autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting the annual polish in while on baby's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    Any light protection in the meantime until you apply the wax? I keep hearing about people now doing their polish wipe with something that had a little protection in it and wonder if that's an idea that'll quickly strip before you do the wax job?

Thanks to this place I'm now petrified of running at all without protection.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
    Not needed. I completed the hood from start to finish and didn't spend any efforts on other panels that may go to waste while time elapses. The 476 will keep the panel protected while I get the rest of the car done. Then once all panels have seen a pad and polish I will go around the car and in one sitting put another coat of something on. Either 915 or 845. That will get me to fall no problem.

I told my wife yesterday I can't go to bed with the hood un-waxed. I leave for work at 0400 and do not have time(or mental capacity) to finish the job before driving the car to work 16 miles away. The goal is to do the trunk lid today but due to the dogs vet appointment time is short today. Doubtful at this time the trunk will get done. Rain in the forecast tomorrow but that is fine. I can decon wash a panel outside in the rain that is no problem.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

2. Likes Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah. I misunderstood. You used the 476 now. Got it! Getting the annual polish in while on baby's time.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

4. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Truck lid and mirrors done yesterday. Was short on time compared to the day before and unless I drink coffee later may be short on time today as well. Roof is next and then before continuing I will need to wash the pads. I am hoping this weekend will allow me to sneak away enough to make a meaningful dent in the procedure. I am off Monday as my wife returns to work and part of my mothers day gift to her is playing babysitter all day Monday so she can get back to the grind without worrying about anything.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

6. Likes Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I do my cars like that actually. It's more enjoyable.

Rinseless is your friend.
    Thank you for this very good tip. It seems so obvious now that rinseless would be ideal for this process. I cleaned the trunk lid and mirror caps this way yesterday and 10 minutes later I was nearly done polishing already. BAM!

While I think the decon wash process is effective and does serve a purpose, at the end of the day a claybar and polisher will remove anything on the panel. Even if it means spending a few more minutes making an additional pass that is still faster than a decon wash.

8. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless wash products really make things quicker and simpler once you get down a decent process. For me at least. You can get very creative using rinseless products.

I done it with my wife's car a while back. No hose however. Just rinseless wash, clay and 1 step polish with sonax perfect finish with orange HDO/CCS. Topped with a spray wax. Looked great. It's all i had to work with in the Philippines.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Thank you for this very good tip. It seems so obvious now that rinseless would be ideal for this process. I cleaned the trunk lid and mirror caps this way yesterday and 10 minutes later I was nearly done polishing already. BAM!

While I think the decon wash process is effective and does serve a purpose, at the end of the day a claybar and polisher will remove anything on the panel. Even if it means spending a few more minutes making an additional pass that is still faster than a decon wash.
    I play around with chemical decons but my main focus has always been the clay bar and a good 1 step.

Another great thing about rinseless is the possible trouble you have getting water all over your pads is greatly reduced. No forced air needed!

I have to try dipping the pad in a rinseless and spin dry to clean it up...

Post Thanks / Like

Top half of the car is done! Went down to the bodyline that is parallel with my door handles all the way around. Just cleaned the rest of the car off with ONR after I had reached this "checkpoint" as I called it. Long weekend...in the garage here and there constantly getting pulled away with the baby or other chores. Life it good though.... I managed to pull the car out and wash the wheels in the final minutes of daylight last night.

Despite only having polished and waxed panels on the upper half, she already got a compliment at work this morning from someone who parks out in BFE like me. Compliments help make the effort worth it

Hopefully time and life allow me to finish this project up in the coming week and weekend. We shall see....gonna take a couple days break from it though. Need to get other stuff done.

12. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Top half of the car is done! Went down to the bodyline that is parallel with my door handles all the way around. Just cleaned the rest of the car off with ONR after I had reached this "checkpoint" as I called it. Long weekend...in the garage here and there constantly getting pulled away with the baby or other chores. Life it good though.... I managed to pull the car out and wash the wheels in the final minutes of daylight last night.

Despite only having polished and waxed panels on the upper half, she already got a compliment at work this morning from someone who parks out in BFE like me. Compliments help make the effort worth it

Hopefully time and life allow me to finish this project up in the coming week and weekend. We shall see....gonna take a couple days break from it though. Need to get other stuff done.
    Yeah you don't need to go to 10 on the effort scale all the time to make a nice turnaround on cars.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Yeah you don't need to go to 10 on the effort scale all the time to make a nice turnaround on cars.
    Oh hell no.

I think guys see these videos here on AGO, or on YT and have it their minds that they have to get up at 6am and start grinding until 4pm to knock out an entire car or truck.

I have done this, and quite frankly..... It sucks.

You can always do 1 or 2 panels at a time over the course of a week or two (or three) and have the results you are aiming for.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Move crib to garage
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

18. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast