autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm about done with ceramic coatings, not worth it , need suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I've never had rain create spots a wash could not remove.

i m in the same boat. We had the the audis for over a yeesr. The grey one sits outside and we never noticed this before. A car wash was enough to keep the car clean. It is only after gyeon pure evo that we started noticing this. Its bad enough that we can see it without looking for it. Its not just one car but 2 of them

i remember having a similar issue , not as bad with opti coat but i never to repolish a panel

2. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not anti-coating. Even though I do not use them on my truck.

I have applied them to my wife's wheels, and I have now applied coatings to about a dozen vehicles for friends. The finished product is pretty outstanding, and it gives a ton of benefits as all of the guys have already mentioned.

All of that said, the tedious prep and application stipulations (flash times, cure times, etc.) are not for me. Never will be.

To Rick the OP, if you are looking to jump back into the "Caveman Camp" with us, there are some great sealants and hybrid waxes out there.

My list would be this:

1) Collinite 476s or 915 (paste hybrid)

2) Finish Kare 1000P (paste hybrid)

3) Collinite 845 (liquid hybrid)

4) Griot's ceramic 3-in1 (spray Si02)

5) Wolfgang Si02 paint sealant (liquid Si02).

Each and every one of these are great non-coating products. Not even the staunchest coating Nazi would deny me that..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes CleanIT, ddsski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    There are are number of good sealants out there but just as an FYI, you don't need to throw out wipe-off towels, only applicators. Coatings don't ruin wipe off towels, just launder them as normal.

Ceramics offer plenty of benefits. I won't re-list what most all of them already market but I think in your situation, while I don't have an answer as to why you're seeing water spots, the facts still remain that ceramics offer plenty of up-side and little down side. They aren't for everyone that's for sure.

Not surprising. 99% of gloss is from the polish phase not the LSP, ceramic included. I keep a HUGE portfolio of work on my website and even in person, let alone pics and videos, one would not know or "see" the difference in products I use regularly.

I've had great luck with Gliss v2 and even SiC or GYEON MOHS EVO as a coating. Again, can't say I can fully understand what's happening in your situation. I've been using coatings for years and haven't had issues with water spots except for very hard municiple water like sprinkler at a hotel, etc. since very early on. The newer products I've used area all very good and resistant.

The only real suggestion I would have would be to use a topper like 3D Bead it Up or one of the other many different types of coating compatible products. I've owned no less than 8 black cars and haven't had any issues.
    Thanks for the response

Im now using gliss v2 since it is what i had. Any real world experience on durability? . It claims a year but its not really a coating

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I have applied them to my wife's wheels, and I have now applied coatings to about a dozen vehicles for friends. The finished product is pretty outstanding, and it gives a ton of benefits as all of the guys have already mentioned.

All of that said, the tedious prep and application stipulations (flash times, cure times, etc.) are not for me. Never will be.

To Rick the OP, if you are looking to jump back into the "Caveman Camp" with us, there are some great sealants and hybrid waxes out there.

My list would be this:

Each and every one of these are great non-coating products. Not even the staunchest coating Nazi would deny me that..........
    Awesome . Thanks for the suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    There are are number of good sealants out there but just as an FYI, you don't need to throw out wipe-off towels, only applicators. Coatings don't ruin wipe off towels, just launder them as normal.

Ceramics offer plenty of benefits. I won't re-list what most all of them already market but I think in your situation, while I don't have an answer as to why you're seeing water spots, the facts still remain that ceramics offer plenty of up-side and little down side. They aren't for everyone that's for sure.

Not surprising. 99% of gloss is from the polish phase not the LSP, ceramic included. I keep a HUGE portfolio of work on my website and even in person, let alone pics and videos, one would not know or "see" the difference in products I use regularly.

I've had great luck with Gliss v2 and even SiC or GYEON MOHS EVO as a coating. Again, can't say I can fully understand what's happening in your situation. I've been using coatings for years and haven't had issues with water spots except for very hard municiple water like sprinkler at a hotel, etc. since very early on. The newer products I've used area all very good and resistant.

The only real suggestion I would have would be to use a topper like 3D Bead it Up or one of the other many different types of coating compatible products. I've owned no less than 8 black cars and haven't had any issues.
    I just took the grey audi outside to have a look. Honestly i can not tell the difference between the ceramic coating sections and gliss. Again it may be me eyes but gliss actually may look a tiny bit better . I asked my cousin to tell me if he can guess what side has ceramic coating anf which one doesnt. He said the whole car looks exactly the same. I drove the car under a shaded area where the paint pops more and the samething, the whole car is glowing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

My list would be this:

Each and every one of these are great non-coating products. Not even the staunchest coating Nazi would not deny me that..........
    I’m with Paul, but he might’ve forgot one that is also very solid, Sonax PNS. I applied it to my daughters X3 yesterday since she’s going to college later this week and she’s not big on washing a car…I fully trust PNS will do a great job.

Applied it yesterday…25 hours later and it’s raining now!

JF

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Likes PaulMys, CleanIT, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I’m with Paul, but he might’ve forgot one that is also very solid, Sonax PNS. I applied it to my daughters X3 yesterday since she’s going to college later this week and she’s not big on washing a car…I fully trust PNS will do a great job.

Applied it yesterday…25 hours later and it’s raining now!

JF

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Great suggestion, Jay. My list was of the products I have used personally, but there are certainly many more including the Sonax.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    One of Cquartz SiC focuses was to provide more protection from chemicals/minerals. It can be used by itself or over CQuartz UK 3.0, which is a really good combination for most protection by a coating.

But while that might work for you, I’m not sure that’s what I would suggest. I would look for a coating or sealant that focuses more on sheeting the water, which is more popular in Europe vs the beading that Americans seem to prefer.

Guys and gals, any paint protection recommendations that sheet instead of bead that you’d recommend?
    The problem with sheeting is getting enough liquid on the surface to sheet. Sure when you spray with a hose it will sheet but in a rain not enough volume to cause sheeting.

I read this as a post from a manufacturer (Gyeon maybe?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not one of the non coating products is making it through a Minnesota winter.

I can fire my car through a touchless wash in February and have it come out looking like a fresh summer wash.

A Si02 spray, wax or sealant is not doing that nor is it even going to last until February if applied in the fall
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

14. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    if you read the instruction on the website , gyeon only recommends pure of you are doing an outdoor application and there is a possibility of rain in the next 24 hours. These 2 cars were park inside a garage for 48 hours and none of them saw rain the first 4 days. But again, goes back to the same statement, you need to use something to protect the coating ..

i may as well just use cure by itself. The hydrophobic properties on my car will be the ones of the top layer which in this case would be cure
    I have seen different. My last car had no coating on hood to test different products. The way water responded to the topper on bare paint and my CQUK3 and CC were completely different. Coating always “shined” through.

Only time was close was with two products I mentioned.

I have not seen toppers adversely affect a coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast