autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "The Absorber" - the microfiber drying towel of the 80's does anyone still use it? I do.

I still have one and use it on wheels. It works great in that area because of the small size and I can dab the water off the wheel surfaces and it gets into the tight areas really easy. I'll also use it on the pooling water around the wiper cowling and inside the gas cap areas.

I'll never use one on a painted surface again, though. Years ago when I bought my first black car I used it as my primary drying towel. I couldn't figure out why my car was always getting so many swirls so quickly. When I switched to a soft MF drying towel, I noticed an immediate difference in paint condition. The only change for me was the drying media.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes opie, Big Dave, Danube liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "The Absorber" - the microfiber drying towel of the 80's does anyone still use it? I do.

Just bought the above Wizards absorber. Don't see the point to this thing as you can't really dry the car well. All it does is squeak along the paint and very tough to glide it over any standing water. What am I missing here?

Post Thanks / Like

"The Absorber" - the microfiber drying towel of the 80's does anyone still use it? I do.

Quote Originally Posted by 02whitetundra View Post
    Just bought the above Wizards absorber. Don't see the point to this thing as you can't really dry the car well. All it does is squeak along the paint and very tough to glide it over any standing water. What am I missing here?
    Maybe you should try using a claybar 1 day… lol. J/k.

You’re starting off with it damp and wrung out, right? I usually find starting off using it “matador” style along each of the vehicle preps it good enough to prevent the situation you’re describing. Anyone who’s used an Absorber knows it has a bit of its own learning curve as far as drying towels go.

It won’t glide across a flat panel the way a plush twisted loop microfiber drying towel does on freshly waxed paint. That’s 1 thing these type of towels will never do. But it does have its advantages, mainly being it soaks up lots of water and can be wrung out and used repeatedly. I appreciate it for what it can do and I’m ok with what it can’t do. That’s why it’s not my only drying towel.

If you still find you don’t like the way it works to dry your painted panels, maybe you can find it useful as previously mentioned as a window drying towel. I personally don’t really use it on windows because I prefer to keep it away from possibly getting soiled with dirt that’s sometimes on rubber window trim, but if you were to dedicate it for that sole purpose it would work great as a 1st step prep on windows after a wash. From there finishing off the glass with your normal window towel would be a breeze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12