autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can microfiber go bad?

OK, some of my detailing microfiber towels are 8-10 years old. I am noticing some weird haze and small lines left on my cars. Could it be the towels get old and perhaps
    cause damage?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can microfiber go bad?

Not really. Might be the way that your washing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be chemicals (sealant, coating, etc) that have hardened in them over the years. Could be heat damage from drying. If they’ve been used extensively might it be that there’s a worm spot. I’d try a combination of soaking in APC and a wash in rags to riches to see if they seem better.

4. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If your just looking for an excuse to buy new, then yes your old ones are spent

6. Likes Lance Mark, DFB, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can it go bad from age alone? Like having a shelf life? I don't think so.

There are probably a million and one ways you could destroy a microfiber towel with usage and improper care, but I don't think age has anything to do with it.

As for damage from drying heat, that seems to always come up in microfiber discussions, but I don't think that plays any role either. Check out this thread that has some discussion on that, and specifically post #39 where I did an experiment on the effects of heat on microfiber... What's your MF towel washing routine?

Post Thanks / Like

Recently started having to use a lint roller on my older plush towels before use, I am getting by with that. They were leaving lint and like yours approaching the 8 year mark.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

9. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Read on ADam’s site that when the seem to not be as absorbent to actually boil them. It speaks to how your towels are reacting so might as well try it.

From their website:

Over time your microfiber may become contaminated past the point it can be completely cleaned using traditional methods. Typically this will present itself during use - drying towels will begin to feel less absorbent. Plush towels may lint slightly or smear products more than remove them. This is an indication that the fibers are 'full' either from residues deposited during use or things like fabric softener accidentally introduced during cleaning.

In any event, if your towels begin to loose their performance or just don't feel as good as they did new boiling is the solution, the last resort, to bring them back. NOTE: this process applies only to towels and microfiber without foam cores or backing. Never boil pads or applicators.

Fill a large cooking pot approximately 2/3rd full of water and bring to a boil
    Add approximately 1-2oz of distilled white vinegar per gallon of water and stir
    Place a few of the towels to be treated into the pot, maintaining a slow boil
    Stir continuously with a large spoon, avoid letting the towels rest against the bottom or sides for too long
    After about 60-90 seconds in the boil, remove the towels using tongs and rinse under cool water
    Wash using the "Regular Cleaning" guidelines outlined earlier and they should be as good as new.

NOTE: Should boiling fail to bring absorbancy to a towel or the towel continues to lint then you are most likely dealing with a towel at the end of its lifespan. Retire the towel to less important tasks and replace with a new one for future use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've been scratching my head on this question as well.....I know it's not product residue, etc. Just decided to behave like ##@ one day onward

Anyhow, my $$$ MF Madness ones are linting for no other reason that I can think off....
    Been using my TRC towels and after doing 3 passes of sanitize cycle washes on the lining MFM, and it still not going away, I've resorted them to the *bin* of extra detailing stuff where the old stuff goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    ... I've resorted them to the *bin* of extra detailing stuff where the old stuff goes.
    I've never tried it myself, but your towels sound like the perfect test specimens for the "boiling" method Coatingsarecrack mentioned.

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see boiling if one is concerned about past products....
    But I know the history of my towels, my cleaning regimene, etc. And it's not like all the MFM were used for XYZ. Just really a bit strange they just have decided to become lint monstera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast