autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax or not to wax? Chrome wheels

I just bought some new chrome wheels for my truck. I have been researching the internet on how to maintain and protect them. I am confused. It has been unanimous that cleaning should be done with soap and water. As for protection, I have been reading conflicting advice. I have read about every wheel sealant. Pb's, DP, Wheelwax. I've also read that Klasse works well too. All of these I'm sure will help protect against brake dust, salt, etc. On the other hand, I've read that chrome needs to breathe and waxing will ruin the finish. I've added a couple links to the articles I've read. I've also emailed every company and detailer I can find. (no responses yet) Zymol.com recommends.... A simple and very effective way to protect chrome is to use non-silicone, water based Carnauba sap dressings like Zymöl Detail™ or Field Glaze. Has anyone used these products? Are there any onther Non-silicone, water based carnauba sap dressings that someone could recommed? Thank you in advance for your help.

http://www.familycar.com/carcare/OldManWinter.htm
    16. THE SHINING: Never wax chrome. Chrome needs oxygen to keep its appearance. Wax traps moisture and can cause unsightly bluing and pitting. Clean chrome with a good pre-wax cleaner and leave it alone.

http://www.zymol.com/chrome_pro.htm
    DO NOT POLISH CHROME UNLESS IT IS YOUR VOCATION. CHROME IS EASILY DAMAGED BY ABRASIVES AND AMMONIATED SOLVENTS.
    DO NOT WAX CHROME. WAX WILL TRAP MOISTURE IN THE POROUS CHROME SURFACE AND CAUSE THE SUBSTRATE TO CORRODE.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Klasse AIO and love the results on my chorme wheels. They look very reflective and shiny, and AIO has great durbailty so far. I don't even have any water spots on my after all the rain and crap my truck has been through. Repels dirt/grime pretty well too.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    I use Klasse AIO and love the results on my chorme wheels. They look very reflective and shiny, and AIO has great durbailty so far. I don't even have any water spots on my after all the rain and crap my truck has been through. Repels dirt/grime pretty well too.
    Is this product Non-silicone, water based carnauba sap?
    Will it allow the chrome to breathe? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner that leaves behind some acrylic protection. But seems to fit this qoute in your post "Clean chrome with a good pre-wax cleaner and leave it alone."
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    I never heard that Chrome needs to breathe .... seems like hogwash. I have had more than 10 sets of custom wheels, most chrome, and never had an issue with them. I clean them, polish them with chrome cleaner, and have coated with all three products you mentioned. Wax cannot handle the heat wheels see, so I stuck with the sealants. (Poorboys , DP)

I can tell you after having high-polished uncoated, I will NEVER get them again. Back to chrome .... the biggest issue with chrome is it can pit if not cleaned properly as brake dust is highly caustic. Also road debris can chip chrome and it then takes on smaller rust spots. Thats why I always used the sealants, in hope a little extra protection would help.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    I never heard that Chrome needs to breathe .... seems like hogwash. I have had more than 10 sets of custom wheels, most chrome, and never had an issue with them. I clean them, polish them with chrome cleaner, and have coated with all three products you mentioned. Wax cannot handle the heat wheels see, so I stuck with the sealants. (Poorboys , DP)

I can tell you after having high-polished uncoated, I will NEVER get them again. Back to chrome .... the biggest issue with chrome is it can pit if not cleaned properly as brake dust is highly caustic. Also road debris can chip chrome and it then takes on smaller rust spots. Thats why I always used the sealants, in hope a little extra protection would help.
    Do you recommend DP WG, or Poorboys WS? My chrome wheels are new.
    Also, I've read in the forums that Klasse SG works well. I have not tried any of these products yet. I just ordered Klasse AIO and SG. Will the Klasse be good protection or should I get one of the wheel sealants as well? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

chrome

Well, I know that Zymol is correct from my experience in testing coatings such as chrome for the auto industry. However, I have never performed a corrosion test with the purpose of detecting this difference. Also, most chrome wheels are clear coated, so they don't get oxygen to them anyway.

I'll find a scrap piece of chrome somewhere and put it in the 240 hr salt spray corrosion test with wax / seal / bare to see the difference.

This test will take me a little time, as I need to locate a suitable test piece. I may stop by a junkyard this week to get a sample, as I don't work with a company that does chrome plating anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    what about a product like Prime Acrylic? An AIO with acrylic for added durability
    Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danjosborn
    Well, I know that Zymol is correct from my experience in testing coatings such as chrome for the auto industry. However, I have never performed a corrosion test with the purpose of detecting this difference. Also, most chrome wheels are clear coated, so they don't get oxygen to them anyway.

I'll find a scrap piece of chrome somewhere and put it in the 240 hr salt spray corrosion test with wax / seal / bare to see the difference.

This test will take me a little time, as I need to locate a suitable test piece. I may stop by a junkyard this week to get a sample, as I don't work with a company that does chrome plating anymore.
    The results of your test should be interesting and I'm sure appreciated by many on this board!

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danjosborn

Oh man, that would be great!!! I can't wait to see the results. I have been driving myself crazy trying to get the right information. I'd say half of the companies I have emailed say it's ok to use a sealant and the other half says not to use a sealant. It will be great to find out the results of your test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast