autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings and bird bombs

Curious how you all are dealing with bird bombs on ceramic coated vehicles. I've got an approximately one year old coat of Adam's Graphene (non-Advanced) on my Acura RDX. It's been maintained with regular washings, toppers, etc. It's been great EXCEPT for bird bomb etching. Yesterday, my car got obliterated by bird bombs at work. It then sat in the 95 degree afternoon sun and baked in. When I got home, I cleaned it up but everywhere there was a speck of bird stuff, it left a crater behind. The surface contaminants cleaned up easily, but there is definitely visible damage left behind in each spot. It looks like the typical water spot damage but not as widespread.

Frustrated, I did some testing with the iBrid Nano, a 2" Rupes blue foam pad and 3D One. It diminished the damage but it is definitely still visible. The next step would obviously be to go more aggressive on the pad/compound combination. Unfortunately, this was not one or two big spots. It was splattered in probably 30 different spots and each spot left damage. I'm assuming this is through the coating into the clear coat. That's making cleaning this up more difficult, presumably, as I'm having to cut through the coating into the clear. That also means I'm having to chase each spot with a finer polish and then of course top off the coating. What a pain in the you know what.

Before I was using a coating, I never had these issues with bird bombs. Of course, they would cause some damage, but I feel they were easier to fix. An argument could be made that this is still saving my clear coat from initial damage, but when I have to compound the coating off to remove the craters, that benefit is negated as I'm then definitely going down into the clear.

By the time I would go around the car and fix every spot, I'd be looking at having to re-coat the whole thing. The other option is to remove the coating from the whole car and switch to a durable sealant and keep it topped off with ceramic booster type products. I don't love either option because they both involve a lot of work with a machine and compound. Most of the car does not need machine polishing, but I can't leave it like this.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Is there a specific product or something else I could try on the craters before having to two step the whole car? I'm making the assumption a two step would be necessary even on areas that are not affected in order to effectively remove the coating if that's the route I went.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coatings and bird bombs

Unfortunately, coatings are not bulletproof. I’d say you were fortunate to have had the vehicle coated before this attack took place!

I’d most likely correct and re-coat the affected areas.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the Adams original graphene coating and it was the absolute worst for spotting of every type,I sent them an email and was advised to use their Revive Hand Polish. I’m not saying it’s the coating per se as bird bombs and heat plus time really can do some damage but I ended up polishing the Adams of the hood and roof and tried Meguiars coating and never had a problem since.

I believe Adams knows about these issues hence the “advanced” version came out pretty quickly, I like a lot of Adams products but the coating really left a bad taste in my mouth. I’ve been coating my cars for over 12 years and never had these spotting issues before. I also found the etching to be very difficult to remove but it’s done

5. Thanks TGates thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I had the Adams original graphene coating and it was the absolute worst for spotting of every type,I sent them an email and was advised to use their Revive Hand Polish. I’m not saying it’s the coating per se as bird bombs and heat plus time really can do some damage but I ended up polishing the Adams of the hood and roof and tried Meguiars coating and never had a problem since.

I believe Adams knows about these issues hence the “advanced” version came out pretty quickly, I like a lot of Adams products but the coating really left a bad taste in my mouth. I’ve been coating my cars for over 12 years and never had these spotting issues before. I also found the etching to be very difficult to remove but it’s done
    I agree with your assessment of the coating. It was a bear to remove and has not been very forgiving in terms of spotting/etching. Last night I went over it with some Griot's Ceramic All-in-One and it reduced the spots but definitely did not remove them. It did clean the coating up and remove some fine scratches I had accumulated in the coating. I will ty the Revive Hand Polish but I have to assume it would be less aggressive than what I've already tried with the machine. Thanks for the input.

I wonder if a layer of the Graphene Advanced Spray on top of the standard graphene coating would be beneficial in any way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the coating. It was a bear to remove and has not been very forgiving in terms of spotting/etching. Last night I went over it with some Griot's Ceramic All-in-One and it reduced the spots but definitely did not remove them. It did clean the coating up and remove some fine scratches I had accumulated in the coating. I will ty the Revive Hand Polish but I have to assume it would be less aggressive than what I've already tried with the machine. Thanks for the input.

I wonder if a layer of the Graphene Advanced Spray on top of the standard graphene coating would be beneficial in any way?
    I didn’t try the advanced version after the disappointing experience I had with the original and I agree on the Revive although it is more of a chemical cleaner but I had to use Menzerna FG 400 to clear up my hood and roof

Post Thanks / Like

Bird bombs are nasty and damaging if left alone too long. When I detailed back in California many moons ago now I can remember all of my coast customers get hit by the damn seagulls and it would etch the clear in 15 to 20 minutes. Not sure what those nasty critters ate but it was horrible! Bird poo is very acidic cause they poop and pee all in one bomb so it must be cleaned up properly right away.

Carry some quick detailer with you and soft towels, wet the towel, place it on the bird bomb and LIFT the crap up, don't rub it off as birds eat grit and then crap it out. Discard your towel and some people will use a baking soda rinse to neutralize the crap I have been told but that's just a lot of trouble to me.

As I always tell my clients, paint coatings are not bullet proof as their main job is to make cleaning and maintenance easier. That's it really.

9. Likes TGates liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post

We all like a good conspiracy but that is just here say. It is the same product with more active ingredient to increase the durability. It is close to their pro level coating that is available to the consumer. A little more difficult to apply.

There is a misconception that Graphene does not spot. They are just less prone and they still spot.

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post

A polisher is the way to go with a more abrasive polish and a pad. I have had zero issues removing either Graphene coating with a polish.

Also that AIO more than likely removed the coating of not degraded it. There is no way to distinguish if the defects are in the coating or paint. In general if the defects are being removed then so is the coating.

A coating is not bulletproof as stated. If bird droppings can etch clear coat then they can easily etch a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for educating me Guz, this is the 12th coating my personal cars plus others. The coating got demolished in less then 2 months with less than 500 miles on it because I was going thru chemo. I didn’t even bother me as I know stuff happens from time to time but Adams answer was to use Revive which I knew wasn’t going to cut it so with other things more important going on at the time I just started fresh.

12. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Also that AIO more than likely removed the coating of not degraded it. There is no way to distinguish if the defects are in the coating or paint. In general if the defects are being removed then so is the coating.

A coating is not bulletproof as stated. If bird droppings can etch clear coat then they can easily etch a coating.

That's what I'm hoping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco View Post
    Bird bombs are nasty and damaging if left alone too long. When I detailed back in California many moons ago now I can remember all of my coast customers get hit by the damn seagulls and it would etch the clear in 15 to 20 minutes. Not sure what those nasty critters ate but it was horrible! Bird poo is very acidic cause they poop and pee all in one bomb so it must be cleaned up properly right away.

Carry some quick detailer with you and soft towels, wet the towel, place it on the bird bomb and LIFT the crap up, don't rub it off as birds eat grit and then crap it out. Discard your towel and some people will use a baking soda rinse to neutralize the crap I have been told but that's just a lot of trouble to me.

As I always tell my clients, paint coatings are not bullet proof as their main job is to make cleaning and maintenance easier. That's it really.
    Unless I can somehow to convince my boss to let me check on my car in the parking lot every 10 minutes, I'm not sure having a bottle of detail spray and a microfiber towel would have helped much in this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast