autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country HDO/CCS

Hi folks, being a sucker for trying different pads and polishes i picked up an orange HDO/CCS pad to prep my paint for cancoat.

Anyone use them? Seems most of the long throw pads in the industry are open cell. I was drawn to the CCS because it lists smooth operation as one of its features due to the dimples(less friction) and i love my orange SDO.

One thing I noticed with the rupes yellow foam is it can skip for instance.

Looking forward to my order!!

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country HDO/CCS

Just another note: I recently found out the relatively famous detailer Yvan Lacroix highly recommends waffle pads and he's not keen on flat faced pads. CCS pads which in theory are somewhat similar to waffle pads.

Any insights into this? I know he talks about heat generation and the cooler the surface the faster the cut.

I found it very intriguing..

Post Thanks / Like

These are my new favorite pads.

Lake Country sent us a sample (blue HDC CCS) with some replacements they sent a while back.

I finally broke it out over the weekend due to extra work we had.

Where the flat HDO was jumpy and hard to control without using WAY too much polish, the HDO CCS ran so much smoother. Four pea sized drops of 3D ONE and the Duetto floated over the paint.

As far as the heat dissipation being similar to waffle?. I honestly couldn't say. No heat detection device in the shop.

These are still open cell foams, but the dimples are "collapsed" rather than closed.

I'm currently in the process of selling off all of my old Rupes and Buff and Shine pads to replace them with the HDO, and SDO CCS. I don't usually do that unless I'm over the moon with something. I am over the moon with these pads!

My understanding is that Lake Country wants to do away with their Original cutback flat and CCS lines, and just run with the HDO/SDO lines for orbital polishers. They also mentioned that the classic orange is the same as their HDO. I used to hate that foam, but I've gotten used to it it seems. Works much better as a polishing pad than a cutting pad. I think the black foam is the same or similar as well. The blue is unique though. Very dense, yet very efficient at removing defects and leaving an awesome finish. Reminds me of an updated take on the closed cell (Hydrotech) approach, with an open cell pad - very tight cell structure, but very dense, and a but compression resistant.

5. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, chilly liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Lake Country sent us a sample (blue HDC CCS) with some replacements they sent a while back.

Where the flat HDO was jumpy and hard to control without using WAY too much polish, the HDO CCS ran so much smoother. Four pea sized drops of 3D ONE and the Duetto floated over the paint.

As far as the heat dissipation being similar to waffle?. I honestly couldn't say. No heat detection device in the shop.

These are still open cell foams, but the dimples are "collapsed" rather than closed.

I'm currently in the process of selling off all of my old Rupes and Buff and Shine pads to replace them with the HDO, and SDO CCS. I don't usually do that unless I'm over the moon with something. I am over the moon with these pads!

My understanding is that Lake Country wants to do away with their Original cutback flat and CCS lines, and just run with the HDO/SDO lines for orbital polishers. They also mentioned that the classic orange is the same as their HDO. I used to hate that foam, but I've gotten used to it it seems. Works much better as a polishing pad than a cutting pad. I think the black foam is the same or similar as well. The blue is unique though. Very dense, yet very efficient at removing defects and leaving an awesome finish. Reminds me of an updated take on the closed cell (Hydrotech) approach, with an open cell pad - very tight cell structure, but very dense, and a but compression resistant.
    Awesome! I have the blue SDO pad it is a tough bugger. I was going to wash it out before my yearly polish to break it in. Likewise my yellow and white rupes pads.

The smooth operating - less skipping - characteristics of these pads is what has gained my interest.

Thanks for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

I did read your post last night and is why I've decided to go with 3 orange 5' and 1 blue.
    I have a $150 credit at TheCleanGarage and is where I filled in the blanks! I still have a 6 pack on here with a 25% off coupon. I thought it was just for the other day. So I grabbed a few items. And today I noticed there was a augpol25 coupon when I was putting a smaller order here. Almost forgot to mention I also picked up a Cancoat! Stuff sounds like it's the BIZ!

8. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt I obviously blew it by mentioning the 25% coupon. I went to check and even had doubled up on certain pads only to see my total went up $60 dollars. Now I don't have that feeling of scoring
    I sure screwed the pooch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

I am wondering about the difference in longevity of the HDO vs SDO in a home use environment as well as the "feel" difference between the two

I am assuming the HDO is a bit stiffer than the SDO but feel free to school me if I am wrong

I had already decided that I wasn't buying any more Rupes foam pads before I sold off everything although I will probably get some Rupes yellow wool cause those rock

I am trying to simplify as much as possible

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I am wondering about the difference in longevity of the HDO vs SDO in a home use environment as well as the "feel" difference between the two

I am assuming the HDO is a bit stiffer than the SDO but feel free to school me if I am wrong

I had already decided that I wasn't buying any more Rupes foam pads before I sold off everything although I will probably get some Rupes yellow wool cause those rock

I am trying to simplify as much as possible

Thanks
    For your use, the SDO should be fine.

It's difficult for me to tell a difference feel wise from the rupes/B&S Uro-Tec vs HDO.

I tried the Rupes foam pads. The white and yellow are nice, but their blue is too stiff and too porous. It allows for splatter and drying out of their compound. The blue HDO/SDO is way better for me.

12. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am drawn to the non CCS line of SDO pads simply because they start at 1" and go through any size I would ever need

That is one thing that drew me towards the B&S Uro-Tec line as well

I realize size availability doesn't count for much if the pads suck but honestly, none of the brands we are discussing suck

They just have subtle differences that might or might not make them good for our individual uses

I guess I better resolve myself to the fact I am going to need to get a few of each and see what works best for me

Thanks as always for your input

14. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I am drawn to the non CCS line of SDO pads simply because they start at 1" and go through any size I would ever need

That is one thing that drew me towards the B&S Uro-Tec line as well

I realize size availability doesn't count for much if the pads suck but honestly, none of the brands we are discussing suck

They just have subtle differences that might or might not make them good for our individual uses

I guess I better resolve myself to the fact I am going to need to get a few of each and see what works best for me

Thanks as always for your input
    It's somewhat important for pad companies to offer pads for the "nano" style polishers.

The availability of those sizes in the Uro-Tec and SDO foams is an attractive buying point.

I even like Rupes foams, but that blue coarse pad is almost identical to the old UHS grey pads, which I didn't enjoy using! The blue HDO/SDO/Uro Dark Blue are way better for me.

16. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast