autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Classic Car Detailing Tips

A friend asked me to detail his air-cooled Porsche 964. The car has been repainted. I have never detailed a classic car before, so I am a little nervous for this job.

What things should I be more cautious of in these kinds of cars?
    can I treat the car the same way I do modern cars?
    Also, is it safe to detail the engine with water? Can I clean the 30+ year old interior leather and upholstery with megs APC?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Classic Car Detailing Tips

How was it repainted? Should also get a paint depth gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I make it a practice to always find out the history of the car / finish . No reason to be nervous though.
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st rule whenever I detail a classic car is if you’re going to get it wet, make sure to dry it asap, and that means bone dry as much as possible. Use your blow dryer to dry the nooks & crannies while at the same time being mindful of what you’re doing because some of the oddball parts like exterior mirrors can be kinda loose on old cars so you gotta be careful sometimes.

Dry behind chrome & moldings. But for the most part they’re sort of easy to do.

My old Godfather [RIP] used to be 1 of founding members of a famous car club here in Los Angeles. He owned several cars similar to that 50’s Chevy^
    His cars were perfect and he wouldn’t let anyone touch them. But there was 1 time that I guess he had no other choice because it was a bunch of high school cheerleaders having a carwash to raise money for something that he was obligated to donate to. He didn’t trust what they were using so he told them to only use plain water and no soap. Highly questionable decision looking back… Just goes to show how long ago that was and how times have changed. Lol. I wish he was still around because he was a true car guy.

I detailed this 1973 Porsche a while back. I used Megs APC to clean the interior without issue. Just go easy, don’t go busting out the steamer on that 50yr. old vinyl. Lol.

If it’s a re paint, odds are it’ll have more paint than if it were the original paint because they usually use more paint than originally came from the factory. There’s a chance it might be soft, which will provide you with some gained experience once you’re done with it.Need Classic Car Detailing Tips

As far as getting the engine wet? I don’t like getting any engines wet, so I can’t comment on that part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My 1st rule whenever I detail a classic car is if you’re going to get it wet, make sure to dry it asap, and that means bone dry as much as possible. Use your blow dryer to dry the nooks & crannies while at the same time being mindful of what you’re doing because some of the oddball parts like exterior mirrors can be kinda loose on old cars so you gotta be careful sometimes.

Dry behind chrome & moldings. But for the most part they’re sort of easy to do.

My old Godfather [RIP] used to be 1 of founding members of a famous car club here in Los Angeles. He owned several cars similar to that 50’s Chevy^
    His cars were perfect and he wouldn’t let anyone touch them. But there was 1 time that I guess he had no other choice because it was a bunch of high school cheerleaders having a carwash to raise money for something that he was obligated to donate to. He didn’t trust what they were using so he told them to only use plain water and no soap. Highly questionable decision looking back… Just goes to show how long ago that was and how times have changed. Lol. I wish he was still around because he was a true car guy.

I detailed this 1973 Porsche a while back. I used Megs APC to clean the interior without issue. Just go easy, don’t go busting out the steamer on that 50yr. old vinyl. Lol.

If it’s a re paint, odds are it’ll have more paint than if it were the original paint because they usually use more paint than originally came from the factory. There’s a chance it might be soft, which will provide you with some gained experience once you’re done with it.Need Classic Car Detailing Tips

As far as getting the engine wet? I don’t like getting any engines wet, so I can’t comment on that part.
    Cool story. What did you spray on the black hood? Looks like 3d yellow degreaser lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Cool story. What did you spray on the black hood? Looks like 3d yellow degreaser lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    DUB Wheel Cleaner for iron decon.