autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many coats?

Post Thanks / Like

How many coats?

Last weekend I gave my new cts exterior paint(black) a detail job. I did the the whole nine yards.
    Washed and then clayed it. I went on to sip menzerna with an orange pad. From there I went on to polish PO85RD grey pad and the wipe down with top inspection. I got most of the swirling and scratches out. The next day I applied wgdps 3.0 with a blue pad.

I washed the car yesterday and it's as if I never applied a sealant last weekend. The paint looks like it has a dull film over it, couple new chips in the hood. Also today there was bird crap on the hood. Must of only been there baking in the sun for a few hours tops, to leave a good staining.

So now I polished half of the hood with nano polish and lc white pad. It got the bird stain out and shine the paint right back up. But every wipe with the cobra edgeless mf I get new scratches. I just can't win.

I guess now I'm going to go over the whole car again this weekend with nano and then maybe try wgdps or go with fuzion wax instead or maybe both I don't know.

What do I need to do to stay protected or will I always get a scratch,chip,stain. no matter what.

Thanks for reading and any input is very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many coats?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridges View Post
    Last weekend I gave my new cts exterior paint(black) a detail job. I did the the whole nine yards.
    Washed and then clayed it. I went on to sip menzerna with an orange pad. From there I went on to polish PO85RD grey pad and the wipe down with top inspection. I got most of the swirling and scratches out. The next day I applied wgdps 3.0 with a blue pad.

I washed the car yesterday and it's as if I never applied a sealant last weekend. The paint looks like it has a dull film over it, couple new chips in the hood. Also today there was bird crap on the hood. Must of only been there baking in the sun for a few hours tops, to leave a good staining.

So now I polished half of the hood with nano polish and lc white pad. It got the bird stain out and shine the paint right back up. But every wipe with the cobra edgeless mf I get new scratches. I just can't win.

I guess now I'm going to go over the whole car again this weekend with nano and then maybe try wgdps or go with fuzion wax instead or maybe both I don't know.

What do I need to do to stay protected or will I always get a scratch,chip,stain. no matter what.

Thanks for reading and any input is very much appreciated.
    First of all is the cobra new and if so, did you wash it first. 3.0 and Fuzion should be a good combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry forgot to mention it, yes they are new but they have been washed a couple times.

Would applying a couple coats of fuzion put a nice hard coating over the paint for good protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry forgot to mention it, yes they are new but they have been washed a couple times.

Would applying a couple coats of fuzion put a nice hard coating over the paint for good protection?
    I just did 2X Fuzion. I always do nuba's twice, but the key is thin, thin, thin.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW how many mf's do you have? No sense in using the same one that is scratching your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one polishing pack(COBRA-900) which I have six mf's.

Should I use something else instead? What's the top of the line?Something that is pretty much a guarantee to not scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one polishing pack(COBRA-900) which I have six mf's.

Should I use something else instead? What's the top of the line?Something that is pretty much a guarantee to not scratch.
    Sorry I don't think it's right for me to recommend a mf on Auto Geeks site. Cobra is their best selling brand of mf's. Did you try the others with the same results? If so, I would PM Megan and tell her your problem. It seems that you are doing everything right, including doing a final wipe down after polishing. Are you doing your work in a garage or outdoors?

Post Thanks / Like

I will try them all out again, if worse comes to worse I can use them for the interior.

I'm doing my work in a 20x20 closed tent.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck, sorry I couldn't help. Do call AG they are real helpful people. I feel for you, remember your black paint is not a color, but a part time job.

Post Thanks / Like

wash towels well, I prefer the specific MF cleaners like Microrestore, and most importantly store outside of dust and dirt. I use ziplocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast