autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A string of dead end phone calls..

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Who wears the pants in those families?

Checking with the wife is a “cop out” for making a decision. They could of just said that is more money then I want to spend. Thank you.

I was at a tire dealer once looking at mag wheels. He mentioned to run it past the wife….. I said “the wife could care less about wheels”.
    None of this is my situation but im Playing devils advocate here.

The guy might be calling to get a price b4 he brings it up to his wife so he has an actual number to say hey this is what it will cost. He might be ok with the price and not sure that she will be.

She might take care of the books, and have only a joint account...so hes gotta ask. I personally know ppl like this. Theyre terrible with money and can be careless when it comes to misplacing the bank cards, so the other person takes care of all the finances. They get given cash when they need money.

Now when you talkin about blowing 3-4 hundred or more on one thing...even if you have the money to just make the purchase and ya wont even feel that its gone, in my eyes ya have no respect for your wife if ya dont atleast tell her what your spending when it comes to bigger purchases.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    One guy asked about an ‘18 Yukon XL three kids, rail dust, dirty. He wanted int, ext, and ceramic coating. I quoted $880 sight unseen. (I know some of you are cringing at that quote). He didn’t like it.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally being an xl i woulda have went up a smige more in price but i think thats fair depending on location and such.

And yes economy is not good so most folks will be less careless with thier un nessesary purchases.

Also people might just be calling aorund to get a price quote to see what person or shop theywant to go with. But they should just be honest about it.

Ever thought aboit doing semis? Can be steady if you get a company hooked to using your services on a constant basis

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    None of this is my situation but im Playing devils advocate here.

The guy might be calling to get a price b4 he brings it up to his wife so he has an actual number to say hey this is what it will cost. He might be ok with the price and not sure that she will be.

She might take care of the books, and have only a joint account...so hes gotta ask. I personally know ppl like this. Theyre terrible with money and can be careless when it comes to misplacing the bank cards, so the other person takes care of all the finances. They get given cash when they need money.

Now when you talkin about blowing 3-4 hundred or more on one thing...even if you have the money to just make the purchase and ya wont even feel that its gone, in my eyes ya have no respect for your wife if ya dont atleast tell her what your spending when it comes to bigger purchases.

Spot on

My wife and I are both retired

Me from the State of Alaska and her from 25 years in the service

I don't need to go into details but she brings home 6.5 times more retirement income each month than I do

Her financial sense, planning, foresight, whatever you choose to call it is the reason we are able to live the way we do, travel when we want, etc etc etc

You damn right I talk to her before I spend much more than a tank of gas

Regardless of the above it is simple common courtesy to the woman I have spent the last 47+ years with

6. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A string of dead end phone calls..

I work in retail and sometimes the run it by and call back, usually that’s a sign of “more than I thought it would cost”.

I would follow up with something like:

“Great, definetly makes sense to run it past the wife. If you don’t mind me asking was it the price or the process you would want to run by her?

If it’s process first I’d like to ask…. Did I answer all off yours? If she has any questions feel free to call me.

And while your price shopping I will just be honest you’ll probably going to find cheaper and definetly more expensive.

What makes my details worth their price is….”

At that point explain your process and products you use. Give them an idea about the time that is involved and how this is a hobby for you not a job.

That same guy calls around and gets a basic quote with no info, unless your way out of his budget he’ll probably call back.

A lot of people don’t think “cleaning a car” is worth it so going through your process can make a world of difference.

He is now shopping your quality of work, product and dedication vs price.

Like most of us here do for a quality Mechanic…..

8. Thanks Eric7810 thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, chilly, Eric7810, opie, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I work in retail and sometimes the run it by and call back, usually that’s a sign of “more than I thought it would cost”.

I would follow up with something like:

“Great, definetly makes sense to run it past the wife. If you don’t mind me asking was it the price or the process you would want to run by her?

If it’s process first I’d like to ask…. Did I answer all off yours? If she has any questions feel free to call me.

And while your price shopping I will just be honest you’ll probably going to find cheaper and definetly more expensive.

What makes my details worth their price is….”

At that point explain your process and products you use. Give them an idea about the time that is involved and how this is a hobby for you not a job.

That same guy calls around and gets a basic quote with no info, unless your way out of his budget he’ll probably call back.

A lot of people don’t think “cleaning a car” is worth it so going through your process can make a world of difference.

He is now shopping your quality of work, product and dedication vs price.

Like most of us here do for a quality Mechanic…..

I learnt a long time ago that one should never belittle or devalue a person's worth in their professional life.

I was once told, by an extremely wealthy gentleman, that what I do was not rocket science and that I basically had no right to charge the prices for the work I do. Now, correct, gardening is not rocket science. But who does that person call when his rose bushes have bugs or a sprinkler is broken and he has no idea how to fix it. Well, I could say that it's not rocket science myself and that he should fix the problem himself, free of charge. I learnt that day to never question a person's worth, never belittle someone for what they do and how much they value their time.

I also work in retail part time, and I think it's extremely rude to question the price of something in a defensive, dismissive or demeaning way. That customer has absolutely no idea what it costs to run a business, how much it costs to land a product on the shelf, pay someone to put it on the shelf, pay someone to sell the product and at the end of the day make some money out of it all. Sure, ask for the price, consider it, but then be a gentleman in your response.

Two pet hates in this world -

-Those who devalue someone's worth.
    -Those who be a d.ck about price or about what someone needs to charge to make a living.

I always want to return serve with the same questioning, perhaps along the lines of "would you work for a 20% discount just because I think your price is too high for what you do". But then, I am a gentleman and don't act like a d.ck.

Post Thanks / Like

you can't control the sea or the weather, but you can steer the rudder and trim the sails

fortune is in the follow up, get their names, call them back, thank them for the opportunity, offer to answer any questions and then be direct and tell them you want their business

you will get some that you aren't getting now, if you aren't already doing that every time you get an opportunity

gotta be bold if you want the cheese, timid salesman have skinny children

11. Likes John U, chilly, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    you can't control the sea or the weather, but you can steer the rudder and trim the sails

fortune is in the follow up, get their names, call them back, thank them for the opportunity, offer to answer any questions and then be direct and tell them you want their business

you will get some that you aren't getting now, if you aren't already doing that every time you get an opportunity

gotta be bold if you want the cheese, timid salesman have skinny children
    Great “pearls of wisdom”.

13. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Lance Mark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i once had a older gentleman tell me don't judge the book by the cover

15. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12