autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Soap Cleaning Power

Has anyone noticed a significant difference in cleaning power between different car shampoos? The focus is usually on foam and lubricity. I'm curious if some do clean much better than others. It's hard for me to say, but I think Reset does clean better than some.

P&S has a new one called Wide Open All Terrain. LOL. I'm curious how well it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soap Cleaning Power

The new P & S line looks interesting. Kind of geared to the ATV crowd. But not to say it would work great on trucks. Can't say I ever ran across a Soap that was horrible at cleaning. Again, some better than others.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran across soaps that were terrible at cleaning but it was over twenty years ago so hopefully they've changed
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

5. Likes CleanIT, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soap is soap if its ph neutral. They will all work the same. There is no *significant* standalone cleaning power. That only comes from surface agitation and high pressure water.

It isn't until you use a soap that is either more acidic or alkaline where it begins to be strong enough to penetrate grime and dirt on its own as long as you let it dwell long enough to do its job.

That P&S soap is a gimmick. If you read its description it reads just like every other car soap in the world with the exception that it is supposedly formulated to not breakdown lubricants that all other soaps do? I mean, is this really a thing in the off-road world?

If a soap is formulated to not strip waxes and sealants then it isn't going to do much for bonded dirt/grime by itself.

7. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, dgage, BudgetPlan1, vaca22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Soap is soap if its ph neutral. They will all work the same. There is no *significant* standalone cleaning power. That only comes from surface agitation and high pressure water.

It isn't until you use a soap that is either more acidic or alkaline where it begins to be strong enough to penetrate grime and dirt on its own as long as you let it dwell long enough to do its job.

That P&S soap is a gimmick. If you read its description it reads just like every other car soap in the world with the exception that it is supposedly formulated to not breakdown lubricants that all other soaps do? I mean, is this really a thing in the off-road world?

If a soap is formulated to not strip waxes and sealants then it isn't going to do much for bonded dirt/grime by itself.
    Great points I think you're right.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read, but can't confirm from personal use, that many of the ceramic infused soaps like Griot's wash and coat, HS ceramic wash, have diminished cleaning power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoBenzOwner View Post
    I've read, but can't confirm from personal use, that many of the ceramic infused soaps like Griot's wash and coat, HS ceramic wash, have diminished cleaning power.
    That sounds like nonsense.

As I stated previously, ph neutral car soaps do not have *significant* standalone cleaning power. That is why on a moderately soiled vehicle, if you just sprayed it down with soap (foam gun/foam cannon), let dwell and rinse off, the vehicle would still have bonded grime and contaminants. Why? Because ph neutral soap is not strong enough by itself. You must introduce the mechanical aspect of washing.

Cleaning comes from the agitation by your wash media (ie. wash mitt, sponge, body brush). The soap contains lubrication and the surfactants which emulsify and loosen the dirt which allows it to be temporary suspended so that it can be flushed away with water.

I believe the biggest misunderstanding of ceramic infused soaps is that because they are very low sudsing by nature, they don't "clean" as well as high sudsing soaps. That is completely false. They will clean just the same as standard soap (because cleaning comes from agitation).

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    That sounds like nonsense.

As I stated previously, ph neutral car soaps do not have *significant* standalone cleaning power. That is why on a moderately soiled vehicle, if you just sprayed it down with soap (foam gun/foam cannon), let dwell and rinse off, the vehicle would still have bonded grime and contaminants. Why? Because ph neutral soap is not strong enough by itself. You must introduce the mechanical aspect of washing.

Cleaning comes from the agitation by your wash media (ie. wash mitt, sponge, body brush). The soap contains lubrication and the surfactants which emulsify and loosen the dirt which allows it to be temporary suspended so that it can be flushed away with water.

I believe the biggest misunderstanding of ceramic infused soaps is that because they are very low sudsing by nature, they don't "clean" as well as high sudsing soaps. That is completely false. They will clean just the same as standard soap (because cleaning comes from agitation).
    No sir...i have to 100% disagree with you.

I have used wash and coat. While it did leave something behind and reveal decent beading....it actually sucked for cleaning ability. Its would serve no purpose other than to do a bucket wash on a garaged vehicle that only has dust on it from sitting.

I gave the 3/4 full bottle away.it did however smell damn good!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Forensic just did a test on APCs. I’d like to see one done with soap testing their cleaning ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    No sir...i have to 100% disagree with you.

I have used wash and coat. While it did leave something behind and reveal decent beading....it actually sucked for cleaning ability. Its would serve no purpose other than to do a bucket wash on a garaged vehicle that only has dust on it from sitting.

I gave the 3/4 full bottle away.it did however smell damn good!
    Yep. I use it post wash now since it wouldn't remove some stubborn stuck-on stuff. It's decent in that usage. It is balancing cleaning and protection.

15. Likes CleanIT, opie liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast