autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

need to know which products to bring back 914

Hey guys. We just got a new member to our little 914 club and are gonna try and restore the paint in a few weeks. I'm rather excited because just the little test I did last night showed we can probably get it looking 10 times better.

First the paint. It's 37 year old and original. The top is heavily oxidated. I have griots fine polish that I was planning on using unless you guys have a better recommendation. I want to be very gentle though this paint does seem very soft.

I also though this was a good time to order some products from zaino to protect it once done. Again I am open to suggestions.

Next I will need to clean up the chrome. This I am not sure how I would do at all. What would I need to do this? The chrome isn't pitted anywhere but it's pretty scratched up.

The interior is in really good shape. that shouldn't be a problem.

Finally is there a polishing kit you can us on glass to bring it back to like new condition.

Thanks guys
    Nate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need to know which products to bring back 914

Any pics? One of the guys we track with had a 914 with an built LS6. Little bugger was fast as hell on the track.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

DP and Diamondite both have glass kits. Most people will give you a Menzerna SIP/106FA combination to try. What color is it? Any pictures would assist in helping you out. If the paint is soft you could try the power finish 203. With soft paint, and any other paint, you want to go least aggressive first. Then bump it up if neeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Also for glass, if its really etched with water spots, Try #0000 steel wool, and Klasse AIO. Was the only thing I found that can remove it. And then you can use the polish glass products after. Or first, if it doesn't work, try the steel wool and AIO combo.

I've always liked Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish for chrome etc. Optimum makes an excellent polish and compound line thats easy to work with and long work times.
    The real WyStang:

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have taken a camera last night. I won't see the car until we start working on it.

Also the top is like a black vynil type top and I put some black magic on it and it just sucked it up like a sponge. I have some Mother back to black I can use but like I said I am open to suggestions.

I think I should be fine with the griots polish.

Now what kind of tool would I use to do the chrome? I don't think a porter cable would work. Is there a drill attachment that will let me run the edge down the chrome. It's pretty scratched up. Did not see any pitting though.

The paint had so many fine scratches and was covered in oxidation. I was able to get some of the oxidation off by hand when just experimenting with the paint. Underneight I never have seen so many spiderweb type scratches before. Just the whole car was covered like that.

Diamondite products are on my order list for sure!
    Last edited by turboman808; 12-13-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try by hand first with a foam applicator, if that doesn't work check out the mothers powerball. I think it comes in two sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
    Hey guys. We just got a new member to our little 914 club and are gonna try and restore the paint in a few weeks. I'm rather excited because just the little test I did last night showed we can probably get it looking 10 times better.

First the paint. It's 37 year old and original. The top is heavily oxidated. I have griots fine polish that I was planning on using unless you guys have a better recommendation. I want to be very gentle though this paint does seem very soft.

I also though this was a good time to order some products from zaino to protect it once done. Again I am open to suggestions.

Next I will need to clean up the chrome. This I am not sure how I would do at all. What would I need to do this? The chrome isn't pitted anywhere but it's pretty scratched up.

The interior is in really good shape. that shouldn't be a problem.

Finally is there a polishing kit you can us on glass to bring it back to like new condition.

Thanks guys
    Nate
    I would start off with the least aggressive, then you can always work your way up....I am really big on the Menzerna line.........Power Finish and SIP I can testify to and wow, both are incredibile products...........
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435