autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant get gear oil smell out of my floormats/carpet

Hi all,

A while back I bought some gear oil for my truck.It was in its packaging not opened, but i guess there was some on the outside of the package (or it leaked) because a small ammount got into my carpeted floor mat, and i suspect a smaller amount into the carpet. I tried everything i know to remove the smell. But it persists. I took the floor mat out, sprayed it with extra strength 3d carpet cleaner solution (cut the dilution ratio), hit it with the drill brush, used my extra and it made 0 difference. Tried 2 more times. No dice. I filled my garden sprayer i use for larger jobs, and absolutely saturated the mat with carpet solution, ran the drill brush (which i cleaned between each use). Sprayed it with the water hose until no more suds and STILL smells the same. I tried some ZEP de greaser i had laying around which also failed. Any tips, product recommendations etc? Im willing to replace the mat, but id like to know how to deal with this when its in the carpet as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cant get gear oil smell out of my floormats/carpet

Good luck... I know of nothing that will remove the gear oil smell completely. That stuff is nasty.

The best suggestion I could give is to saturate the area with non-diluted laundry detergent (Tide) and let it dwell for a while before thoroughly rinsing away.

Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely a small ammount in the carpet, but its minor.I am going to spray some degreaser on the capert and use my extractor. Hopefully that will be enough for that. The floor mat... I filled a 5 gallon bucket with hot water. Rolled the mat up and put it in. I added Dish detergent, laundry detergent, and APC to the mix. If that doesnt remove it,the mat is going in the trash and the truck gets weather tecs

Post Thanks / Like

Once you do the degreaser and extractor and the carpet dries put a baking soda box under the seat. (some come in a nylon sock so will not spill) The baking soda will remove the smell. I have heard charcoal will work. put on some tinfoil and leave overnight. Good luck