autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Scratched my paint/ Repainting?

Hope this falls under "detailing". You guys have the answer to everything else, so here goes.....

I have a 2008 Tundra that I have managed to keep fairly pristine until about a week ago. As I was backing my truck into the driveway, my mailbox fell open(its next to the driveway) and I caught the door with my truck.

There are about four 1/4"x1.5" scratches on the passenger rear near the tail-lights.

I have some spray color match paint,clearcoat,and primer.

My question is how should I prep the area to be sprayed? Should I wait to wax/seal or can I apply sealer after the paint has dried? Thoughts? Any insights or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. This forum has been invaluable to me for information.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratched my paint/ Repainting?

Did it go thru the cc?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it looks that way.... Just barely touched it before slammin' on my brakes, but I've heard some comments about how thin the paint is on these trucks.....

Looks like "down to the metal" to me

Post Thanks / Like

where did you get the touch up paint from? you best bet is to goto a body shop and let them match the paint color. here is why------------------------------------------------->

to give example of what i mean i took picture of a set of paint colors from work. there are 5 different swatches but all are same paint code.

dont think the picture shows it but there is a difference in all 5 colors. and as you will see from the next picture they are all the same nissan paint code

you notice there is a letter after the color name. that is where alot of problems come. some shops may not pay attention to that. and it will make a world of difference in the color. all 5 are the same manufactures code (KL0) also all the same name (silver ice) and all from the same year (1992) which is why touch up paint you but in stores or even from the dealership does not match. to many variable within the paint code

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought the paint online. I'd heard good things about this particular vendor, so gave it a shot. The kit comes with a neutral swatch that the paint can be applied to and compared to truck. I haven't tested to see how well it matches.

I'm hoping it matches...if not, I guess the bodyshop is in my future. Just wanted to avoid dropping that kind of cash, ya know?
    Paid too much to compromise tho...Don't mind trying new things, but aint gonna jack up me truck just to save a little green....

Let say for a moment it appears to match...whats my next step ya think.

Incidently, great response detailgod, good things to consider. Very informative. Thank you for your time.