autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A little quick help...2007 Cadillac Escalade

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for awhile on a couple of boards and I have finally decided to join and post a little. I have been detailing on the side since I was 13 years old, but I am still learning something new each day.

Now for a little help. I have a good amount of experience with the Ultimate Detailing Machine, but I am about to embark on a new project. My wife and I just picked up a used 2007 Cadillac Escalade...black of course. The paint reflects pretty well, but under lights you can see the swirls. It also looks as if someone used a large rv brush to wash the outside because you can see the small hairline scratches. Now, I have a couple of Poorboy's products in my shop (SSR 1, SSR 2, SSR 2.5, and SSR 3) and would just like to know where to start, since I have never tried anything like this on black, or for that matter is black paint different that polishing dark grey or blue (which I have done). I would just like any information that would help me to do a great job and have this thing looking brand new again. Also, are there any products that are better than the Poorboys that I already have, that would get me better results or am I ok with what I have (Poorboys stuff has always been a great product for me). Any help I can get will surely be appreciated and hopefully I can be of assistance to some of you someday. Thanks again in advance.

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little quick help...2007 Cadillac Escalade

The color won't change what products to use. What kind of pads do you have? You could do a test section with the 2.5 and a white pad to see how that works out. If you feel like the results aren't good enough, step up to either 2.5 and an orange pad, or the 3 and a white pad. There is better stuff out there such as Menzerna, 3M, and Scholls. You can get Menzerna here, but you should be able to get good results using what you have.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

finding the right pad and polish choice is your first step. start with the least aggressive and work your way up to what works. i would imagine though that ssr 3 should not be used unless it is your last option. by the way what pads do you have for the udm?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshs07redss View Post
    The color won't change what products to use. What kind of pads do you have? You could do a test section with the 2.5 and a white pad to see how that works out. If you feel like the results aren't good enough, step up to either 2.5 and an orange pad, or the 3 and a white pad. There is better stuff out there such as Menzerna, 3M, and Scholls. You can get Menzerna here, but you should be able to get good results using what you have.
    Use the least aggressive pad and polish first. You should clay your paint before polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah...I forgot about claying haha...that's always an important step!
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I knew I had to clay...lol. I have the complete line of Lake Country CCS pads from the yellow all the way to the black and blue, and I have at least two of each...some colors more. I was thinking of starting with the 2.5 with the white because I don't think it needs the 3, plus the 3 is really abrasive. Now if any of you had to recommend 2 products out of the Menzerna line, what would you choose and why? Now I know that is tought without seeing the car but just based upon what I have told you. Again thanks for the help guys. I am really looking forward to getting this thing right.

Post Thanks / Like

You would want to go with Menzerna's SIP/Nano combo. You could even throw in 85rd as a third step if you really wanted, but the SIP/Nano by itself will give you fantastic results. If you're using a DA, Menz will take a little longer to break down than if you were using a rotary, but you will still get great results. A lot of members swear by their stuff. Chances are you will only need the orange, white, green, red, and blue pads. There is a great combo pack on AG for both SIP/Nano, along with two cobra towels and an applicator pad for less than what you would pay for SIP and Nano if you bought it alone.
    Last edited by Joshs2013MSAltimaSL; 02-11-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna is great stuff, and that is what I use myself. However, I would stay with the Poorboys stuff you already have unless you find that it doesn't work for you. Your technique is just as important as the product you use. With good technique, you can get great results with cheap polish, but with bad technique, even the most expensive polish won't give you good results
    1982 Olds Cutlass - my summer toy.
    1999 Suburban - Black of course!
    2002 Bonneville - The Mutt, a mix of everything.