autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hazing with Collinite wax.

I see there are many old threads on such things here, and elsewhere. Mostly about No. 845. About 48 hours after applying wax your entire car is covered in an oily haze. I discovered on my own that the best way to remove is detailing spray and elbow grease. But, I just polished and waxed the entire car...I want a few days break darn it.... But walking out of work and seeing the haze in direct sunlight was a punch in the gut. I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it after getting home. So, I wiped the entire car down again two days in a row. I am mentally prepared to deal with it again tomorrow based on what I've read. I hope the "sweating" stops soon. I suppose this is one negative side effect of jumping off the silica bandwagon, haha. May jump right back on again... That Jescar Ultra Lock Plus is looking pretty good(and forgiving) right now. I suspect that since I used the machine instead of hand applicator this time I used too much. That's my assumption anyways. Last time I used 915(or any other wax of theirs) I applied by hand and never had issues with "sweating".

Saturday morning I hope to wash the car with Touchless and Reset. Aggressive for a waxed car, I know, but I want that sweating to stop. If removing the No. 915 or harming it must happen in the process. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hazing with Collinite wax.

The sweating is almost a sure sign it was applied too heavy.

I always applied it with a machine, but actually found it helped me apply it a lot more evenly and thinner. By hand I always got it too thick. Even with a machine, I'd still mess it up in a few areas.

I don't remember ever having the entire vehicle haze up, but in the summer it wasn't uncommon for me to be chasing the hazy patches for a couple weeks. A quick, light, QD wipe of the area or a hand wash normally removed the hazing.

845 is the only wax/sealant I've ever used that would sweat. To be honest I jumped from it straight to coatings many years ago and never looked back. I have used an SiO2 sealant a couple times in special circumstances and liked it, though not enough for me to leave coatings.

I used 845 for a several years and the bottle is still in my cabinet. It's kind of like a childhood ex-girlfriend. You see it and recall some good memories, but then you also remember why they are your ex and not the person you ended up marrying.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes PouncingPanzer, PaulMys, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your going to Touchless as in Touchless car wash?

Sounds like you applied too thick. You could wash the car using only water to remove the haze. I also wouldn't apply an topped for at least a couple of months
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

5. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Sounds like you applied too thick. You could wash the car using only water to remove the haze. I also wouldn't apply an topped for at least a couple of months
    Bilt Hamber Touchless*

Yea I plan to let it do it's thing for awhile before topping.

2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

7. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The sweating is almost a sure sign it was applied too heavy.

I always applied it with a machine, but actually found it helped me apply it a lot more evenly and thinner. By hand I always got it too thick. Even with a machine, I'd still mess it up in a few areas.

I don't remember ever having the entire vehicle haze up, but in the summer it wasn't uncommon for me to be chasing the hazy patches for a couple weeks. A quick, light, QD wipe of the area or a hand wash normally removed the hazing.

845 is the only wax/sealant I've ever used that would sweat. To be honest I jumped from it straight to coatings many years ago and never looked back. I have used an SiO2 sealant a couple times in special circumstances and liked it, though not enough for me to leave coatings.

I used 845 for a several years and the bottle is still in my cabinet. It's kind of like a childhood ex-girlfriend. You see it and recall some good memories, but then you also remember why they are your ex and not the person you ended up marrying.
    It was hot out and wax was much softer than usual, contributing to the heavy application.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed about applying it too heavily.

But another huge factor in applying 845 successfully is letting it completely dry to a haze.

I'm not sure where some of the myths about 845 started, but I remember one being something like: "It is very hard to remove if left on too long."

That is true with 476s paste, but not at all true of 845. I will actually apply it (super thin) to my entire truck, wait up to an hour, and then remove it.

Funny story about that...... On I think my second time using 845, I got up early in the morning and did a "marathon detail". Wash, clay, polish, trim, wheels, tires, and wax. (I don't do that anymore.... Lol)

But I was running out of daylight as I was removing the 845, and completely missed my entire tailgate.

When I noticed it the next morning, I was horrified! After reading all of the [mis]information about 845, I was sure I'd need nothing short of a jackhammer to get this stuff off.

Armed with many towels and some QD, I went out prepared for a fight. Long story short..... It took ONE towel and about ONE minute to remove it. I was happily shocked.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer, oneheadlite, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    It was hot out and wax was much softer than usual, contributing to the heavy application.
    I thought many ppl would actually heat it up to liquefy it before using.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's unbelievable how little of 845 is needed to wax an entire vehicle.

Next time I'll put the 845 bottle on a scale, before & after and provide that information.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

14. Likes PaulMys, PouncingPanzer, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

*Any topper

**I hate the fire tablet
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Bilt Hamber Touchless*

Yea I plan to let it do it's thing for awhile before topping.

Ah, good. Was about to give you a cyber backhand

17. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast