge, took a little longer to remove, but with a little qd it came out perfect. On top of that I put a coat of dps new sealant, you might wonder why I put to different sealants on, as I said before I was goin for protection and dps new sealant is pretty hard to beat. I goes on extremly easy and comes off with out effort and it last and leaves an incredible shine. Dp really knows what up, I have to say this stuff could give wg sealant a run for its money in both shine and protection. Both seemed to hide some minor swirls too.

For the windows I tried rainx window wax, its a little thicker than the spray, and repels water like all rainx products do, but be very careful on how much you use and how long you let it sit, I put a little to much and let it sit to long and wound up having to use a spot buff pad and da to get off some spots that a mf and stoners IG couldn't even remove, I mean I couldn't even remove it with my fingernail, which leads me to beleive this stuff will last.

For my wheels I used dps wheel glaze, since I don't have new rims yet I used it on my hubcaps, even on those ugly thing the glaze worked miracles, I put to coats. I've never seen a hubcap look that good, and it does seem to cut brake dust collection in half and makes cleaning a breeze and lasts.

Luckly the hurricane didn't come this way, but with maintence I'll be ready for the next one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review, just in the past I had a problem with AA. Dash and seats started cracking. But this was years ago. By now they should have work out all the problems with their products or they would not be in business today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Armor All has come a long way since the use of cheap silicones in the 80's. But back then who knew ... gloss and bling was king !!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like their tire gel, easy to apply and nice deep black look that dries fast. Plus it doesn't stain white letter, Megs Endurance High Gloss was messy and turned my white lettering on my a/t's purplish when I tried it. Took awhile to clean them back to white.
    The real WyStang: