autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's your recipe for cleaning foam and micro pads?

I've gone through a few old threads on this subject. I apologize if I'm missing anything recent. As for techniques it seems allot just use dish soap. That's what I've been doing and feel there has to be a healthier way! These dam things aren't cheep! I did stop putting them in the dryer when I first notice red threads everywhere around the Velcro backing on a new LC foam. So I just let them dry on a rack I made similar to a baking rack. I just bought a 32oz bottle of the Griot's Micro/Pad cleaner and it says to add 2oz to a load with common detergent and set on double rinse cycle. I'm also going to try using it in a spray bottle to hand clean 1st.
    I did read a really great post by a member and haven't been able to find it since. But it was really good!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your recipe for cleaning foam and micro pads?

Detail Guardz. Absolutely amazing product(s) in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I should mention my method. I do follow their instructions, spray with their cleaner, work it into the pads and I let them sit for a few minutes to let the cleaner work. Then use the Detail Guardz setup and the pads come out amazingly clean. I let the pads sit overnight to air dry then the next day with fresh warm water I do the pads again but with no cleaner. The pads come out like new, and the second cleaning with just water even gets rid of the pleasant citrus smell from the cleaner. So I figure if it cleans even the smell from the cleaner, it's cleaning out all residue.
    I will say I have only used the Detail Guardz and not any other method. When I jumped into the machine polishing end of this hobby from always being a hands guy, I jumped in deep. When I bought my machines I was researching everything. I was thinking of ways to clean the pads, because they are pricey, and came across the Detail Guardz. And I was happy to see they are fellow Canucks, over in Toronto.
    I am more then happy cleaning pads this way.
    I know Lake Country has a good setup to clean as well, but after buying my polishers I said 'no way am I getting them that close to water after paying for these'. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    I've gone through a few old threads on this subject. I apologize if I'm missing anything recent. As for techniques it seems allot just use dish soap. That's what I've been doing and feel there has to be a healthier way! These dam things aren't cheep! I did stop putting them in the dryer when I first notice red threads everywhere around the Velcro backing on a new LC foam. So I just let them dry on a rack I made similar to a baking rack. I just bought a 32oz bottle of the Griot's Micro/Pad cleaner and it says to add 2oz to a load with common detergent and set on double rinse cycle. I'm also going to try using it in a spray bottle to hand clean 1st.
    I did read a really great post by a member and haven't been able to find it since. But it was really good!
    No dish soap! Lol

That griots stuff will take your breath away...strong scent to it.

I have the lake country system 4000. Works well for cleaning many pads. I have 2 dozen or so dirty pads at the moment to clean which is to many to do by hand lol.

I use poor boys world foam pad cleaner. Amazing product.

Anyway if i clean by hand, i will spritz some poor boys onto the dry pad then massge the pad and work the cleaner into it. Gettin the pad wet with water as needed to help with working out the nastyness.

Then once clean i will rinse with water, then squeeze out exess water.

At this point i flip a box fan upside down ontop of a 5 gallon bucket and lay pads on top of box fan. Then turn on fan and let the fan draw air thru the pads to dry them. Alot faster than just laying out to dry.

I found the washer and dryer just doesnt work as well for me

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t use MF pads, but my foam pad care is easy.

1) And most importantly… Use enough pads. Never overwork them. Buying enough pads initially may seem expensive, but try replacing them every year….

2) I spray each used pad with McKee’s polishing pad cleaner immediately after use, agitatite it with a brush, and it then gets dunked into a 3D Towel Kleen mixture to soak as I finish the polishing.

3) The above pic is how my LC Orange Flats come out of the bucket after soaking.

(Notice the milky water. That is the Griot’s Correcting Cream extracted from just the soak.)

Easy…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes dlc95, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Detail Guardz. Absolutely amazing product(s) in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Guess I should mention my method. I do follow their instructions, spray with their cleaner, work it into the pads and I let them sit for a few minutes to let the cleaner work. Then use the Detail Guardz setup and the pads come out amazingly clean. I let the pads sit overnight to air dry then the next day with fresh warm water I do the pads again but with no cleaner. The pads come out like new, and the second cleaning with just water even gets rid of the pleasant citrus smell from the cleaner. So I figure if it cleans even the smell from the cleaner, it's cleaning out all residue.
    I will say I have only used the Detail Guardz and not any other method. When I jumped into the machine polishing end of this hobby from always being a hands guy, I jumped in deep. When I bought my machines I was researching everything. I was thinking of ways to clean the pads, because they are pricey, and came across the Detail Guardz. And I was happy to see they are fellow Canucks, over in Toronto.
    I am more then happy cleaning pads this way.
    I know Lake Country has a good setup to clean as well, but after buying my polishers I said 'no way am I getting them that close to water after paying for these'. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    No dish soap! Lol

That griots stuff will take your breath away...strong scent to it.

I have the lake country system 4000. Works well for cleaning many pads. I have 2 dozen or so dirty pads at the moment to clean which is to many to do by hand lol.

I use poor boys world foam pad cleaner. Amazing product.

Anyway if i clean by hand, i will spritz some poor boys onto the dry pad then massge the pad and work the cleaner into it. Gettin the pad wet with water as needed to help with working out the nastyness.

Then once clean i will rinse with water, then squeeze out exess water.

At this point i flip a box fan upside down ontop of a 5 gallon bucket and lay pads on top of box fan. Then turn on fan and let the fan draw air thru the pads to dry them. Alot faster than just laying out to dry.

I found the washer and dryer just doesnt work as well for me

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

1) And most importantly… Use enough pads. Never overwork them. Buying enough pads initially may seem expensive, but try replacing them every year….

2) I spray each used pad with McKee’s polishing pad cleaner immediately after use, agitatite it with a brush, and it then gets dunked into a 3D Towel Kleen mixture to soak as I finish the polishing.

3) The above pic is how my LC Orange Flats come out of the bucket after soaking.

(Notice the milky water. That is the Griot’s Correcting Cream extracted from just the soak.)

Easy…..

Is the Griot's any good? Also really like the 4000 and have seen it in action on the video. Also have heard really good feedback from the guys on here that have one. I just need to put one on the list. Another $180 after tax Man, detailing sure costs a bunch to have all the right gear! But defiantly comes back 20 fold. So know I'm hearing Poorboys and Detail guardz. Please gang join in!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I presoak in Lestoil cleaner. (Home Depot and hardware stores, Amazon).
    Scrub them out and wring out until clean. Toss in the washer with the towels in a 3D Towel cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

I stumbled across the Detail Guards cleaner just the other day and could not believe I'd never heard of it before.
    It looks terrific! Was thinking about the LC unit, but think I'll go with the Detail Guards instead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I presoak in Lestoil cleaner. (Home Depot and hardware stores, Amazon).
    Scrub them out and wring out until clean. Toss in the washer with the towels in a 3D Towel cleaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Easy…..

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    I stumbled across the Detail Guards cleaner just the other day and could not believe I'd never heard of it before.
    It looks terrific! Was thinking about the LC unit, but think I'll go with the Detail Guards instead
    I'm still curious if the Griot's is any good. Guess I'll find out soon. I really like the 4000!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    I'm still curious if the Griot's is any good. Guess I'll find out soon. I really like the 4000!
    The griots pad cleaner? Yes it works good. For me i couldnt take the strong scent. Poorboys was cheaper anyway if i remember correctly.

Side note, i got my lc4000 from detailed image. They have it cheaper and a 25%off sale right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast