autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NAME A FEW OF YOUR MOST COVETED TOOLS OF THE TRADE.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    Are you saying conventional random orbit is what you prefer over forced? I was pretty sure you were referring to forced and then you brought up the Duetto. I thought it was a Random and not forced? Correct me as I'm sure I'm misunderstanding this.I was also curious what Jascar you like for a comparable to 3D one or cutmax. Those have been my main 2 I use mostly and ACA 510 for a bit stronger compound! I also have Merdenza 400. I would like to try the Jescar Line up! Also hear allot about the Ultra lock + Thanks Dic
    No prob!

I was referring to the random orbital. I was just putting out there thatbthe orbit in tools like the Rupes Duetto, Porter Cable 7424, etc - the orbit is gear driven in those tools. A lot of us either forget, or don't realize this. I feel it might make a difference in perception of how these tools are used. This gives the potential for a lot of motion when actively utilizing the orbit, instead of being so focused on the rotation.

I say that after using my PC like a Jr rotary for years. A slight technique change and I'm using these tools like a sander - which is what they actually are.

It's been said for years that when the PC stalls, the pad just jiggles or vibrates over the paint, but I wouldn't the fastest, gear driven part of that motion over a vulnerable edge any more than I would a rotary. In the past with those huge 6" and 7" Pads people used to use, sure, but with today's advanced abrasives and pads designed to rapidly remove paint, it's wise to be wary.

I use Jescar Medium where I would otherwise use 3D ONE same with Meguiar's M86 So1o. But the 3D and Jescar have a more refined user experience for me. Again, I'll have to test again the M86. Last time I used it, it was on a Flex 3401 and green Hex Logics. Got some dust, but I don't think I'd have that issue today. Actually, M205 on a heavier pad can also compete with 3D ONE and Jescar Medium.

The competitive cutting product to Sonax's Cutmax is Jescar Correcting Compound. The Micro Polish from Jescar is also an outstanding finisher. I haven't used it with a heavier pad yet though. Often times the Medium will be all I need.

I still need to try the ACA510, and the Jescar Heavy. I also still use Menzerna FG400, PF2500, and SF4000 once in a while - my old stock of 16oz bottles.

Ultra Lock +... It's a really nice sealant. It may dethrone my old favorite, Duragloss 111. It's super slick and super glossy. I used it on a client's vehicle not long ago and WOW did it deliver. Later today I'll prep a panel on my car and apply some UL+ to see how it handles the winter. Opti-Seal is cruising right through the salt we had already - no problems at all.

2. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing post DFB. Thank you!

4. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First and formost most important tools of the trade...mike phillips and all yinz folks on here. My detailing skill level and knowledge would have never grown so rapidly if i had not found this place almost two years ago. So thanks to all.

Its hard to pick just a couple things that stand out as there are many steps to the process of detailing and or paint correction. So imo there are my must haves.

Washing- Recently ONR for rinseless. Truely a beautiful process, one i wish i would have know of years ago. Bilt hamber touchless for prewash. The rag company gauntlet drying towels.

Wheels- 3d yellow degreaser, speedmaster wheel brush, wheel woolies boars hair brush

Paint correction- flex supa beast, lc force pads, 3D line of abrasives. For me these changed how quickly and the level at which im able to remove defects. 3D microfiber towels are actually pretty decent and good price imo.

Interior- adams interior detailer, leatherique rejuvinator oil/prestine clean. 3D orange degreaser

I suppose this list would be my go to starter pack if i were to have to start from scratch.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6. Likes CleanIT, dlc95, John U, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    First and formost most important tools of the trade...mike phillips and all yinz folks on here. My detailing skill level and knowledge would have never grown so rapidly if i had not found this place almost two years ago. So thanks to all.

Its hard to pick just a couple things that stand out as there are many steps to the process of detailing and or paint correction. So imo there are my must haves.

Washing- Recently ONR for rinseless. Truely a beautiful process, one i wish i would have know of years ago. Bilt hamber touchless for prewash. The rag company gauntlet drying towels.

Wheels- 3d yellow degreaser, speedmaster wheel brush, wheel woolies boars hair brush

Paint correction- flex supa beast, lc force pads, 3D line of abrasives. For me these changed how quickly and the level at which im able to remove defects. 3D microfiber towels are actually pretty decent and good price imo.

Interior- adams interior detailer, leatherique rejuvinator oil/prestine clean. 3D orange degreaser

I suppose this list would be my go to starter pack if i were to have to start from scratch.

I still want to try that yellow decreased.

I wasn't expecting those 3D abrasives to win me over. I was so staunchly Meguiar's that I didn't see a need. It's not that the 3D is "better" necessarily, but there was a legitimate difference in how they perform.

I was teaching one of our ppf guys how to polish his car. I set him up with the Meguiar's D300, LC HDO Microfiber cutting pads, and the Rupes 15 MK2, while I used 3D ONE on the same pads and the shop's Adam's Swirl Killer 15. I was getting just as much cut and a better finish, with a smoother operation. I had started with the same set up as he had, but the polish was more grabby, and it dusted more than I liked, which was strange because I never really experienced D300 dusting. A couple years back I tried most of the high tier polishes from Sonax, CarPro, Rupes, etc, etc. 3D and Jescar became my favorites, along with my trusty Megs arsenal. If I had to choose just one line, it would be 3D.

8. Likes PaulMys, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    electric sprayer for Rinseless. Love mine $23 cheapo TIVOLI Amazon.
    Lets hear yours?
    I have a 2L Tovia for rinseless. That was more like $35 but it's sooo much better than using a spray bottle. I usually use about the whole capacity on my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I still want to try that yellow decreased.

I wasn't expecting those 3D abrasives to win me over. I was so staunchly Meguiar's that I didn't see a need. It's not that the 3D is "better" necessarily, but there was a legitimate difference in how they perform.

I was teaching one of our ppf guys how to polish his car. I set him up with the Meguiar's D300, LC HDO Microfiber cutting pads, and the Rupes 15 MK2, while I used 3D ONE on the same pads and the shop's Adam's Swirl Killer 15. I was getting just as much cut and a better finish, with a smoother operation. I had started with the same set up as he had, but the polish was more grabby, and it dusted more than I liked, which was strange because I never really experienced D300 dusting. A couple years back I tried most of the high tier polishes from Sonax, CarPro, Rupes, etc, etc. 3D and Jescar became my favorites, along with my trusty Megs arsenal. If I had to choose just one line, it would be 3D.
    Yellow degreaser wowed me a while back when i did a detail wash job on a brown cab over pete that was repainted and i polished begining of the year, it had a pearl white frame. Well it had a good amount of grease from the driveshafts all underneath slng everwhere. I gave it two applications of 3D yellow mixed 3:1 and then hit with the pw. I was amazed how much it desolved and loosened it up and melted off. After that the frame only needed a quick wipe down with wax/grease remover to be fresh again.

D300 is a nice product and quite under rated, although i have not used it in a long while. I have been skeptial of 3D one as the idea of being pad dependant on how much correction you get has me a bit baffled lol. Your results you described has me intreagued. I will keep that in mind to try out at some point.

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    The single most coveted tool is my pressure washer setup. I have put a lot of time, money and effort into this setup. Upgrading from an old Karcher, the flow rate and ease of connections transformed my washing process.

Now running Mosmatic gun and wand, MTM foam cannon.

Next, my detailing seat. It was a revelation when I discovered seated wheel cleaning, I went from hating wheel cleaning to loving it! Combined with my bucket setup, I look forward to taking and seat and just enjoying the process.

Sticking with the wheel step, this EZ-Detail GO brush has become a favorite tool for cleaning wheel arches.

On the subject of brushes, I absolutely love the new Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush. These are slightly more pliable compared to the usual stiff bristle tire brushes, they seem to contour better. I love it so much I bought another for cleaning rubber floor mats.

My Blow Dryer, a big step up for me at the time and a crucial step when dealing with intricate front bumpers and grills. I'm trying out an EGO LB765 at the moment, but I think the dedicated blower is more efficient.

Sticking with air, my air compressor setup has become more and more useful. I added an upgraded hose reel recently, combined with new fittings. Also love the Tornador Basic blow out gun, especially on filthy carpet mats.

And lastly, my sink. This was another pivotal change in my detailing process, allowing me to fill buckets and foam cannons with ease, a workbench for measuring dilutions and filling spray bottles, and an ergonomic place to clean up brushes and other equipment after the detail. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    No prob!

I was referring to the random orbital. I was just putting out there thatbthe orbit in tools like the Rupes Duetto, Porter Cable 7424, etc - the orbit is gear driven in those tools. A lot of us either forget, or don't realize this. I feel it might make a difference in perception of how these tools are used. This gives the potential for a lot of motion when actively utilizing the orbit, instead of being so focused on the rotation.

I say that after using my PC like a Jr rotary for years. A slight technique change and I'm using these tools like a sander - which is what they actually are.

It's been said for years that when the PC stalls, the pad just jiggles or vibrates over the paint, but I wouldn't the fastest, gear driven part of that motion over a vulnerable edge any more than I would a rotary. In the past with those huge 6" and 7" Pads people used to use, sure, but with today's advanced abrasives and pads designed to rapidly remove paint, it's wise to be wary.

I use Jescar Medium where I would otherwise use 3D ONE same with Meguiar's M86 So1o. But the 3D and Jescar have a more refined user experience for me. Again, I'll have to test again the M86. Last time I used it, it was on a Flex 3401 and green Hex Logics. Got some dust, but I don't think I'd have that issue today. Actually, M205 on a heavier pad can also compete with 3D ONE and Jescar Medium.

The competitive cutting product to Sonax's Cutmax is Jescar Correcting Compound. The Micro Polish from Jescar is also an outstanding finisher. I haven't used it with a heavier pad yet though. Often times the Medium will be all I need.

I still need to try the ACA510, and the Jescar Heavy. I also still use Menzerna FG400, PF2500, and SF4000 once in a while - my old stock of 16oz bottles.

Ultra Lock +... It's a really nice sealant. It may dethrone my old favorite, Duragloss 111. It's super slick and super glossy. I used it on a client's vehicle not long ago and WOW did it deliver. Later today I'll prep a panel on my car and apply some UL+ to see how it handles the winter. Opti-Seal is cruising right through the salt we had already - no problems at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I have a 2L Tovia for rinseless. That was more like $35 but it's sooo much better than using a spray bottle. I usually use about the whole capacity on my car.
    I couldn't agree more Opie!!! The learning curve is cut in 1/10th's

13. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing this so long I probably forgot some game changers but here it goes…..

The Flex Beast 3401: I got my first one in 2008ish. I remember from when I hit the send button until my first use, I wanted to slap myself for spending so much on a polisher. When this tool came out basically there was rotary and/or the PC. After my first section pass, all my worries went away. The speed, power, swirl/hologram free results were amazing.

Carpron HydrO2. If you haven’t used this then crawl out from that rock you are hiding under. This product really made wheels, intricate areas and even protecting a whole vehicle super easy. It is still satisfying to watch it do it’s magic and take a panel from zero water beading to full on beading. Truly game changing.

3D Speed: Not many products can check all the boxes and ones that you didn’t know needed to be checked. Speed does. When Speed came out, AIOs werejust basically chemical cleaners with some form of wax left behind. Yes they made paint look better but never offered any true correction. Speed actually corrected paint rather well. Then you throw the ease of use and value in there. Speed is still one of the best AIOs on the market. It has allowed me to offer a production style package while still providing great results for my clients and making me money.
    Jim

15. Likes DFB, opie, SameGuy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I have been doing this so long I probably forgot some game changers but here it goes…..

The Flex Beast 3401: I got my first one in 2008ish. I remember from when I hit the send button until my first use, I wanted to slap myself for spending so much on a polisher. When this tool came out basically there was rotary and/or the PC. After my first section pass, all my worries went away. The speed, power, swirl/hologram free results were amazing.

Carpron HydrO2. If you haven’t used this then crawl out from that rock you are hiding under. This product really made wheels, intricate areas and even protecting a whole vehicle super easy. It is still satisfying to watch it do it’s magic and take a panel from zero water beading to full on beading. Truly game changing.

3D Speed: Not many products can check all the boxes and ones that you didn’t know needed to be checked. Speed does. When Speed came out, AIOs werejust basically chemical cleaners with some form of wax left behind. Yes they made paint look better but never offered any true correction. Speed actually corrected paint rather well. Then you throw the ease of use and value in there. Speed is still one of the best AIOs on the market. It has allowed me to offer a production style package while still providing great results for my clients and making me money.
    I'm really glad you brought up SPEED I have been so stuck using ONE that I haven't tried SPEED. I have a 16oz bottle of it and yet to try. What have you found different between the two?
    As for the 3401 it has to be the single most coveted game changer period!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Why not just go balls out and waterless wash with a single Zap Cloth like that old man in their advertisement video? Don’t even need soap, just plain water. NAME A FEW OF YOUR MOST COVETED TOOLS OF THE TRADE.lol.
    NAME A FEW OF YOUR MOST COVETED TOOLS OF THE TRADE. ass…. Can’t believe that video. I was like W…….T…….FNAME A FEW OF YOUR MOST COVETED TOOLS OF THE TRADE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast