autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning inner wheel barrels

Posted here, there & everywhere....

What we have here are OEM coated, cast aluminum wheels from a 2004 GMC Sierra. They've seen 60k+ and 5 Ohio winters without ever getting a really thorough cleaning inside and out.

The outer wheels are in pretty decent shape with just a few defects in the coating where wheel weights have been attached. They clean up well and take a shine, they're rarely left very cruddy for long periods. The inner barrels are a different story though.

Believe me, the pics are AFTER cleaning attempts! They were pitch black before!

My primary goal is to clean these up as well as possible and apply sealant and do 'em once a year every Spring. The visible portions through the holes in the front detract a bit from the overall appearance.

In attempting to clean the inner barrel I first tried a generous dose of P21S Gel and let it dwell for an hour. I then scrubbed the surface crud with a wheel brush getting close to the results shown. Thinking I needed something considerably stouter I applied Purple Power APC full strength and let it dwell taking care that I didn't get any of this nasty stuff on the front of the wheels. Not much improvement.

I then attempted a few other things in spots..... of everything I tried a Brillo pad produced the most favorable result with a TON of scrubbing. I also gave a PowerBall a whirl with Wenol red, Meg's Mag & Aluminum Polish and other lesser products with the best results appearing near the openings where exterior cleaning may have kept them from getting as bad as the rest of the barrel. At this rate using the products and methods I've attempted thus far I might get some decent results if I kept at it for a week or so........ per wheel, probably! There's gotta be a better way....

I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions that might lead to some improvement. I don't expect perfection after 5 years of neglect but I'd like to improve the appearance, at least what's visible from the outside of the wheel.

Thanks in advance...... TL

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning inner wheel barrels

You try some of your Meg's Mag polish with some #0000 steel wool, or something a little more aggressive if the #0000 isn't enough.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use steel wool since they are clear coated and/or painted. You need to find a very strong solvent to loosen the debris up. It might just be baked in there also.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done the same to my wheels in the past on a used Grand Voyager I have. They weren't cared for and were a mess(back side). Mine aren't painted or cleared, raw aluminum (again the back side), steel wool, paint thinner to remove old tar. I came close to getting the sand blaster out. I did get them cleaned up ok. What did I use? Any and everything I had. Didn't hurt anything. In my case, anything would look better than they did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I would not use steel wool since they are clear coated and/or painted. You need to find a very strong solvent to loosen the debris up. It might just be baked in there also.
    Judging by the spot tests only the front is coated. Which is probably why the remaining crud is hunkered down so well.

Thanks... TL

Post Thanks / Like

those look like pitting and due to the materials in brake pads sitting on wheels and baking into finish while hot. I doubt you can remove, but using a sealant like Poorboys or Klasse AIO may help from getting worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I've done the same to my wheels in the past on a used Grand Voyager I have. They weren't cared for and were a mess(back side). Mine aren't painted or cleared, raw aluminum (again the back side), steel wool, paint thinner to remove old tar. I came close to getting the sand blaster out. I did get them cleaned up ok. What did I use? Any and everything I had. Didn't hurt anything. In my case, anything would look better than they did.
    It appears mine are only coated on the front as well. I was hoping you'd have better news for me. Just wondering if one of those acid-based cleaners everyone avoids might be the ticket?

Thanks... TL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    It appears mine are only coated on the front as well. I was hoping you'd have better news for me. Just wondering if one of those acid-based cleaners everyone avoids might be the ticket?

Thanks... TL
    It will not hurt to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Steel Wool is a big, big no,no.........that will strip all protection of the MFG. Try diluted ammonia or Meg's APC.......steel wool is not cool !!
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers PowerMetal Aluminum applied by hand with a Microfiber towel. That's the strongest combination I've tried so far; I actually also last used it to clean the insides of my Subaru's wheels.
    08 Subaru WRX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast