autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First go - ceramic coating, experienced detailer

Thank everyone for their input !

Look like I'll start with either Gyeon Mohs EVO or CQuartz UK 3.0.

The CanCoat Evo looks tempting for ease of application.

The usual packaging is either 30ml or 50ml.

Is 30ml enough for 1 smaller car like Mitsubishi Lancer or VW Golf ?

Can I do 2 cars like this with a 50ml bottle ?!?
    Flex 3401 & PE14

2. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, is this the current model, as Australian resellers tend to sell discontinued products that are no longer available in the US ?

First go - ceramic coating, experienced detailer-gyeonq2mohsevolight-30ml_2048x2048-jpg
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

That is the current - Evo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Thank everyone for their input !

Look like I'll start with either Gyeon Mohs EVO or CQuartz UK 3.0.

The CanCoat Evo looks tempting for ease of application.

The usual packaging is either 30ml or 50ml.

Is 30ml enough for 1 smaller car like Mitsubishi Lancer or VW Golf ?

Can I do 2 cars like this with a 50ml bottle ?!?
    30 ml is typically enough for just the paint on those two of either coating. You will use about 25 ml of Cquartz UK for one car applying two layers. First timers may use the entire the 30 ml bottle as they tend to go a bit heacy.

A 50ml bottle of Mohs Evo is enough to put one layer on each and possibly coat the wheel faces. If you are planning to apply two layers of Mohs you will probably need another bottle (30 ml).

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Also, is this the current model, as Australian resellers tend to sell discontinued products that are no longer available in the US ?

First go - ceramic coating, experienced detailer-gyeonq2mohsevolight-30ml_2048x2048-jpg
    Yes

6. Likes DFB, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    30 ml is typically enough for just the paint on those two of either coating. You will use about 25 ml of Cquartz UK for one car applying two layers. First timers may use the entire the 30 ml bottle as they tend to go a bit heacy.

A 50ml bottle of Mohs Evo is enough to put one layer on each and possibly coat the wheel faces. If you are planning to apply two layers of Mohs you will probably need another bottle (30 ml).

Yes

Thanks, the logical question is if I need 2 coats on each car, but the answer is likely the same as it should be with 845 - one coat is enough, but 2 coats wouldn't hurt at all.

Or maybe there is difference there and 2 coats of ceramic coating would improve durability drastically ?!?
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Some additional data points for how far the coatings will go. All of these are 1 coat applications since I've never really felt the need to do two. The last time I used CQUK I was able to do a BMW 4 Series and had 15mL of a 30mL bottle left and when doing a Toyota Highlander (mid-size SUV) and used about 25mL of a 50mL bottle. I just coated our Acura MDX a couple weeks ago with Mohs EVO and I had about 15mL of a 50mL bottle left over. A Subaru BRZ used about 15mL of Pure EVO.

I've done a lot of coatings over the years, but mostly CarPro's products like CQUK and TiO2. They tend to go on a little thinner in my experience whereas the Gyeon products seem to apply a little thicker.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found myself to be a CarPro guy, so I'll be using UK3.0.

11. Likes Danube liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Some additional data points for how far the coatings will go. All of these are 1 coat applications since I've never really felt the need to do two. The last time I used CQUK I was able to do a BMW 4 Series and had 15mL of a 30mL bottle left and when doing a Toyota Highlander (mid-size SUV) and used about 25mL of a 50mL bottle. I just coated our Acura MDX a couple weeks ago with Mohs EVO and I had about 15mL of a 50mL bottle left over. A Subaru BRZ used about 15mL of Pure EVO.

I've done a lot of coatings over the years, but mostly CarPro's products like CQUK and TiO2. They tend to go on a little thinner in my experience whereas the Gyeon products seem to apply a little thicker.
    This is great to know, especially for novice ppl in the ceramic coating field.

Speaking of CQUK 3.0 I hope this is the version you are referring to.

First go - ceramic coating, experienced detailer-ppl1-jpg
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

@Danube

Yes
    @AMDanube

Mike is right about first time users using more. I had a 50mil bottle of Mohs EVO on my first coat and did 2 coats on our Honda Civic. After doing wheel faces I used every drop. I ended up with a high spot on the hood so that will have to be fixed and had to order another 30mil bottle. He told me he would have did one coat and called it a day. If I had to do it again I would only do one coat and I would have had enough to fix anything I missed or messed up. I chalked it up to inexperience. Don't let that deter you though. Mohs EVO is a very easy coating to apply and wipe off. The sweating effect is very obvious. Just have plenty of MF towels. I used The Rag Company Pearl to level and wipe off.

He has great videos on YT (Mike G) on coatings and how they react. His tip of numbering his towel sides was one of the best things I did to keep up with which side I was using for leveling and final wipe.

14. Likes Danube, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    @AMDanube

Mike is right about first time users using more. I had a 50mil bottle of Mohs EVO on my first coat and did 2 coats on our Honda Civic. After doing wheel faces I used every drop. I ended up with a high spot on the hood so that will have to be fixed and had to order another 30mil bottle. He told me he would have did one coat and called it a day. If I had to do it again I would only do one coat and I would have had enough to fix anything I missed or messed up. I chalked it up to inexperience. Don't let that deter you though. Mohs EVO is a very easy coating to apply and wipe off. The sweating effect is very obvious. Just have plenty of MF towels. I used The Rag Company Pearl to level and wipe off.

He has great videos on YT (Mike G) on coatings and how they react. His tip of numbering his towel sides was one of the best things I did to keep up with which side I was using for leveling and final wipe.
    I'm leaning towards one coat only, to start with my first car.

The first time is always like that I guess, I'll need to get my things right to make it a success.

Another thought is that I would feel more comfortable if I coat panel by panel ..or maybe 2 at once!?

Apart from needing numerous applicators would you recommend doing so ?!? Lets say hood and roof today, trunk and back doors tomorrow, etc.

What do you think ?!?
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast