autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car Coating (first time): CQuartz 3.0 or MOHS EVO - Overwhelmed with options!

Hello!

Over the weekend, I took possession of my 2023 Corolla in Celestite and am looking to coat it this weekend. The dealership rinsed the vehicle, but (thankfully) did not wash it: the paint is in nearly perfect condition but for a few minor scratches that appear to have been the result of removing the plastic covering used during shipping.

I made a more general post, but, after reviewing the responses, am still overwhelmed as it is my first ceramic coating endeavour. Nevertheless, I have narrowed it down to several options and am hoping for some further insight to finalize this order tomorrow.. As I am already somewhat overwhelmed with all the available options, please refrain from suggesting alternative polishes or coatings!

Option 1: CarPro Cquartz CQUK 3.0 with CarPro Essence Coating Prime with

Option 2: Gyeon Q2 Mohs EVO with Sonax Perfect Finish, CarPro Reflect, or Meguiar’s M205 (Yes, I am aware there are 3 sub-options, but to narrow it down to three took me considerable effort!)

I have LC Orange and Blue SDO pads.

Which option would you select?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Coating (first time): CQuartz 3.0 or MOHS EVO - Overwhelmed with options!

You won't like this but you will be fine with either coating. Both are great options. Both easy to work with. Mohs will be the slicker of the two if that is something you are looking for. On white you won't notice a distinct difference in terms of aestetics.

And I answered your question in the other post. You do not need a primer polish with any coating. There was a time in this detailing thing long ago when there was no such thing as a primer polish when coatings first came out. Use what you have followed by a panel wipe and you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Coating (first time): CQuartz 3.0 or MOHS EVO - Overwhelmed with options!

I've been a long time user of CQUK and have used both v 2.0 and v3.0 over the years. It's on most of the cars in my immediate family. I tried out Mohs EVO about a month ago, so my experience is limited in comparison.

Guz is right. You can't go wrong with either. CQUK is a solid, great performing coating. It looks good, is really durable, and has great water behavior. Mohs is significantly slicker to the touch, but also has great water behavior too, maybe a bit better than CQUK. Since I put the Mohs on a white vehicle, it's really hard to say if there is any real difference in appearance since white hides everything.

I found the application is where the real difference lies between the two. The flashing behavior and time to flash are totally different. Mohs flashes really quickly and it "sweats" little beads. CQUK flashes FAR slower and does the more typical "rainbow effect". I like to work with the faster flash, other people like a slower flashing coating. Overall I did find Mohs easier to remove.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to go with the MOHS EVO because of its 'sweat' effect.
    How many applicator pads do I need or will the singular one included in the kit with Cure be sufficient?

Post Thanks / Like

Option 2.

I had my mindset on UK3.0 but slickness and only needing one true coat swayed me to Mohs. I’ll be applying mine in a few weeks.

7. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bornin1992 View Post
    How many applicator pads do I need or will the singular one included in the kit with Cure be sufficient?
    Aa long as you do the coating all at once one will be fine.

For future, check out the autofiber coating saver applicators. They are the best imo. Ive never used the gyeon ones in the kit.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Aa long as you do the coating all at once one will be fine.

For future, check out the autofiber coating saver applicators. They are the best imo. Ive never used the gyeon ones in the kit.

If I remember correctly there applicators now have the backing like AF’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Thanks crack! I didnt know that. Ill still keep using the af ones though, i like that i have a little more thickness to hold onto

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I actually like the Gyeon applicator a lot better. The MF side of the applicator is a little less dense and I like the size better - it's a little smaller.

This preference might be due to me cutting my teeth in coatings while using the suede swatches and a foam block, but the Gyeon applicator is the first MF applicator that seemed natural to me.

The two I've used so far do. Really like them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bornin1992 View Post
    The one that is included is all you need.

That is correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast