autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Help With Polished/Chrome Rims

I have these rims on by truck:

Weld Racing Cheyenne 6
    20"x12 rims. I have been having a debate with myself on if they are polished or chrome.

I have been super busy with detailing so i have had very little time to pay close attention to my own truck since we have 2 that we use for our detailing.

The wheel has some light water spots and has some scratches that i would consider to be like marring/swirls on a painted surface. I have some polish that i have been using for a while that works ok, but i see some people rolling around with rims like mine that look new, and even this one guy i talked to who details his cars very often has rims similar to me and they look like they came off the show room floor and he has had them for years.

I just want to polish them up real good, and get rid of the scratches.

What polish/pad combo could i use for this? Would it be safe to us my PC or Makita with a certain pad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I guess i would also need to establish if they are chrome or polished.

When i run polish on them such as wicked metal polish the MicroFiber turns black if that helps. Pics up soon.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help With Polished/Chrome Rims

There are some pics as you can see the scratches that i would refer to as micro marring/swirls.

Any help?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say those are polished aluminum for sure. Chrome way to hard to have those swirls and brighter shine on chrome too. Why not try one of those polishing balls and one of the many wheel polishes available OTC.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pricha00 View Post
    I would say those are polished aluminum for sure. Chrome way to hard to have those swirls and brighter shine on chrome too. Why not try one of those polishing balls and one of the many wheel polishes available OTC.

Pat.
    That was something that i did want to try. How strong of a drill do you need? Not sure if i want to try to get a better drill then the one i have.

Any wheel polishes you recommend that might help?

Post Thanks / Like

How To: Polish Aluminum Wheels - S-10 Forum

I've done it many times. And damn I want the Cheyenne's. I just couldn't justify the price for them. Damn weld and their high prices, but damn their nice rims. Ill keep my black rockstars for now!

Post Thanks / Like

I did a read through on that and hopefully it works on clear coated rims or so i think mine have a clear coat. Never thought that using a latex glove would help, but i'll try it hopefully this week.

Quote Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
    How To: Polish Aluminum Wheels - S-10 Forum

I've done it many times. And damn I want the Cheyenne's. I just couldn't justify the price for them. Damn weld and their high prices, but damn their nice rims. Ill keep my black rockstars for now!

Post Thanks / Like

If yours are clearcoated the scratches would likely not be as prevalent. You would then treat them as paint. Those pics suggest aluminum uncoated wheels. You can test a small area with a metal polish and if you see black tarnish on towel, they are not coated.

Using a mushroom polishing head, a good drill, and various metal polishes can help tremendously. Unfortunately uncoated wheels are always in a state of tarnish and never found much to protect long term and look nice. Most of these brush on products make them look milky versus shiny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    If yours are clearcoated the scratches would likely not be as prevalent. You would then treat them as paint. Those pics suggest aluminum uncoated wheels. You can test a small area with a metal polish and if you see black tarnish on towel, they are not coated.

Using a mushroom polishing head, a good drill, and various metal polishes can help tremendously. Unfortunately uncoated wheels are always in a state of tarnish and never found much to protect long term and look nice. Most of these brush on products make them look milky versus shiny.
    I have polished them before. Using a metal polish and the polish and the microfiber do turn black. There is one guy who lives near my girlfriend who has similar rims though i don't see him much anymore. He polishes his rims all the rime and uses wax after to protect them, but i just want to get rid of the scratches . . . most marks like water spots and stuff come of when i polish them . . . . where can i get a mushroom polishing head or a buff wheel type pad for my makita?

I'm trying to save them before they get really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Wool Ball Polishing Balls polish metals, plastics, fiberglass, and more just like a wool pad. Polish wheels, polish metal, wool polish

I use to get smaller ones from Eastwood. You use your drill. P21S Polishing Soap is nice to remove the tarnish, but needs to be followed up with a metal polish, here what I do.

1. Wash with P21S Wheel Cleaner
    2. Rewash with P21S Polishing Soap
    3. Dry
    4. Polish with metal polishing and mushroom bob's
    5. Seal with Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Lake Country Wool Ball Polishing Balls polish metals, plastics, fiberglass, and more just like a wool pad. Polish wheels, polish metal, wool polish

I use to get smaller ones from Eastwood. You use your drill. P21S Polishing Soap is nice to remove the tarnish, but needs to be followed up with a metal polish, here what I do.

1. Wash with P21S Wheel Cleaner
    2. Rewash with P21S Polishing Soap
    3. Dry
    4. Polish with metal polishing and mushroom bob's
    5. Seal with Poorboys Wheel Sealant
    That wool polishing ball won't scratch up the rim or anything? Got any hots of your rims and how long you have had them? I'm hoping that stuff works . . . willing to give it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast