autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3D Graphene Coating - Water Behavior

3D Graphene Dance 2 - YouTube

From the Chemists at 3D

940 Graphene Infused Ceramic Coating Plus
    940Graphene Infused Ceramic Coating Plus is an improved version of our 935 Ceramic Coating. This innovative coating creates chemical bonds which connect primarily to hard substrates including clearcoat paint systems while remaining flexible. It forms covalent bonds with the surface being treated as well as with itself creating a strong, protective layer of protection.

To improve the resistance and durability, the coating is reinforced by monolayer platelets of graphene that create an even stronger matrix for protection. This coating is not only hydrophobic, but also oleophobic which means that it doesn’t like oils or rejects oils making it the perfect protection against a wider spectrum of contaminants.

Field Tests
    940 has a beading effect with a higher contact angle (above 110 degrees) compared to our 935-ceramic coating.

Stress Tests
    We applied a strong alkaline degreaser, acetone, 99% IPA, and an acidic wheel cleaner, Wheel Brite to a 940 coated car and it maintained excellent water beading characteristics and also looked just as when it was first applied."
    [/I][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D Graphene Coating - Water Behavior

I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews on 3D's new Graphene Coating, their other coating got so-so reviews. I'm thinking about using it on my wife's new car...this would be my first adventure into a "real" coating and not the spray-on coatings. I'm a Mike Phillips follower...not a blind follower but a dedicated follower.

JF

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They promised amazing things with their ceramic and it was a let down in every category for a coating. Good luck to them with their graphene version.

For $90 something dollars for 30 ml there are better options. I’ll take UK 3.0 over 3D any day of the week.

From a Graphene perspective I’ll take Adams, McKee’s or DP GR4.

5. Likes ollever, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    They promised amazing things with their ceramic and it was a let down in every category for a coating. Good luck to them with their graphene version.
    I don’t know what manufacturers can promise with a coating besides durable protection and water sheeting capabilities. They either work or they don’t.

For me what sells a coating is the application/removal ease of use.

I am very careful when selling a coating package to a customer to not promise them what the internet promises. This rating of coatings’ lifespan (4yr, 6yr, etc) is a road I don’t go down with folks when explaining benefits of coatings. I don’t know how manufacturers get away with that. Too many variables that could cause ‘premature’ failure.

I say ‘if you take care of the coating it will take care of you’.

3D makes a great coating. I haven’t tried the graphene version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    I don’t know what manufacturers can promise with a coating besides durable protection and water sheeting capabilities. They either work or they don’t.

For me what sells a coating is the application/removal ease of use.

I am very careful when selling a coating package to a customer to not promise them what the internet promises. This rating of coatings’ lifespan (4yr, 6yr, etc) is a road I don’t go down with folks when explaining benefits of coatings. I don’t know how manufacturers get away with that. Too many variables that could cause ‘premature’ failure.

I say ‘if you take care of the coating it will take care of you’.

3D makes a great coating. I haven’t tried the graphene version.

I agree with the selling of a coating to a customer. Best to educate them.

Based on my experience the 3D ceramic coating is not great. It falls short to the many other coatings I have used. A few of my subscribers have also commented on how the 3D coating was not great as well as another local Autogeek member near me. If it works for you then continue to use it. But I can not recommend it as a great option as there are many more that are much better. I can not speak to the graphene version but it is one that I will not be testing.

The good thing is these days many coatings are user friendly.

9. Likes evo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In what ways does it fall short? Not arguing, honestly wondering. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for Guz and the issues with the 3D coating, but I've found not all coatings are equal.

I've used a couple with noticeable differences in how tightly they bead water and how quickly it sheets off. Some will start to looks their gloss at the 18 month point, while others will still look great at 36 months. Some seem to be impenetrable to things like bug guts and grime; i.e. they wipe off effortlessly, while others take much more effort to remove the same messes.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Falls short in durability, self cleaning and hydrophobic behavior. I agree with the ease of use.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious how the new Graphene is. Hopefully better than the original.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I've used a couple with noticeable differences in how tightly they bead water and how quickly it sheets off. Some will start to looks their gloss at the 18 month point, while others will still look great at 36 months. Some seem to be impenetrable to things like bug guts and grime; i.e. they wipe off effortlessly, while others take much more effort to remove the same messes.
    To add, some tend to dust more easily. I had about 4 coatings on a test hood. Stuck the hood in the garage and came back to it a few weeks later. Some sections had obviously more dust than others.

true too in real world, daily driven environment. I scrapped the test project and the notes as well, so i can't tell you which coatings were better in this regard

15. Likes Desertnate liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast