autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about Gyeon Wetcoat on wheels...

I’ve been using wet coat on my wheels for a couple years now, and have absolutely no problems with it , here is my procedure:

-Depending on how dirty the wheel is , either apply a wheel cleaner or just clean with Dawn dishwashing soap
    -completely wet the wheel and spray on wet coat, making sure I don’t focus on the tire, and just do the wheel
    -spray it hard with the hose, dry with leaf blower
    -wipe down the tire with something mild like Windex or water, Once a year I “clean slate” the tire with stoners Tarminator
    -apply my tire dressing/coat- current using the turtle wax hybrid solutions product.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadDrinks View Post
    Just wanted to follow up with my experience putting Gyeon WetCoat on the wheels using the steps I described above. As I suspected, the WetCoat did impact my ability to apply a dressing to the tires afterwards. See picture below - I washed the car as usual, applied WetCoat to the wheels, rinsed off, went about drying off and waxing the car and then applied Chemical Guys VRP to the tires themselves.

This dressing has worked well for me in the past, leaving a nice dark tire for at least a week or two - very consistent coloration as well. Not this time! You can see where the WetCoat has presumable added some hydrophobicity or protection to the tires themselves creating an uneven application of the tire dressing.

Timeframe was - washed the car in the morning, went for a long drive (Around 700km), and noticed the odd pattern when I arrived at my destination and took a picture.

I'm unsure what I can do to change my process - maybe apply the WetCoat using a microfiber instead, to prevent it from spraying on to the tires themselves? This might be a skip for me for the wheels at least.

Attachment 75450
    I have tried this combination a few times and have not experienced this issue. Very strange.

Perhaps try using a Si02 type dressing like Carpro Perl and see if that makes a difference, but again, a very odd result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I have tried this combination a few times and have not experienced this issue. Very strange.

Perhaps try using a Si02 type dressing like Carpro Perl and see if that makes a difference, but again, a very odd result.

DFB, you sure do love posting your large photo galleries to every one of your posts huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    I plan on applying Cancoat Evo to the entire car in a couple weeks. Can I just apply Cancoat Evo to the wheels as well, or should I buy Gyeon Rim for the wheels?

If it makes a difference, this is an electric car, so there is very little brake dust.
    Use Q2 RIM. It's a great product and will far out-last CanCoat. I use both in detailing and RIM is my go-to as it's super easy to use and lasts a long time. I also use GEYON's WetCoat ever few weeks to keep the barrels of my own personal cars that have Q2 RIM on them performing well.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your responses, really appreciated. I have thought about this a little more and have a few more points to add.

The dressing did in fact apply just fine initially - after I had washed the car, done the WetCoat and applied the dressing, it looked nice and even and clean like it usually does, like the picture posted by DFB.

I am just guessing but I suspect that because there was no sitting / drying period after I had applied the WetCoat and dressing (After washing the car I pretty much immediately embarked on a 700km road trip) the effect that I had posted a picture about is likely due to some combination of water / moisture / WetCoat still in the rim recesses, and undercarriage, and the tire dressing not being totally dried.

It's just a hunch, but I am willing to bet that if the car had sat for a couple hours before going out, that I would not have seen such a pronounced effect.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the Wet Coat to be useless if you actively wash the wheels, greatrinse aid though and a quick pop to a detail..Probaly same as all the other spray products in the lineup, just diluted 90%...........so very profitable...........
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123