autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have neglected my car...

I have a 2007 Camry LE, and I live in SW Florida, you can imagine what my problem is. I got lazy because I work a lot and didn't always clean off the love bugs in a timely manner. I have poor boy's bug squash and the little yellow scrubby that do great on fresh ones, but I do fear I have some etching from past love bugs. I bought Klasse all-in-one polish to use on my car because I really don't have the time to wax my car every six weeks (I wish I did). But I am hesitant to use it until I get the paint looking good again. If I buy and use a clay bar will that help me? Or is there some significant damage to the clear coat? I hope I can get the paint looking good again then keep it looking good with the Klasse. I did choose Klasse because of what I read about the ease of application and longevity. Does anyone disagree with using it?

I use DP Auto Bath Shampoo to clean the car with a two bucket system is that sufficient to give my car a bath? Anything better? I was also thinking of switching to Klasse Cleaner/Protectant for the interior, any objections?

Sorry for the long post, I am just trying to get my baby clean and purdy again.

Thank you in advance

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have neglected my car...

Quote Originally Posted by bergerm05 View Post
    I have a 2007 Camry LE, and I live in SW Florida, you can imagine what my problem is. I got lazy because I work a lot and didn't always clean off the love bugs in a timely manner. I have poor boy's bug squash and the little yellow scrubby that do great on fresh ones, but I do fear I have some etching from past love bugs. I bought Klasse all-in-one polish to use on my car because I really don't have the time to wax my car every six weeks (I wish I did). But I am hesitant to use it until I get the paint looking good again. If I buy and use a clay bar will that help me? Or is there some significant damage to the clear coat? I hope I can get the paint looking good again then keep it looking good with the Klasse. I did choose Klasse because of what I read about the ease of application and longevity. Does anyone disagree with using it?

I use DP Auto Bath Shampoo to clean the car with a two bucket system is that sufficient to give my car a bath? Anything better? I was also thinking of switching to Klasse Cleaner/Protectant for the interior, any objections?

Sorry for the long post, I am just trying to get my baby clean and purdy again.

Thank you in advance

Mike
    Clay will absolutely help, wash, clay with rinse water and a lubricant and then use the all in one. Clay will help get those bug guts off and any other contaminants. Best of luck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Love bugs are pretty mean suckers. In the case where they were left on too long you might be out of luck and have etched clear coat in which case there is not much you can do to fix it. On the other hand, if this is the case, I would say that all you mentioned that you were going to do would be able to make those spots less noticeable. Perhaps a glaze to "fill" in those spots might be in order in addition to all you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm over on the east coast of Florida, and this time last year a trip to Naples made my car look like this. I used a car wash pressure wand, then my normal wash routine, followed by claying and it was good as new. I have a separate piece of clay that I use just for bugs on my front bumper works better than the half dozen different bug and tar removers I have tried.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have neglected my car...-bugs-004-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

adding a little Poorboys Bug Squash to your normal wash often helps too during the bug season.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with a bird dropping that was left on too long. Washing alone did not help and I did not clay, but I did use the Klasse twins and I swear to you that etching went away and I was as happy as can be. Nowadays I would clay first, but I was blown away because I thought I'd have to live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

polishing (abrasive) should help to remove or lessen spots from bugs and birdie doo-doo. LuvBugs are the worst, I have seen them etch paint in about a day in high heat. You gotta wipe them off as quickly as possible, and keep some good protection (wax/sealant) on paint at all times during the season.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah - it's that time of the season again, they'll quit when hurricane season comes along
    enjoy life while you can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    I'm over on the east coast of Florida, and this time last year a trip to Naples made my car look like this. I used a car wash pressure wand, then my normal wash routine, followed by claying and it was good as new. I have a separate piece of clay that I use just for bugs on my front bumper works better than the half dozen different bug and tar removers I have tried.
    Not living in Florida it can be hard for us northerners to understand what you Floridians live with, bug wise. That Caddy picture summed it up. Do I understand you said this problem occurs for a short period during the summer? I certainly hope so.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    polishing (abrasive) should help to remove or lessen spots from bugs and birdie doo-doo. LuvBugs are the worst, I have seen them etch paint in about a day in high heat. You gotta wipe them off as quickly as possible, and keep some good protection (wax/sealant) on paint at all times during the season.
    I got some clay and lubricant (DP, one day turnaround thanks autogeek!) and just clayed the bumper, then applied the KAIO and it looks worse. Well the paint around the "spots" looks nicer but the problem areas pop a lot more. I think I really ruined the front of my car...

Can I apply polish my hand? Should I let a professional handle this?

thanks

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast