autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.

Went to a regular clients today for a roof only job for a Christmas gift for her roommate. I already had a pretty good idea what shape the roof was in. She had sent pictures and described the rest of the car was fine. After a good decon I went straight to a blue Rupes foam with the 3401 and 3D ACA 510 After a small test area I felt It was definitely going to need the rotary! I first tried a Blue wool/Corse w/same compound. And it didn't produce as good of results as the BEAST! HUM..... OK I then went for the old school wool w/same compound. Still not the results I got from the Beast! Now I am really DUMBFOUNDED!!!! So I went back to the BEAST and the blue Ruped pad and just finished off with very nice results. But WTH I even laid into it with the wool pretty good! Not just flat either! So it took 4 good long slow passes to clean it up! I was hoping the rotary (1 good pass) and finish up with the 3401.

I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.-before-best-jpgI'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.-before-best2-jpg
    I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.-before-jpgI'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.-after1-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.-before3-jpg   I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.-after-jpg   I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.-leftright-jpg  

2. Likes dlc95, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.

Very interesting.

Sometimes these things happen.

I consistently out cut the 3401 with my Porter Cable. The only reason I could come up with was my familiarity with it. That's for heavy correction though. The 3401 works great for me with one steps or cleaner wax jobs - even though I typically use the 7424xp or the Rupes Duetto.

How did you like that blue pad with the 3D?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. Your already getting pro results

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Very interesting.

I consistently out cut the 3401 with my Porter Cable. The only reason I could come up with was my familiarity with it. That's for heavy correction though. The 3401 works great for me with one steps or cleaner wax jobs - even though I typically use the 7424xp or the Rupes Duetto.

That Pad is a work horse. I'm pretty stingy with my HDO CCS Blue's But I tried 205/Cuttmax and Fast correcting cream and the ACA 510 was the strongest musket
    But I'm almost embarrassed to say how long it took. 3.5 hours but that included decon/Bilt H. then Slick N Slide foam C. and wipe down dusting a bit. She gave me a nice 50% tip though.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    That Pad is a work horse. I'm pretty stingy with my HDO CCS Blue's But I tried 205/Cuttmax and Fast correcting cream and the ACA 510 was the strongest musket
    That's very nice of you to say

8. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But I'm almost embarrassed to say how long it took. 3.5 hours but that included decon/Bilt H. then Slick N Slide foam C. and wipe down dusting a bit. She gave me a nice 50% tip though.
    I was VERY impressed with how fast the DA Coarse with the blue coarse rupes wool pad leveled the paint. I was also impressed with the amount of dust it produced - would have been perfect if that's what I was going after - dust!

But my muskets of choice are indeed the 3D offerings. As of today it's the ACA500. I do plan on picking up the Rupes pads again at some point, but this time I'm going to use them with my 3D abrasives.

I don't know why I didn't do that before...

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I was VERY impressed with how fast the DA Coarse with the blue coarse rupes wool pad leveled the paint. I was also impressed with the amount of dust it produced - would have been perfect if that's what I was going after - dust!

But my muskets of choice are indeed the 3D offerings. As of today it's the ACA500. I do plan on picking up the Rupes pads again at some point, but this time I'm going to use them with my 3D abrasives.

I don't know why I didn't do that before...
    Yea I'm just fortunate you guy's all steered me with the GOODS! I'm almost out of 3D One 16oz and will most likely grab a gallon. As for the Cuttmax and 205 I'm sure they will have there day. Just not on such a brutal job! Only one I didn't grab was the Menzerna 400.

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I'm just fortunate you guy's all steered me with the GOODS! I'm almost out of 3D One 16oz and will most likely grab a gallon. As for the Cuttmax and 205 I'm sure they will have there day. Just not on such a brutal job! Only one I didn't grab was the Menzerna 400.
    If you already have the Cutmax, you can skip the Menzerna 400. I liked the sonax Ultimate Cut and Cut & Finish more than I liked the Menzerna.

The 400 has a very strong solvent that gives me a really bad headache. That is the main reason I tend to use 3D and Optimum polishes and compounds.

The 3D ONE covers so many bases for me though. I find it fun to use. Makes me look forward to going to work!

13. Likes SameGuy, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you already have the Cutmax, you can skip the Menzerna 400. I liked the sonax Ultimate Cut and Cut & Finish more than I liked the Menzerna.

The 400 has a very strong solvent that gives me a really bad headache. That is the main reason I tend to use 3D and Optimum polishes and compounds.

The 3D ONE covers so many bases for me though. I find it fun to use. Makes me look forward to going to work!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the glowing review, I’m sold. FG400 has long been my go-to first step for moderate to heavy correction, and yes, the VOCs are… noticeable . I’ve used Speed a few times for quickie once-and-dones, but it never caught my attention like D151 Reconditioning Cream did a decade ago, or — even more strikingly — the DAMF system on a PC did after years of cursing the “old ways.”
    Francesco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast