autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for new pads for the Griots G9 in 5.5”

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    They are good stuff, but I found the ThinPro's to work a little better and held up better over time when using something like a standard HF or Porter Cable-like polisher.
    Agreed.

The thin pads are always a better choice on the PC or (original) HF machines. They are way less powerful, and it is easier for those units to churn a pad with less rotational mass.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That Grey thinpro pad might just be the most aggressive cutting pad I’ve experienced. IMO it has even more bite than a microfiber cutting pad. It amazing that it can still manage to finish out lsp ready in most cases.

4. Likes MrOneEyedBoh, dlc95 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI I seen one of the lake country guys explain awhile ago that the SDO/HDO line was designed to reduce the amount of pad options in the flat pad line. He also said you can do more with the 3 foam SDO/HDO pads than the 4 or 5 different LC ordinal foam pads - the pads have bigger cut and finish ranges. One more thing he said they are keeping the flats in there range because so many people still like them.

The message i got was that the SDO/HDO line is now there flagship line and innovative.

How many different foam pads are in the LC originals line, 6?

6. Likes MrOneEyedBoh, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    FYI I seen one of the lake country guys explain awhile ago that the SDO/HDO line was designed to reduce the amount of pad options in the flat pad line. He also said you can do more with the 3 foam SDO/HDO pads than the 4 or 5 different LC ordinal foam pads...One more thing he said they are keeping the flats in there range because so many people still like them.

The message i got was that the SDO/HDO is now there flagship line and innovative.

How many different foam pads are in the LC originals line, 6?

Funny that the sales guy from LC would say that............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes noorth, MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That Grey thinpro pad might just be the most aggressive cutting pad I’ve experienced. IMO it has even more bite than a microfiber cutting pad. It amazing that it can still manage to finish out lsp ready in most cases.
    The gray ThinPro pad scares me. Years ago when the ThinPro's first hit the market, I was given a sample bag of ThinPro pads that had one of each color. I still remember feeling the gray pad and thinking, "yikes, I hope I never have to use this!".

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    FYI I seen one of the lake country guys explain awhile ago that the SDO/HDO line was designed to reduce the amount of pad options in the flat pad line. He also said you can do more with the 3 foam SDO/HDO pads than the 4 or 5 different LC ordinal foam pads - the pads have bigger cut and finish ranges.
    I have 1~2 HDO pads, but I wouldn't use them as a replacement for the Flats or ThinPro if I still used my HF polisher. The HDO's are really thick and that's a lot of foam to move around for an old/lesser powered polisher. On my GG15 they are fine in that regard.

Their height/rigidity and flat sides also make them hard to get into tighter areas or areas with a slight contour. I typically only use it on large, flat, open surfaces.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

The gray ThinPro pad scares me. Years ago when the ThinPro's first hit the market, I was given a sample bag of ThinPro pads that had one of each color. I still remember feeling the gray pad and thinking, "yikes, I hope I never have to use this!".

I have 1~2 HDO pads, but I wouldn't use them as a replacement for the Flats or ThinPro if I still used my HF polisher. The HDO's are really thick and that's a lot of foam to move around for an old/lesser powered polisher. On my GG15 they are fine in that regard.

Their height/rigidity and flat sides also make them hard to get into tighter areas or areas with a slight contour. I typically only use it on large, flat, open surfaces.
    He has the G9 which i believe would pair very well with SDO pads. They are a little thicker but you can compress them more than thin stiff pads like the griots BOSS orange. For me at least i rather like the little extra thickness. The machine runs smoother IME.

The ability to slightly compress the SDO is why i would pick it over the rupes yellow anyday of the week. Those pads really like to skip. I actually gave my last one away to a shop in the Philippines 3 or 4 mths ago lol Brand new. That's what i think of rupes yellow lol

Also you can - you probably read this before - get the SDO's with CCS. That would be my first choice for a short throw. Big fan of non-flat pads actually.

I have yet to try my very nice looking orange shinemate diamond cut. Basically the same foam as the orange SDO in feel. But the diamond cut pad will be easier to clean and the pad is more rupees style in its taper.

I'm planning on giving my BOSS orange a run this year too - first time in 2 or 3 years. I still have 2 in good shape. I like orange pads lol

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack, MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed any difference in "smoothness" with between the Rupes and the HDO's on my GG15, but I actually found the HDO's to skip around a lot more than the Rupes. On a contoured vertical pannel like a BMW 4-series door, the HDO was really hard to control and keep flat on the surface. It's fine on a slab-sided SUV for the most part and probably the reason I've kept the pad. I only bought 1~2 to try out, so there wasn't a heavy investment on my part.

Funny how our experiences are so different.

14. Likes noorth, PaulMys, MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed any difference in "smoothness" with between the Rupes and the HDO's on my GG15, but I actually found the HDO's to skip around a lot more than the Rupes. On a contoured vertical pannel like a BMW 4-series door, the HDO was really hard to control and keep flat on the surface. It's fine on a slab-sided SUV for the most part and probably the reason I've kept the pad. I only bought 1~2 to try out, so there wasn't a heavy investment on my part.

Funny how our experiences are so different.
    Different styles i believe.

However, I don't think I made myself clear I'm referring to HDO with CCS and just the normal SDO. I don't have a regular HDO pad.

I assume your aware SDO and HDO are much different pads in of themselves. But they are the same foams.

SDO more universal for all machines and budget friendly. HDO was designed for a long throw and pricey.

16. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know all the differences between SDO and HDO, but since some the comments mentioned "SDO/HDO" I figured I could provide my thoughts on the HDO's.

I'm using a long-throw polisher and never thought about getting an SDO to compare. You're right they are pricey. Another reason why I like the Rupes better. They are closer in price to the BOSS pads, if not a bit cheaper.

18. Likes MrOneEyedBoh, noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which pad is less prone to stalling on a low power DA - Rupes yellow, LC flat or LC thin pro?

20. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast