autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Four Starr Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP)

http://www.autogeek.net/plcarcapr.html

This is a line of products that I started to experiment with last year after seeing so many posts of UPP this and UPP that and not really knowing the product well. The first use was simply as easy as using Wolfgang Concours and the results were quite different. (reminded me of a very well known "other" sealant) The finish is extremely reflective, and yet silky smooth and slippery. (Wolfgang is warmer, not a bright IMO) Both are very pleasing but slightly different creatures. I like crisper look of UPP on black ... and yes some of the slickness falls off after 3-4 washes, but the gloss spritz seems to bring most of it back.

I have found the durability in Florida's weather to be more exceptible (7+ weeks) when used with their soap and Gloss Spray after each wash. I have found it to be completely delightful when topped with Souveran Paste. Infact, the more I try other new products the more I come back to this sealant.

So whats everyone's thoughts on this little gem hidden in the catalog of Autogeek ?? Anyone using the new spray sealant version ?? I have yet to try it, as never found a spray sealant that offers exactly what the bottled version can. I would hate to think less of this line , thoughts ??

2 Layers of UPP / No Topper
    Last edited by ScottB; 03-18-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have felt the same way about UPP. It is an awesome product. It looks best with about 4 layers and then topped with a carnauba. Until you guys brought along Wolfgang that was my favorite combination. I still use UPP all the time because I have some clients who simply won't convert. lol It looks so awesome that I really can't blame them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDetails
    4 layers and then topped with a carnauba.
    you are simply a powerhouse. Are you doing all coats back to back ?? Following the rule (well more of a conscensus) of no more than 2 coats at a time and 24 hours to cure ... please tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't apply a sealant again until at least 18 hours of cure time. I'm in a pretty dry climate and 18 hours is usually enough. Either way, I usually just put a new coat on once a week for a few weeks after the weekly wash. That was just on my own personal vehicles. Most of my regulars only have me detail the car every other month or so and I doubt they ever get up to 3 coats before I have to polish out their swirls again.

Post Thanks / Like
    THE 4-STAR BRAND is BECOMING MY FAVORITE. the UPP is by far the slickest sealant ever!! IMO & its in the top 5 products in my book. I just bought the UPPS & cant wait to try it. I did top UPP with Blue NATTY'S & IT LOOKED AWESOME. !! have you guys tried the tire gel ? it is also my favorite gel

Post Thanks / Like
    Most products lose their slickness after multiple washings when not "replenished" or "maintained". The advantage of products like UPP & WG is the fact that a spray sealant has been developed to work in conjunction with the "bottled" version. The UPPS replenishes & extends the effectiveness of UPP. And yes, it can be said that UPP displays a similar look to another well known "Zealant". But don't expect the same durability & longevity as the other "Zealant". I prefer the look of UPP on non metalic flaked paint. For instance.....When I use UPP on my Black Sand Pearl colored Tacoma, it "pops" the flake so much that the actual black color gets "washed" out in direct sunlight. ( as does the "Zealant" ) My truck turns a "silvery" color. Interesting. I find myself topping UPP with Souveran to mute the flake & deepen the color. (nice combo) Sometimes I top UPP with Natty's Blue as well, which gives a slightly different look. (very wet with slightly muted flake) However, UPP used on non metalic flaked paint of any color is shweet! (just my opinion)WG gives a warmer, almost carnauba look. But doesn't seem to last as long as UPP.Both are great products which allow you to augment the looks of your paints color. (which is cool!) Both provide nice slickness, as well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. In all honesty, even though both UPP & WG are terrific products, I do prefer to use the other sealants in my detailing arsenal on a regular basis. ( but I do come back to UPP & WG every now & then.)
    Carnauba Geek!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use UPP mainly on light metallic colors. The brightness achieved with multiple layers, along with the metallic flake pop gives an awesome look to light colors. I don't use it on dark metallics because I go for wetness on darks and UPP doesn't give that attribute.

Post Thanks / Like
    The entire 4 Star Ultimate line of products is very good.

Specifically, I've had the opportunity to use an older UPP formula, and the latest version. The newer version is definitely easier to use and a good synthetic wax. As a matter of fact, visually, and protection wise, I find it's almost as good as the new Mothers Reflections car wax.

I've also topped UPP with various carnauba's with good results. However, to be honest, as with any synthetic wax/natural wax combo, after a couple of coats of carnauba, the carnauba takes over the finished look.

With that said, when I am going to top a synthetic wax with a carnauba, I look for a easy to apply, reasonably durable synthetic wax, and a carnauba that will remove as little of the base coat of synthetic wax as possible. My intended results are a durable finish with a great carnauba look.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using 4* for about a year now, off and on, on 2 of my autos and am very pleased with looks, durability and ease of use.

Last weekend I topped the trunk of my magnesium metallic with MAX WAX, and boy it is sweet (I didn't have time to do the whole auto). It added the one thing that UPP/UPPS lacks - extreme wetness - while keeping the clarity of the finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the pleasure to view a daily driver by a respected member of another forum. Absolutely was a thrill for me to see the paint shine on this vehicle. I have plans to use UPP this coming fall. I look forward to the results.

Many people state that UPP is slick. I love slick. Look forward to comparing UPP side by side with another product that I think(at this moment anyways) is the slickest product out there.
    cwcad

Do What You Say....Say What You Do!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life's details