autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any downside to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed?

I'm just starting out and want to learn good technique, any downside (other than taking more time) to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed? Along those lines, is it okay to spot treat any bad areas or is it always best practice to redo an entire panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any downside to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bri26 View Post
    I'm just starting out and want to learn good technique, any downside (other than taking more time) to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed? Along those lines, is it okay to spot treat any bad areas or is it always best practice to redo an entire panel?
    The best advice I can give is that you ALWAYS want to start with the LEAST aggressive method(s) FIRST.

That being said, going around the whole car with a light polish IS NOT a bad idea. Depending on the condition of the car, it may be all you need to do to "fix" whatever issues you are looking to get rid of. If it doesn't fix what you're trying to get rid of, then step it up slightly by turning up the polisher to a slightly higher speed, OR use a more aggressive pad (with the same polish). Starting gentle will minimize risks and will help you get a feel for what you're doing.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

3. Likes Bri26, PouncingPanzer, Rsurfer, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any downside to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed?

What Don said, also, it's ok to "spot treat". If you do that, and it looks odd, then you can always do the rest of the panel, but it doesn't usually work out that way.

Post Thanks / Like

While doing as proposed would not have any negative effect on the vehicle, I see doing so as a complete waste of time and resources. Why would you go around the whole car just to find out that the results do not meet your expectations when you're finished?

Many will recommend a test spot to dial-in your process before proceeding with the entire vehicle. If the test spots meet your expectations, then proceed. If not, alter your process as necessary until they do.

Personally, and typically, I don't do test spots as in the classic 2' by 2' section. What I do is make an assessment of what I think will be necessary, based on experience, to achieve the desired result and then get to it. I'll use my first section, and/or panel, as my test spot. I'll assess the results and make adjustments, if necessary, before proceeding with the entire vehicle.

If there are isolated areas/defects that require additional attention, I'll usually address them first before making my final passes over the entire section and/or panel.

6. Likes opie, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    While doing as proposed would not have any negative effect on the vehicle, I see doing so as a complete waste of time and resources.

What I do is make an assessment of what I think will be necessary, based on experience...
    For cryin' out loud, the guy's a newb, he has no experience. Let him go around the car with a light polish. Don't you remember the first time you polished a car and how much better it looked even if it still had swirls?

8. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While doing as proposed would not have any negative effect on the vehicle, I see doing so as a complete waste of time and resources. Why would you go around the whole car just to find out that the results do not meet your expectations when you're finished?

Many will recommend a test spot to dial-in your process before proceeding with the entire vehicle. If the test spots meet your expectations, then proceed. If not, alter your process as necessary until they do.

Personally, and typically, I don't do test spots as in the classic 2' by 2' section. What I do is make an assessment of what I think will be necessary, based on experience, to achieve the desired result and then get to it. I'll use my first section, and/or panel, as my test spot. I'll assess the results and make adjustments, if necessary, before proceeding with the entire vehicle.

If there are isolated areas/defects that require additional attention, I'll usually address them first before making my final passes over the entire section and/or panel.
    On a clear day . . . and a high enough horse . . . one can truly see forever.

10. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No downside whatsoever.

It is probably the best way to get a feel for the machine and your process.

And it's totally ok to "spot treat".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Bri26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    For cryin' out loud, the guy's a newb, he has no experience. Let him go around the car with a light polish...
    All the more reason to do a test spot or panel to see the results before proceeding with the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago View Post
    On a clear day . . . and a high enough horse . . . one can truly see forever.
    And what exactly is that supposed to mean? That's a rhetorical question only... I know exactly what you meant and if I am correct you couldn't be further from the truth.

My response was intended to help out the new guy. The main point was that it's a good idea to do a test spot or small section to see the results before proceeding with the whole car.

14. Likes Brrr, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the more reason to do a test spot or panel to see the results before proceeding with the whole thing.
    With all due respect, what makes you think that someone who has never polished a car before is going to be able to properly evaluate a test spot?

To the OP; 2black1s is of course right, people who are experienced at this are usually able to guesstimate what an appropriate process will be, and a test spot will confirm that, and "making the whole car a test spot" is a waste of energy in that circumstance. Maybe you have 20 years of hand polishing experience and are up to date on your polish/compounds, and will know from the first panel you hit if you are getting the results you want.

But my guess is the above isn't true. You haven't specified what condition your vehicle is in and why specifically you want to polish, but if you are a typical new member, your car doesn't look the way you want it, and is in need of some TLC. A couple of tips (this is all presuming you are using a machine, which you haven't stated). You want to do a good wash before polishing, you will probably want to do some sort of decon (fallout remover, clay, clay substitute), mask the trim, or stay away from it with your polisher, unless you are sure your polish won't stain it.

If you are the typical member, you will be delighted at the improvement you've made, you'll have gotten used to handling the machine and process, then you'll start seeing the areas that need more work and you can start taking 2black1s's advice.

PS Perspective is always important. What seems obvious to you may not be obvious from someone else's perspective.

16. Likes chilly liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it sounds like a good "plan". Just get the pad on the paint.

Starting with a light polish and pad to get your feet wet sounds like a solid plan frankly. Once you get more comfortable maybe you will want to go after a random swirl with a more aggressive approach.

18. Likes Bri26 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast