autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best topper for 4* UPP?

I'm finally getting around to doing the summer detail on my car and I've decided to use the Pinnacle Twins (Swirl Remover & Finishing Polish) and 4* UPP w/Polycharger.

I'm already done with that and the UPP is curing as we speak, but I can't decide what to put on top of the UPP. I know there was some debate as to how long the UPP would last, and I'm hoping to get to October/November, so I'm thinking I need a sacrificial layer of carnuaba or a second coat of UPP. Though, this is the summer detail so I'm going for a great look (as opposed to the winter detail where I shot for most protection/durability).

The car is an 06 Charger with Magnesium Pearl Paint, and during the summer it'll see at least bi-weekly washing (usually weekly, but sometimes life gets in the way) and the wax can be maintained with Liquid Souveran Spray, Aquawax, Optimum Instant Gloss Enhancer, and Meg's UQD.

So the question:
    What should I top the UPP with? Available stock includes and is limited to:
    • A second coat of UPP
    • Liquid Souveran (w/o Polycharger)
    • XMT180
    • Pinnacle Souveran
    • Duragloss 101 (Cleaner so I would assume not, but I have it)
    • Duragloss 105
    • Aquawax
    • Nothing! 1 coat of UPP is enough.
    Follow up question is what maintenance spray wax do I use to keep it up?
    • LSS
    • AW
    • Optimum Instant Gloss
    • Meg's UQD
    Thanks - All of your input is appreciated. I'm going to be hitting this fresh at 3 o'clock so post up!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best topper for 4* UPP?

I also have some of the new UPP coming in. I plan on doing a test side by side with older UPP to see the differences.

Back to your question, even though you don't have this, I would use 4* UPPS - the UPP spray sealant. It is a very cool product and is very similar to UPP just in spray form. You spray on, wipe off, bring vehicle into the sun and as it cures in the sun it gets very very slick. You don't need to bring it in the sun but when it first came out that was the neat thing about it, it gets very slick from the heat of the sun.

But anything you use is going to work fine. The LS and LS spray sounds like a nice combo. But then again UPP is nice by itself and adding another layer every 2-3 months and maintaining in between with OID.
    Last edited by budman3; 07-10-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Souveran and UPP are a beautiful combo. You could maintain with LSS, AW, or OIG. From my experience AW will alter the depth of the finish and make it a little more reflective, but still beautiful. I haven't tried OIG yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I see UPP I think of Killr's Vette that is topped with Souveran. It's impressive, however black, and you're working with pearl. Think that I'd try a little side by side with the Souveran and LS to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    Back to your question, even though you don't have this, I would use 4* UPPS - the UPP spray sealant. It is a very cool product and is very similar to UPP just in spray form. You spray on, wipe off, bring vehicle into the sun and as it cures in the sun it gets very very slick. You don't need to bring it in the sun but when it first came out that was the neat thing about it, it gets very slick from the heat of the sun.
    How long does the UPPS take to cure?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Souveran and UPP are a beautiful combo. You could maintain with LSS, AW, or OIG. From my experience AW will alter the depth of the finish and make it a little more reflective, but still beautiful. I haven't tried OIG yet.
    I used the AW on top of the Klasse twins and XMT180 for my winter detail this past year, and was amazed at how much the AW put back in the depth of the car & helped bring out some of the pearl. But I am afraid the AW will really change the look, as you've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Every time I see UPP I think of Killr's Vette that is topped with Souveran. It's impressive, however black, and you're working with pearl. Think that I'd try a little side by side with the Souveran and LS to see.
    How can I remove the 'loser' (so to speak) without removing the underlying sealant?

Thanks guys - keep the thoughts comin!

Post Thanks / Like

My last purchase was the Souveran Liquid w/ polycharge. I topped it with Danase Wet Glaze. I Like the "Wet Look"
    Has anyone tried the Danase Wet Glaze,and if so what's your take on it?

Post Thanks / Like

I would use AW every other wash. This will prolong the UPP. But if your set on topping it I would use a nuba such as P21 100%

Post Thanks / Like

with the newer version of UPP all you need is the Spray Wax for a topper. Its a quick and beautiful combo.

Post Thanks / Like

hey bandgeek99 - how was it working with 4*UPP? Was it easy to apply and wipe off?

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Shine View Post
    My last purchase was the Souveran Liquid w/ polycharge. I topped it with Danase Wet Glaze. I Like the "Wet Look"
    Has anyone tried the Danase Wet Glaze,and if so what's your take on it?
    DWG is nice, but its a glaze and wont last. I would top it with a nuba or LS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast