autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country HDO/CCS

It really doesn't count since I had to acquire all new products and tools to get back on the horse! It would be comic though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Wow, not liking that, but that could and probably does happen with any brand

I think because I started out with a PC 7424 (not an XP) I developed a very light touch with a polisher and pads

I never overwork them and generally get a long life out of them

Also as the years go by I have cut way back on how much work I do in a given period of time, usually a couple of panels a day or even less, so I don't need 10 of every pad (notice I said NEED, not WANT)... lol

I have months until I am ready to plop down $$$ on polishers, pads, and liquids so I will just keep reading and making notes of your guys experiences

I have to say I have taken notice that Scott (Sizzle) uses Griots BOSS CC and PC on a wide variety of paints/car brands, but then he could probably make a car shine with a rock

That is the kind of simplicity I am after, assuming it works for me of course

I know enough to know it is NEVER as simple as that, and there will always be the outlier that you struggle and fight with until you have that AH HA moment

I think that is why we wake up one day and realize we have 7 different compounds and 10 different polishes we don't use regularly and we can't remember when we bought them or what we bought them for

Maybe as I get older and more forgetful I need to keep a diary of cars and the stuff that worked, assuming I take on ANY extra work after getting my new garage up and running

Sorry, didn't mean to be so long winded
    I started on a rotary and didn't need to be heavy handed with it!

I also used those cheap 6" Autozone orbitals and that helped me keep the pressure in check.

When I bought a PC in 2011, it was a huge enjoyment. It was a lot more friendly than the rotary, and a lot of fun. It was small and nimble compared to the huge and somewhat cumbersome rotary chassis.

I picked up Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish along with green, blue, and red Hex Logic pads, and got started. In all honesty I could go back to that and probably be fine. In fact I'm going to take that set up to work today and have some nostalgic fun with it. Back when that's all that I had it was simple and effective.

3. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I started on a rotary and didn't need to be heavy handed with it!

I also used those cheap 6" Autozone orbitals and that helped me keep the pressure in check.

When I bought a PC in 2011, it was a huge enjoyment. It was a lot more friendly than the rotary, and a lot of fun. It was small and nimble compared to the huge and somewhat cumbersome rotary chassis.

I picked up Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish along with green, blue, and red Hex Logic pads, and got started. In all honesty I could go back to that and probably be fine. In fact I'm going to take that set up to work today and have some nostalgic fun with it. Back when that's all that I had it was simple and effective.
    EXACTLY!!!

Doing it that way forces us to learn all the subtleties of a couple of products and how to get the best of them and use them in as wide a range of situations as possible

I was the same way at first and honestly was probably better off for it, not just money wise but skill wise

I was never a latest and greatest guy, chasing that last .01% of gloss, but I did fall into the trap of thinking a new pad or a new liquid would solve a paint correcting dilemma instead of just thinking it through and adjusting my process with what I already had on hand

Don't get me wrong, I love tinkering but at the price of pads and liquids today I think a little restraint on my part would be a good thing for my wallet and buying and LEARNING everything I can about a small core of products will make me a better detailer

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    These are my new favorite pads. .
    You ever try any of the fancy new fangled spyder pads?
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

7. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    You ever try any of the fancy new fangled spyder pads?
    Not yet. I was thinking of picking up some of those 3D pads to see how they work with their polishes. They have the 7" available with the spider cut. I could try them on the PC or the Rupes 21.

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Just some feedback: The orange CCS/HDO is very nice, i could really push down on the pad and still have good control over rotation. Rupes still have by far the best fitting pads on my 5 inch baking plate and it helps to machine wash the yellow and white foam.

And my old fav sonax perfect finish - very little dust! - brought a smile to my face.

Loving wiping down polish residue with a rag soaked in N914 too.

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering about the difference in longevity of the HDO vs SDO in a home use environment as well as the "feel" difference between the two

I am assuming the HDO is a bit stiffer than the SDO but feel free to school me if I am wrong
    The foam part of HDO / SDO is actually the same. The difference is the HDO (Heavy Duty Orbital ?) is intended to be used with the harsh movements of the large throw machines (15mm and 21mm). The SDO (Standard Duty) is intended for 8mm (short throw ?) machines. That's what the additional foam part on the HDO is for.

I'm a fan of the SDO line and was super happy when they somewhat recently came out with the smaller sizes! They work well for me, and are a great value, especially during sales. Crazy good value.

I'm looking into maybe getting more HDOs as I'm planning on using a 15mm a bit more soon. Just to change things up.

The Uro-Tech line also catches my eye due to their price point.

13. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    The foam part of HDO / SDO is actually the same. The difference is the HDO (Heavy Duty Orbital ?) is intended to be used with the harsh movements of the large throw machines (15mm and 21mm). The SDO (Standard Duty) is intended for 8mm (short throw ?) machines. That's what the additional foam part on the HDO is for.

I'm a fan of the SDO line and was super happy when they somewhat recently came out with the smaller sizes! They work well for me, and are a great value, especially during sales. Crazy good value.

I'm looking into maybe getting more HDOs as I'm planning on using a 15mm a bit more soon. Just to change things up.

The Uro-Tech line also catches my eye due to their price point.
    You definitely want HDO’s for a long throw. The SDO’s have a bit too much movement on a long throw.

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You definitely want HDO’s for a long throw. The SDO’s have a bit too much movement on a long throw.
    Where do you personally draw the long throw vs short throw dividing line?

I ask because I am considering a machine with a 12mm stroke and that number seems to really blur the lines

I think most people agree that a 9mm is short and a 15mm is long so there is a big middle ground

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You definitely want HDOÂ’s for a long throw. The SDOÂ’s have a bit too much movement on a long throw.
    Definitely! I seen the slo-mo video from LC showing that in action.

Where do you personally draw the long throw vs short throw dividing line?

I ask because I am considering a machine with a 12mm stroke and that number seems to really blur the lines

I think most people agree that a 9mm is short and a 15mm is long so there is a big middle ground
    Oh wow. 12. That's almost down the middle, slightly leaning closer to 15 than 8.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast