autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I don't know whether to hate you all or love you all

lol

Hi everyone. I found this forum while searching for a way to remove some water spots, and over the course of the last two days I think I've read most of the instructional and informative posts that I could find on here, and somehow along the way, wanting to simply remove those spots I have has suddenly turned into wanting to full out detail my 3 vehicles to their best. So now instead of looking at spending less than $50, I think I'm closer to $400 now in all the things that I think I now need. I wanted to get some opinions to make sure I'm getting everything I need. The 3 vehicles I will be working on will be a black '93 4Runner which has noticeable water spotting and some scratching mostly on the hood and roof, a titanium '00 Civic which has some minor water spotting and really hazy plastic on the headlight lenses, and a silver '04 Yukon XL which is fine other than some minor surface scratching (about 1" x 3") on the hood. The products I think I need are as follows:

Poorboy’s Porter Cable 7424 Polish & Protect Kit
    Pinnacle Poly Clay Bundle
    Poorboy's EX-P Pure Sealant
    Poorboy's QW+
    Cobra Microfiber Towel Combo
    The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave
    Wolfgang Plastik Lens Cleaning System
    DP Perfect Vision Glass Kit

Am I covering all the bases with my selections, or did I leave something out? Also, are these solid choices, and if anyone has any other suggestions or substitues, please let me know, and why that is. I look forward to any and all help. Thanks.

Kevin
    Last edited by wicked1; 08-22-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks pretty good. I like to load up on towels tho. The more you have, the less you wash.
    *Signature removed by admin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jump now! Pretty soon you won't be able to get off the plane.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    I would substitute PB clay with Clay Magic clay that is available at Autozone (under $15). Works great and saves a few $$. Also Poorboy's QW+ is a bit more work then you think it's almost like waxing your car, PB Spray and Gloss is a true quick detailer (which I assume you are looking for) no? All else look good......

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

wytstang: Thanks for the heads up on the clay magic, but unfortunately I just called Autozone and they don't have it. I may just stop by and see for myself though as the guy I talked to seemed a little clueless. Thanks also for telling me about the PB QW+, as all I wanted was a quick detailer. I guess I will just use the Spray and Gloss that comes in the PB Porter Cable kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing I Will add is this...

1) Get some good car shampoo... since you are going PB's go with their SS&S...
    2) Get another WW drying towel at least.... (I've dropped mine and had to grab another)...
    3) Speaking of towels.... grab some more.. not sure what is included in that kit, but get a couple of Miracles.. they are great.. again, you dont want to be short and drop one... because once you drop them.. you're screwed...
    4) Dont see a tire dressing product... (I dont think)... get the PB's, OR I happen to like the Wolfgang Tire Gel...
    5) Whatever you order, there will be more that you've either forgotten about or will want to try.. so keep that in mind...
    6) Get more applicators.. either the foam, or the MF applicators....

Have fun.... and watch your Credit Card balance grow!!!
    Last edited by aceshigh73; 08-22-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Advance Auto also carries it, they also offer Megs and Mothers clay KIT (both around $18) comes with paint cleaner and some other stuff. I would see if you could get the clay magic as they don't make you buy the paint cleaner and is a few $$ cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Don't forget to post pics of your work. With the PC take your time and go slow. You'll do great! We have a video link too if you haven't already seen it. http://www.autogeek.net/po.html Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    aces: Thanks for the tips. I guess you're right about not having too many towels. And you're right, I forgot to include some tire dressing and car soap. I was contemplating getting a wash gun too. What's the consensus on that? Good investment?

wytstang: Unfortunately I am in a small town, so for anything auto related I only have the Autozone or our Walmart to choose from, unless I feel like driving over an hour, so online is my only real option.

FloridaNative: I have watched the videos and thanks for your vote of confidence. I will take pictures and show the outcome, but it won't probably be until next week when I order everything, so I'm probably not looking at getting started on anything for about 2 weeks, even though I would like to do it tomorrow on my day off. lol Too much on the credit card as is, so I need to wait until the next billing cycle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast