autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Adams polishes...a head scratcher

Was jaggin around on the world wide web reading how different folks do decon washes on coated vehicles. Was reading a piece on adams polishes web site. Below is a cut piece from it, and ill also provide the full link below if anyone wants to read more than the exerp. This had me thinking... what the heck are they thinking! ha ha.

Let me know what yinz think about.

"Two common misconceptions are that you should never have to use a clay bar on a ceramic coated vehicle or that you cannot clay a coated vehicle at all. We disagree with these statements.

Graphene coatings can and will still build up contamination over time that needs to be removed in order for the coating to perform its best. At a minimum, we recommend claying the areas that come in high-contact with road debris - the sides of the vehicle, bumpers, and the trunk/tailgate - at least twice per year, but you may find that you need to use Fine Grade Clay more often or less often than this, depending on your driving conditions and how frequently you drive your vehicle."

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 05-29-2023 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Link

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adams polishes...a head scratcher

I think the chemical decon should be the first route Adams polishes...a head scratcherAdams polishes...a head scratcher

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I think the chemical decon should be the first route Adams polishes...a head scratcherAdams polishes...a head scratcher

I agree, i only do chemical decons. When the term decon is used for a coating that is what my mind goes to(chemical decon). I could be wrong but i thought that was what a decon ment for coatings.

Personally i would not use any type of clay on a coated vehicle unless i was ready to paint correct and recoat.

4. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done a chemical decon on my car yet because I've kept it clean through winter using Bilt-Hamber Touchless and Auto-foam for pre-washing about every other week and multiple passes during the week but I might spray some chemical decon on it soon before going through the touch-free wash Adams polishes...a head scratcher

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Against my better judgement and advice to the contrary, I clayed the horizontal panels of our PPF’d & coated (black) car a few weeks ago. Used a fine clay, plenty of clay lube and a fresh bucket of very soapy water and lots of trepidation.

Had done chemical decon and it just didn’t get the job done and the surface just felt too ‘crunchy’ for me to live with. Tried a small test spot first and it seemed to go well so ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ and away we went!

Very light on the clay, flood waters of lube and it took care of the problem with no apparent ill -effects.

Likely got in that condition as had never done a chemical decon on it in 15k miles/4 years since initial PPF/coated…too scared as was first PPF car I had.

It left a smudge here and there which cleaned up easily with a touch of tar remover. Used a paint cleanser on it afterwards and it looks as good as when it first left shop after PPF. Likely just got lucky as sometimes my ‘great ideas’ end up in “No steps forward, 20 steps back!”

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes opie, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd do the rubber mitt fake clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I'd do the rubber mitt fake clay.
    Given the somewhat fragile/precise nature of this escapade, I thought it better to use something smaller than my Nanoskin mitt or Sonax Clay Disc.

With half of a clay bar it was easier to keep it swimming in lube and to keep even pressure, albeit very light & really no more than necessary to keep the clay under my fingers. With the larger form factor of the mitt/disc there seemed to be a greater chance of catching a dry edge which would leave a mark no matter how much lube is on the surface.

Having always clayed with polishing in mind, my usual method with synthetic clay is akin to a monkey chasing a banana across a slippery, wet panel; “Know Thyself…” and avoiding that possible mayhem seemed like a good idea Adams polishes...a head scratcher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Likes opie, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've clayed a panel coated with Gloss Coat and it brought it back to life! I was preparing to polish and re-coat.

If you do clay, I'd use something very gentle. I used Megs c-2000 Fine Grade Mirror Glaze. The Optimum Ultra Clay Towel should work fine too.

12. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Son of a gun, maybe ive been mis informed ever since i started doing coatings.

Ill have to keep that in mind and maybe get me some fresh fine clay to have on hand for this scope of work. My friends truck would have been a good candidate to try it. Wish i knew then what im learning now lol

14. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I've clayed a panel coated with Gloss Coat and it brought it back to life! I was preparing to polish and re-coat.

If you do clay, I'd use something very gentle. I used Megs c-2000 Fine Grade Mirror Glaze. The Optimum Ultra Clay Towel should work fine too.
    Megs makes fine mirror glaze clay? Ive only ever seen mild or aggressive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast