autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Another 4'' pad problem

I saw someone post about their 4'' pads caving in. I have the same problem with my pads that i just got in. They have the velcro all the way to the edge. My white pad it badly caved to the point im not sure if i can still use it. This was the pads first use and i only did 4 passes with it and it looked this way after the second but i wanted to finish the job. Is this normal? I would really like to get at least one detail out of these things. I feel like i really got screwed on this one. My 5.5'' pads held up great so needless to say i am a little dissappointed. I will try to post pics of how bad it is tomorrow afternoon and give it plenty of time to regain all the shape it can just to be fair.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another 4'' pad problem

Quote Originally Posted by charliehaley View Post
    I saw someone post about their 4'' pads caving in. I have the same problem with my pads that i just got in. They have the velcro all the way to the edge. My white pad it badly caved to the point im not sure if i can still use it. This was the pads first use and i only did 4 passes with it and it looked this way after the second but i wanted to finish the job. Is this normal? I would really like to get at least one detail out of these things. I feel like i really got screwed on this one. My 5.5'' pads held up great so needless to say i am a little dissappointed. I will try to post pics of how bad it is tomorrow afternoon and give it plenty of time to regain all the shape it can just to be fair.
    I had the same problem the first time I used the 4" pads. I did a little research and I believe the conclusion I came to was too much pressure was being used. I can't remember where I saw it, but several people said that caved i pads are caused by too much pressure being put on them of a long period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, you are right, sounds like too much pressure is being used with the 4 inch pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I only used the weight of the machine on vertical surfaces and light pressure on horizontal since it was just finishing polish and jeweling. I used the amount the pad collapsed with just the weight of the machine to serve as a guide for how much pressure to apply also. Could this amount of pressure cause this also and is the pad still ok to use?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

It is still ok to use meaning it won't damage your paint, but I don't know how effective it will be at polishing. I just threw mine away after that happened. Since then I have been more careful with my pressure and I have not had the problem again.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone contacted AG about this? I have some ccs 4" and use a lot of pressure with no problems.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Has anyone contacted AG about this? I have some ccs 4" and use a lot of pressure with no problems.
    I've found that the orange and yellow pads can take quite a bit of pressure without caving. its the softer white, red and black pads that seem to have the problem. I don't think it is a problem with the product though, rather user error. Now thats just my opinion, not a proven fact.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to go complaining to Autogeek about it if it is something that is normal but i also dont have alot of money to waste and this was my last order i will make until next summer. Should i Pm Meghan about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charliehaley View Post
    I don't want to go complaining to Autogeek about it if it is something that is normal but i also dont have alot of money to waste and this was my last order i will make until next summer. Should i Pm Meghan about this?
    I would, wouldn't you want to find out what is causing this problem? It won't cost you a dime and they won't sluff you off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    You might be oversaturating pad with polish.
    How does that collapse the pad, even after cleaning?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast