autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"The Absorber" - the microfiber drying towel of the 80's does anyone still use it? I do.

A few months ago, I came across an old "Absorber" towel, the synthetic chamois that was all the rage in the 80's. It was all dried out and hard, but curiosity got the best of me, so I soaked it with water and it immediately returned to its old state - almost like new again. So I wondered ...

I would NEVER use it on a "detailed" and "waxed" car in good shape, that is the place for my Griots Garage PFM towel. But what about a car that was ABOUT to be detailed and needed washed & dried? So when detailing season opened up here in Ohio, I used it on all three cars I've done so far. My niece's KIA Soul, my wife's Escape and my mother in law's Edge. It still worked great, and since I was going to be using Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions 1 & Done Compound ANYWAY, if it left a slight swirl or two, would it matter?

Turns out it didn't 'mark up' any of the cars, it just worked as I remembered. For me, this was exciting, because I DON'T want to use my PFM on an undetailed car (call it a quirk). So now I have an old tool that I found, that once again has a purpose.

In addition to drying cars 'yet to be detailed,' I found another thing that it works great at. Drying buffing pads after they have been washed after use. Wring them out like normal, and place the Absorber on a clean table or bench, folded at least once and place the pad on top of the Absorber, and fold the other half of the Absorber over that pad and press down on the 'sandwich.' This will force what water is left in the pad out and the Absorber immediately soaks it up. Do this only a couple of times and the pad is nearly dry enough to use right away (you probably COULD use them right away, really).

So I started wondering if anyone else still had one and used it like this.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "The Absorber" - the microfiber drying towel of the 80's does anyone still use it? I do.

Not recently but went thru several back in the day. They were all the rage and best way to dry a vehicle. They did great at drying glass.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "The Absorber" - the microfiber drying towel of the 80's does anyone still use it? I do.

I think I burned mine.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I threw a couple out when I moved house 3 years ago, I should have kept them for drying the garage floor when I wash inside, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post

I would NEVER use it on a "detailed" and "waxed" car in good shape, that is the place for my Griots Garage PFM towel. But what about a car that was ABOUT to be detailed and needed washed & dried? So when detailing season opened up here in Ohio, I used it on all three cars I've done so far. My niece's KIA Soul, my wife's Escape and my mother in law's Edge. It still worked great, and since I was going to be using Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions 1 & Done Compound ANYWAY, if it left a slight swirl or two, would it matter?
    You make way too many apologies… These days the DIY detailer is used to plush microfiber drying towels. Alot of professional detailers are as well. But in the world of mobile detailing, using plush microfiber drying towels can be counterproductive, especially if you’re doing a high volume of cars per day because where the heck are you supposed to put a bunch of soaking wet towels if you’ve got limited space? Not to mention you can only use them once.

That being said, a smart mobile detailer uses a drying towel that can be used over and over again throughout the day. With that in mind I set out to purchase a Water Sprite not too long ago but instead I ran into a towel I bet no one on here currently uses and it happens to be real similar to the Absorber that alot of us used to use back in the days.

It’s like an Absorber but with a Waffle Weave. Wizards Water Bandit. I’ve been using it for the past month and I have absolutely no apologies to make because it flat out works. And if you happen to be a professional detailer with multiple vehicles to dry per day it’s a no brainer vs. any plush microfiber drying towel because it can be wrung out and used over and over again.

I’ll use it on any vehicle.

7. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard of wizards, but not that product.

While i had one long ago, im not a fan of using those. Just like i would not use a water blade like i did when i was a lot attendant as a kid.

I wash outside and to much debris always floating in the air off of trees and such.

BUT eldo i do see your point...a good point that i didnt think of, a mobile guy needs something thats not a mf towel to dry with.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

9. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That WIZARDS looks pretty good.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

11. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    That WIZARDS looks pretty good.
    I just wish it was larger. It’s 17”x25” but naturally you wind up folding it in half before use so you’re basically left with a 12”x17” drying towel when it’s folded in half, which is usuable, but it’s nearing that fine line that almost makes you wish it was alot larger.

But it wrings out nice. Just like an absorber.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Absorber on every car that I do. Anyone that claims this product will damage your vehicle is either very ignorant or they sell overpriced drying towels.
    The Absorber also works great in the kitchen
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

14. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think when damage occurs using these products it's because they haven't been looked after. I have a synthetic chamois that is nearly 15 years old, it has never touched a dirty surface, and has definitely never touched the ground, it's great for wicking away water from gaps. People who damage their paint using the absorber would probably damage it using anything that touches the surface.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

16. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast